Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

Coinciding with a wild turn of events last Tuesday when Anthony Barr reneged his verbal commitment to the Jets only to return to the team that drafted him on a new five-year deal, the Vikings simultaneously came up with the parameters of a contract restructure for Everson Griffen.

The three-time Pro Bowler took roughly a $3 million pay cut to stay with the team that drafted him in 2010 to provide the Vikings some relief with their financials.

In terms of Griffen’s career longevity, staying in Minnesota may have helped prolong that, too.

Had Griffen wanted to go elsewhere and chase another big payday, he could have. NFL teams are always in search of pass-rushers, but the security of seeking a big contract while having to prove he can return to his Pro Bowl form might have shortened his career instead of prolonging it.

http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/28288/why-staying-in-minnesota-could-prolong-everson-griffens-career

8 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I mean, it would be nice to have a backup, but is this guy any good at all?

Played injured last year, before that he was ranked in the top half of the guards in the NFL, so it “should” be an improvement over what we had. 

Also note, I believe the Titans changed OLine coaches last year

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I mean, it would be nice to have a backup, but is this guy any good at all?

As gw said above, he was better prior to last year.  Mind you, he also had 2 of the best OL coaches in the game (Scarnecchia and Grimm) prior to last year, where the coach was only on his 2nd year as a position coach period.  So, if he's signed here, I think with Dennison's experience, he should rebound.

10 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Played injured last year, before that he was ranked in the top half of the guards in the NFL

I don't know anything about Kline but based on that description it seems we can count on about as much out of him as we can out of Elflein. That is to say, I wouldn't count on either being an above average starter but there is reason for some hope. Between the two of them, maybe the team can salvage some starting caliber play.

• Like 2