Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

2 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

One playoff win is brilliant? Low bar.

C'mon Son.  ¬¬  Is the cloudy Portland weather getting to you even more than normal? 

You can still recognize how good of a roster it is and consider it a very good job of assembling the roster.  Let's not forget one of those playoff losses never have happened, considering it came at the foot of a kicker missing a chip-shot FG.  You can't blame Spielman for that. 

Sometimes, you have to have the ability to see the forest through the trees.  Within the constraints of the rules, I can reasonably say that he has done a brilliant job of assembling the roster...outside of the offensive line.  There aren't that many teams that have been as competitive on a year to year basis as they have been here, despite some of the obstacles that have faced them...and that has to count for Spielman.      

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Sometimes, you have to have the ability to see the forest through the trees.  Within the constraints of the rules, I can reasonably say that he has done a brilliant job of assembling the roster...outside of the offensive line.  There aren't that many teams that have been as competitive on a year to year basis as they have been here, despite some of the obstacles that have faced them...and that has to count for Spielman. 

I agree that Spielman has done a very good job of assembling the rest of the team with the possible exception of QB. Some pretty bad mistakes have been made at QB. How much I like some of the other things he has done is why I have given him so much leeway with his inability to deal with the offensive line. I was hoping that he would learn. However, throughout his time I have seen no signs of improvement at all. In the end, having a decent offensive line it too important to stick with a guy that simply can't get it done.

In previous years I have been a Rick Spielman supporter. I have defended him in the face of others calling for his head. I do not take a GM change lightly. It will mean other changes throughout the organization. If the offensive line is completely broken by the time we get to the draft I will have lost all confidence in Rick Spielman. To this point, I have blamed Spielman for the shortcomings of the offensive line. After that, I will be blaming someone higher up for continuing to let it happen for so many years and not having the cajones to make a change.

3 hours ago, byuvike88 said:
I still don't understand why they haven't created more cap room before now. 

I’m sure they have been trying to. 

1) players don’t exactly like pay cuts, one reason we were able to with Griffen was because he’s been a veteran with the team,  we stuck by him thru his mental breakdown, and he wanted to help bring Barr back

2) One way to look at the Rudolph situation, with it being a business, PR and even other players morals do matter. The guy is looked up upon in the MN area by kids, families and the rest of the team. Asking a player to take a pay cut that hasn’t done anything wrong and helps the community with much of him money isn’t exactly the greatest look, especially people that help sponsor Vikings events and even the stadium that Rudolph is also part of.

They also could be looking at the future, an extension to lower his 2019 cap would also put on an extra year on his contract, they could be just looking forward for the easy way out and just let him make money elsewhere instead of keeping him around at a higher price for a player that has been slightly in the decline. 

3) Waynes is another player that we could move to create cap room. You also have to  look to the future. He projects right now to at least bring back at least a 3rd round comp pick as long as he stays healthy and has a similar year to this past year. It’s hard to sell him for less and in reality makes the team worse. Are we better off moving him for less value and signing lower level talent on the OL that is available, or keeping him and just starting rookies/players closer to the vet minimum. 

Moving on from Waynes just to sign lower level talent isn’t exactly making the team better. If a trade comes along for the right price they will move him.

4) The team knows as well, we have 56 players currently on roster, from now until the regular season the top 51 players are the only ones that count against the salary cap. We have players in that top 51 that probably won’t end up making the team. We still currently can fill roster spots with rookies/UDFA/Vet min deals. They know at some point something is going to have to happen. We praise Rob B because he is excellent with the cap, they collectively will try and figure something out.

7 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

How would you go about making sure that isn't the case leading up to the draft?

I would have started working on the problem the first day I had the job. I would not have waited this long. Rick has backed himself into a corner by now. His options are not many. There is nobody left on the free agent market that I would rely on as starters. There are still some guys that can come in as depth although I would be considering that a lot of the depth will be coming from the draft. To get starters now, I would be working the phones at this point to find a trade. It will be expensive, but that is the cost of putting yourself in the situation.

4 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

There is nobody left on the free agent market that I would rely on as starters. 

Although it's not a popular opinion, I think Compton can start in this league. However, I only think he can start if he is your worst starter. The problem with last year was he was our 3rd best lineman. That can't happen. If Reiff and Elflein have good years, O'Neill continues to improve, and we get a good starter at RG, I think Compton can be an average starter at LG. However, that is A LOT of ifs.