Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

41 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

Rick Spielman started working with the Vikings in 2006. The Vikings have had 14 first round picks in his tenure. There have been 7 offensive picks and 7 defensive.

Offense:

AP- Great Pick

Percy Harvin- Had a few good years

Christian Ponder- Bust

Matt Kalil- Bust

Cordarrelle Patterson- Bust

Teddy Bridgewater- Can't grade due to injury

Laquon- Bust

Defense:

Greenway- great pick

Harrison Smith- great pick

Sharrif Floyd- can't grade due to injury

Xavier Rhodes- great pick

Anthony Barr- good pick

Trae Waynes- good pick

Hughes- too early to tell

Throughout Spielmans tenure, we have "hit" on 5/6 if you count Floyd as a bust (and not counting Hughes yet). On offense we have hit on 2/7.

I personally think this is a flawed way to view things. A pass/fail grade for something as dynamic as a player draft is highly reductive thinking and relies too much on results and not enough on process.

For example: was Matt Kalil really a bad pick?  Sure he was a bust and better players were certainly taken after him, but he checked every single box the Vikings were looking for at that time and was widely regarded as a top prospect.

Conversely, was Anthony Barr a good pick? This one is a tougher analysis, but a good argument can be made that Donald should have been taken at 9, even knowing only what we knew then.

A further example of how examining the process is more important is looking at the Teddy Bridgewater pick. You noted it as incomplete, yet imo it was a brilliant draft decision. The pick was made after acquiring additional ammo from trading pick 8 to 9, the team desperately needed a young QB and he was a guy they believed in so aggressively moving up for him was the right move; it just didn't work out.

• Like 3

With Easton off the market it is continually looking less likely that our current GM is going to be able to cobble anything respectable together on the offensive line before the draft. I am unwilling to wait any longer than that. There comes a point when a decision needs to be made by the guy above him. After the draft is the perfect time to change GMs. If the we make it to the draft and we don't look like we have an offensive line that has even a reasonable chance of being in the top 20 of the league I will no longer blame the GM for the failure. When the draft starts, I will be blaming the owner for continuing to employee what would be an obvious failure of a GM.

The current GM has literally had years to work on the problem and looks completely incapable. I wholeheartedly disagree with his approach to solving the obvious problem. Ultimately, the GM is responsible for hiring the coaches too; if the coaches being unable to develop players is the problem the buck still stops with the GM. 

Just now, Cearbhall said:

With Easton off the market it is continually looking less likely that our current GM is going to be able to cobble anything respectable together on the offensive line before the draft. I am unwilling to wait any longer than that. There comes a point when a decision needs to be made by the guy above him. After the draft is the perfect time to change GMs. If the we make it to the draft and we don't look like we have an offensive line that has even a reasonable chance of being in the top 20 of the league I will no longer blame the GM for the failure. When the draft starts, I will be blaming the owner for continuing to employee what would be an obvious failure of a GM.

The current GM has literally had years to work on the problem and looks completely incapable. I wholeheartedly disagree with his approach to solving the obvious problem. Ultimately, the GM is responsible for hiring the coaches too; if the coaches being unable to develop players is the problem the buck still stops with the GM. 

This is a big statement after missing out on a guy that is coming off a herniated disk in his neck....

I do understand your point, but where do you find a capable GM this late in the process? 

We could say Paton, but he is also very involved in the process. 

If he is going to fail, let him fail with his mistakes, and let us sit back, and watch a rebuild.

To be honest, there are better guard options still available then Easton in my opinion, but like I said, I understand where you are coming from

15 teams have below average offensive lines. 

Spielman had “cobbled together” a roster that is considered to be one of the 4 or 5 best in the league. A large part of that is valuing talent where it should be valued. 

In the salary cap era, every team had weaknesses unless they have an all time great QB who is taking less than market value, or a QB on a rookie deal. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Viking Penguin said:

This needs to happen, he can move around the interior.  Then add to the O-line with 2 picks in the first 3 rounds.

I would love to see 2 O lineman picked in the first 3 rounds, but I would also love to see a Tight end and a Wide Receiver. I really hope they can move back form 18 and pick up some more picks

$24 mil for a guy who was average, at best, when he played is a questionable move by itself. But that contract for a guy that has had back to back season ending injuries, to include a herniated disc in his neck? Looks like the Saints panicked after the Unger news.

People would have been incensed if the news came out that the Vikings signed Easton to this contract. Everyone was looking at him as a 1-2 year guy for low money. A guy who may have been the favorite for the LG job, but who they expected to have some competition. Not get handed a starting job. 

Just for comparison: Nick Easton’s 2017 PFF grade was 41.5 at LG, while Tom Compton’s 2018 PFF grade was 60.6.

A year ago many were calling for his replacement because he was the weakest point along the offensive line. Now people are upset. Too funny. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

$24 mil for a guy who was average, at best, when he played is a questionable move by itself. But that contract for a guy that has had back to back season ending injuries, to include a herniated disc in his neck? Looks like the Saints panicked after the Unger news.

People would have been incensed if the news came out that the Vikings signed Easton to this contract. Everyone was looking at him as a 1-2 year guy for low money. A guy who may have been the favorite for the LG job, but who they expected to have some competition. Not get handed a starting job. 

A year ago many were calling for his replacement because he was the weakest point along the offensive line. Now people are upset. Too funny. 

This I get the frustration but why bid into cap hell. I nearly spit my soda when i saw Eastons deal.

7 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

I personally think this is a flawed way to view things. A pass/fail grade for something as dynamic as a player draft is highly reductive thinking and relies too much on results and not enough on process.

For example: was Matt Kalil really a bad pick?  Sure he was a bust and better players were certainly taken after him, but he checked every single box the Vikings were looking for at that time and was widely regarded as a top prospect.

Conversely, was Anthony Barr a good pick? This one is a tougher analysis, but a good argument can be made that Donald should have been taken at 9, even knowing only what we knew then.

A further example of how examining the process is more important is looking at the Teddy Bridgewater pick. You noted it as incomplete, yet imo it was a brilliant draft decision. The pick was made after acquiring additional ammo from trading pick 8 to 9, the team desperately needed a young QB and he was a guy they believed in so aggressively moving up for him was the right move; it just didn't work out.

Yeah this wasn't meant to be an indictment on Spielman, I just couldn't remember the last time we drafted an offensive player in the first that lived up to their draft status. Could easily be coaching that came up short, or maybe they missed something in the pre-draft process that could have indicated these guys would bust.