NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Krauser said:

For better or worse, the Vikings plan is to keep Cousins at QB for the long term. He's 32 this year, without any long-term injury concerns. His game should age well. 

Unless Love earns a second contract with the Packers, there's a good chance Cousins will be starting in Minnesota even after GB has moved on from Love.

Even after adding Ngakoue the Vikings have invested less at edge than GB has, with two premium UFA contracts for the Smiths and Gary as a top 12 pick. Not that edge isn't important, but it's hard for Packers fans to fault the Vikings for overinvesting in the position.

MIN has two late 1st round picks at corner, plus a 3rd rounder and a UDFA who might've been a day 2 pick if he hadn't been suspended for THC. That's a comparable investment to the Packers CB group. The Vikings group is unproven but it's not like the team didn't add talent at the position.

They've also invested a lot into the OL with a 1st rounder, two 2nds, an early 3rd and multiple day 3 picks, all taken within the last 4 drafts. The problem isn't a lack of investment, it's that aside from O'Neill the players they've added have failed to meet expectations. 

Given the Vikings track record, it's a safe bet that their young corners will be pretty good and their young OL will be pretty bad.

Eh...tried a long post to yah @Krauser  

I'll condense.  Always appreciate your posts.

Regarding your team?  Corners are unproven, some with medical issues.  (thinking Hughes?)  Cool thing about your team is that you have the safeties (this year) to cover up their mistakes.  Harris could be gone soon.  Smith ain't getting any younger.

O-line is weak.  No way to sugar coat it.

QB is third best in the division, he needs/deserves a better line.  Bradbury got wedgied by Clark twice last year.  It's gonna happen for a long time.

I thought if you really wanted to get better as a team, you needed better linemen.  You just sent picks away that could have been invested there.  And you are going to drop a lot of money on a guy and that money could have been given to the line.

I don't like the idea of playing Yannick and Hunter twice a year, but I'd rather that than face your team with Hunter and a much better offensive line.

We are both in the same boat concerning our running back.

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Krauser said:

Unless Love earns a second contract with the Packers, there's a good chance Cousins will be starting in Minnesota even after GB has moved on from Love.

All of this is assuming Love sucks. Which is entirely possible.  If he’s good, there’s no way GB let’s him walk unless Rodgers is playing Brady level as a geriatric. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Corners are unproven, some with medical issues.  (thinking Hughes?)

Hughes doesn't have any known long-term medical problem. ACL in 2018 and a cracked vertebra late last year, which has reportedly healed.

Point is that they did invest there. 

QB is third best in the division, he needs/deserves a better line.  Bradbury got wedgied by Clark twice last year.  It's gonna happen for a long time.

Cousins has been more or less on par with Stafford, and he's about as good as Rodgers given his decline. He would be helped considerably by a better OL, agreed.

Bradbury was a rookie, so might improve, though he has a long way to go and the Vikings have a poor track record developing OL.

I thought if you really wanted to get better as a team, you needed better linemen.  You just sent picks away that could have been invested there.  And you are going to drop a lot of money on a guy and that money could have been given to the line.

I don't like the idea of playing Yannick and Hunter twice a year, but I'd rather that than face your team with Hunter and a much better offensive line.

They drafted OL in the 1st, 4th and 6th last year. Two of those guys are probably going to start. They drafted OL in the 2nd this year, and he'll probably start next year. They still have 11 picks in the 2021 draft. The problem isn't a lack of picks.

They haven't had anyone on the line worth paying since their entire OL got picked off by snipers in 2015-16. They paid Reiff and Remmers, which was better than nothing, but you can't really fix the OL in free agency. 

For better or worse, the OL is going to be O'Neill, Bradbury and some combination of Udoh, Elflein, Cleveland, Samia, Hinton, Brandel and whoever they draft next year. If those guys suck or get hurt, the OL will be bad. But there isn't a version where they break the bank to bring in a free agent before finding out how good their own guys actually are.

On 8/30/2020 at 5:37 PM, Outpost31 said:

Damn, Derwin James to miss significant time.  Did he have injury issues in college? If so, great move by Gute.  Hall of Fame talent and putting it together on the field isn’t worth much if you’re never on the field.

Still sucks.  I became a fan of football because of the safety position.  Sucks to see one so great miss so much time.

I did too! When I was a kid I went to the gym with my dad and told the trainer I wanted to work out to be a safety.

High school coach stuck me at LB and OL though....

Man, the New Orleans Saints are hosed.  They're on deck for $254,181,619 in terms of cap liabilities for next year, the cap is set to be between $175m and $210m, Kamara wants to get paid, and there's basically no obvious cuts they can make to make room.  This year might be their last shot with this particular version of the team, and the prospect of "the NFL season will be cut short" looms large.

30 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

And they are on the hook for 16 million for Taysom Hill next season too...

This is the most baffling thing about the entire Saints boondoggle.

Also "the cap is not real" sort of cap shenanigans are precisely why the Saints are in this position- you can only mortgage the future for so long before the bill is due.

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Man, the New Orleans Saints are hosed.  They're on deck for $254,181,619 in terms of cap liabilities for next year, the cap is set to be between $175m and $210m, Kamara wants to get paid, and there's basically no obvious cuts they can make to make room.  This year might be their last shot with this particular version of the team, and the prospect of "the NFL season will be cut short" looms large.

31 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

*Looks at Drew Brees' dead cap hit*

yikes!

And they are on the hook for 16 million for Taysom Hill next season too...

11 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Still operating on the idea that the cap is real.. Stop believing in fairy tales. 

They have some contracts that can be cut and get back around 40M.  Restructures of some of the heavy priced players.   

GOing to be interesting for a few teams on what the 2021 cap space will look like.  My guess is some NFL and NFLPA agreement to "burrow" cap space from the 2022 -2024 cap space and it will be a more flat cap for those years.  

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Also "the cap is not real" sort of cap shenanigans are precisely why the Saints are in this position- you can only mortgage the future for so long before the bill is due.

This is what people who say the cap isn’t real miss.  It isn’t for two seasons.  You keep pretending the cap isn’t real and you turn a 2 year rebuild into a 6 year rebuild regardless of whether or not you win a Super Bowl.

21 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The Saints have essentially been in perpetual cap hell since their super bowl. All 2nd contracts are basically 2-3 year deals and player shelf life is only like 5 years anyways. You may lose a guy here and there that you dont want but you should be able to keep your core intact until the contract is renewable/tradable/deletable. 

For like 4 years everyone has been saying the Vikings are screwed. But which of their players that they let go arent past their prime or is a major loss? Like maybe they wouldve liked keeping Trae around? Does he change their defense though? 

The money comes due, but players expire faster.

28 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This is what people who say the cap isn’t real miss.  It isn’t for two seasons.  You keep pretending the cap isn’t real and you turn a 2 year rebuild into a 6 year rebuild regardless of whether or not you win a Super Bowl.

I dont buy it. Which team self evaluated correctly, paid the right players, but imploded because they just couldnt find enough cash? 

If the cap is $175m in 2021, 12 teams are already over the cap for that year (this includes the Packers and the Vikings) but for all but seven of those the amount of work needed is well beyond the realm of "normal cap massaging."  The Texans have to find $20m, the Chiefs $30m, the Falcons $39m, the Saints $78m, and the Eagles $90m

Edited by PossibleCabbage

Also I'm only like 25% serious about this. Its my conspiracy. 

I wish the cap was more of an obstacle to contend with. And it upsets me when the teams who are in trouble always find a neat little loophole to slide everyone into. 

When it takes a global disaster to effect it that takes some of the fun out of it.

13 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

They probably don't care. This is likely Brees' last season, win or lose. They spent big money on Sanders and Jenkins to bolster both sides of the ball. Saints are the definition of "all in" this year.