Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

10 hours ago, FEARtheELF said:

^^^ And that’s on top of dealing with a half of season and loss of revenue from Covid-19. The world of a small market MLB team is as challenging as it gets 

What is the actual reason for no salary cap in MLB? It seems so outdated and such a old concept I cant believe there hasnt been something with creating a cap 

35 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

What is the actual reason for no salary cap in MLB? It seems so outdated and such a old concept I cant believe there hasnt been something with creating a cap 

It’s negotiated in the collective bargaining agreement between the MLBPA and owners. 

The MLBPA has done a better job than most other major American sports in not surrendering Control over the payroll in terms of salary cap and guaranteed money  The two things are likely to never be let go by the players  

The luxury tax does actually help prevent big market teams from widening the gap even further. 

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Bieber

Mckenzie

Civale

Plesac

Those are the cornerstone pitchers for the next 5 years. Kinda curious who the 5th guy will be.

Also, trade deadline is the 31st. If we move Clev, I’m looking at Atlanta.

I’m still not convinced we don’t keep clev. He’s a great middle rotation guy. That starting 5 could be great for a long time. 

4 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’m still not convinced we don’t keep clev. He’s a great middle rotation guy. That starting 5 could be great for a long time. 

I don’t think this would happen, but I’d love to get Cristian Pache from Atlanta + a pitching prospect our FO likes.

7 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Clev is our trading blue chip.

I think he is about to get expensive through arbitration and under control for only two years.

We will not keep him instead of a younger prospect who is less expensive and under control longer.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

Clev is our trading blue chip.

I think he is about to get expensive through arbitration and under control for only two years.

We will not keep him instead of a younger prospect who is less expensive and under control longer.

He’s not going to be expensive next year. So there’s no reason we can’t hold onto him through there deadline and into next year. 

Has to be the right offer and I highly doubt we end up moving him. Teams are probably pretty hesitant to give up big time prospects right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I don’t think this would happen, but I’d love to get Cristian Pache from Atlanta + a pitching prospect our FO likes.

I think, unless you are getting an offer like this, there is absolutely no reason to move him. Clevinger is one of the elite starting pitchers in baseball with affordable control  

Clevinger is worth a haul, so unless that comes, hold on to him and revisit next year. 

7 minutes ago, FEARtheELF said:

He’s not going to be expensive next year.

He is moving toward it. What should we do, wait until he is expensive and dump him at a bargain basement price?

4 minutes ago, FEARtheELF said:

Clevinger is worth a haul, so unless that comes, hold on to him and revisit next year. 

At a much lesser haul.

smh

12 hours ago, bruceb said:

He is moving toward it. What should we do, wait until he is expensive and dump him at a bargain basement price?

At a much lesser haul.

smh

Should we trade Bieber, Jose, Civale, Plesac, and Karinchak now too because their value will never be higher?

We are still trying to win baseball games....

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

When your pitchers are as good as ours, a deep postseason run is a distinct possibility.

Don't mess with that pitching staff unless you get some REALLY good value.

I mean.... yes, you’re right.... but when your bats are as bad as ours you might as well not even get your hopes up.

• Like 1