Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

41 minutes ago, bruceb said:

So we are in a continual rebuild mode?

basically...

They rather retool on the fly than go into a full tank mode like DET and Chi have done. Dolans know if they do that, they will completely lose the fan base. So they have to retool as they go.

Of course we won't know for a couple/several years but on balance I like this trade.

Naylor looks like he will be serviceable.

Cal Quantrill, the same, providing some immediate bullpen help.

Gabriel Arias (20 YOA) looks like he could be the real deal at SS.

Joey Cantillo (19 YOA) doesn't exactly look like a slouch

Owen Miller (22 YOA) has put up some pretty decent minor league numbers.

Austin Hedges feeds their fetish for catchers who cannot hit.

I thought I was done talking about this. The only team I've ever seen in 1st place and be sellers... like quit giving this trade benefits. It was a bad trade. Maybe and that's a big maybe, the prospects develop into something useful in a few years. But based on where we are at you trade an Ace for TOP prospects and immediate outfield help. If any other organization got that offer the Padres gave us. 29 teams laugh and hang up the phone. 

Edited by TypicalBrowns10

1 hour ago, TypicalBrowns10 said:

I thought I was done talking about this. The only team I've ever seen in 1st place and be sellers... like quit giving this trade benefits. It was a bad trade. Maybe and that's a big maybe, the prospects develop into something useful in a few years. But based on where we are at you trade an Ace for TOP prospects and immediate outfield help. If any other organization got that offer the Padres gave us. 29 teams laugh and hang up the phone. 

How many of those teams can develop pitchers like Cleveland can?

1 hour ago, TypicalBrowns10 said:

One of the main reasons this trade was made was because they don’t want to pay Cleveninger next year. Not gonna trade for a well established outfield bat cause it means Dolan will have to pay him next season. 

the trade wasn’t a bad trade. Got a good haul of prospects. A haul a lot of teams would like. The crappy part was not getting a legit bat but the Dolans don’t want to pay for that 

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

People bashed the Corey Kluber trade. Looking at it now, that was a smart move. Purely because it let us bring up our younger guys and Klubot looks done.

I think kluber will have a few more good years. Let’s see what the guy we got for him who got suspended ends up doing. 

9 hours ago, FGK said:

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I don't like dealing Clevinger for mainly pieces that won't help us for 2-3 years, but I do trust our talent acquisition in trades. So I'll wait and see but my initial response is disappointment that we didn't get a major piece to help THIS year.

I like Quantrill as a potential #4/5 starter next year.

Josh Naylor has really good numbers for his age at every level so far, probably an average major league batter going forward. Problem is he's probably a pure 1B/DH and we already have Santana and Franmil.

Austin Hedges is a way above average defensive catcher but is a downright BAD offensive catcher.

The prospects are all very interesting, but also all far from sure things. It kinda seems like we went with quantity over quality. We'll see how that turns out.

I think Hand's traded in the off-season and Quantrill stays in the pen. The 1-2-3 of Karinchak, Clase, and Quantrill will be the heart of our bullpen for the next 4-5 years. And that's with high upside relievers like Sandlin, Kyle Nelson, and Hentges in the pipeline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Quantrill replaces Brad Hand next year.

Franmil fills in for Santanas spot.

Naylor fills in for Franmil at DH.

I think Naylor goes to 1B, that is his natural position and Franmil never played there. But Santana being gone, yes.

my thought is 2021, is shaping up to look like we will start with

C - Perez, 1B - Naylor, 2B - Jose, SS - Freeman, 3B - Jones, LF - ?, CF - ?, RF - Naquin, DH - Reyes

Lindor and Hand will be traded in the off-season and hopefully help fill the LF and CF spots with some good bats. Could see Lindor play here some of the season until the deadline if they feel Freeman isn't quite ready, but I picture them trying to maximize value