Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

13 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

In general, MN sports fans have no concept of talent. And I blame that on the cynical sports writing that has had a stranglehold on the local media for decades. 

I don't think it's about having a concept of talent. It's more that the numbers simply don't pop. Plus, watching Mauer for his entire career, there were a lot of questions about his availability. Then he was a mediocre first basemen for the last years of his career. No one questioned his talent, when fully healthy and behind the plate, but I think it's fair to question if the overall resume screamed "first ballot." Again, good for Mauer. I just figured he'd have to wait a couple of years.

I'm also of the opinion that "first ballot" should be reserved for guys like Ichiro, Griffey, Mariano Rivera, Pedro Martinez, Cal Ripken Jr., Tony Gwynn, Hank Aaron, Nolan Ryan and the like. Guys who were clear anomolies for long periods of time. The best of the best. I think guys like Mauer should get in, but wait. Especially when guys like Yogi Berra, Joe Dimaggio, Harmon Killebrew, and Tris Speaker weren't in on the first ballot. 

I get that things change, times change. But there have now been 60 first ballot Hall of Famers in MLB. Does Mauer seem like he should be on that exclusive list?

• Like 1

I saw Kirby Puckett, Kent Hrbek, Tom Brunansky and Gary Gaetti play in their primes...I have a concept of talent.  And certainly Mauer was talented at what he did at catcher, but I always just question the length of his time there...and the fact that he never truly delivered on the bat as far as HRs.  And we certainly don't want to get into the playoff record (only 1 career RBI in the postseason), which certainly isn't everything, but it's part of the story.     

Twins traded Jorge Polanco to Seattle. Get Anthony Descalsi (name spelled wrong). He's not a major part of the deal. More important parts, Justin Topa, a reliever, likely going to be in the pen. And then prospect Gabriel Gonzalez, a solid looking OF prospect.

I love the trade, Polanco didn't have a spot on the team.

They starting pitcher costs zero because of money moving to the twins, they save almost ten million, which they've said they will spend, they added a legit relief pitcher, a good prospect, and a flyer prospect.... If they spend the money wisely, they replaced Polanco, added a RP, and got two minor league players.... How is that not a win?

7 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

They starting pitcher costs zero because of money moving to the twins, they save almost ten million, which they've said they will spend, they added a legit relief pitcher, a good prospect, and a flyer prospect.... If they spend the money wisely, they replaced Polanco, added a RP, and got two minor league players.... How is that not a win?

Is the starter any good? I didn't expect to get that much. 

45 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Is the starter any good? I didn't expect to get that much. 

Not really, he's a decent #4-5 option when healthy. But for almost no money for him because Seattle ate most of the contract, that's what I'd expect. The reliever and the prospect are the real pieces in the trade. 

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I didn’t even realize that Polanco was on the roster. 

I hadn't heard about him in a couple of years around here, so I thought he had been gone already.  🤣

Since they traded him to Seattle, is one of the prospects going to turn into David Ortiz?

Edited by swede700

Patrick Mahomes Sr. was behind the wheel with an open 16-ounce beer and struggled in multiple sobriety tests during his arrest for suspected drunk driving, according to a police affidavit obtained by the New York Post on Monday. He showed signs of intoxication in tests for eye-tracking, walking in a straight line and turning, and standing on one leg when he was stopped in Tyler, Texas, on Saturday.

Mahomes Sr., who’s out on $10,000 bail for at least his third DWI arrest, told officers he had a few beers while watching sports at a local bar, cops said. He was sentenced to 40 days in jail for a previous DWI in 2019.

The former New York Mets and Minnesota Twins pitcher could face up to 10 years in state prison for the third-degree felony charge if convicted.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/patrick-mahomes-sr-arrest-details_n_65c21c30e4b093b2e7810152