BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

13 hours ago, MD4L said:

I’m not worried about bc I have no outstanding decision to make until ERFA.

Looking at your roster, it doesn't look like you make many outstanding decisions usually anyhow 

Boom! 

Edited by bcb1213
  • Like 1

I'll start in 2013 when I got to draft for the first time. I'll highlight the best and worst picks.

Best picks:

Le'Veon Bell in the 7th- Bell was a good college RB, but he looked overweight and while he had good feet he didn't look to have the speed or ability to be an impact player. Boy was everyone wrong. Another RB slam dunk by SirA.

Darius Slay in the 4th- Everyone knew Miss St's other CB Jon Banks, but Ted was smart enough to select Slay after bums like DJ Hayden, Will Davis, Jamar Taylor and Banks himself had been taken. 

Worst picks:

Dion Jordan 1st overall: What an absolute trash heap this dude was, and the pick was traded up for to boot. 

Jon Cooper 9th overall: Guards generally shouldn't go this high IRL, let alone in BDL. Another absolute bum who is still somehow bouncing around the league.

Shout out to whoever took David Bahktiari in the 4th round of what was the PFA scramble at that time.

Edited by Jlash
  • Like 1

Cuba draft class recap

1.9: Derwin James: As advertised. We loved his projection as a single high FS, but rarely asked due to LaMarcus Joyner. He did everything a safety can do and at high levels so it’s been a thrill utilizing his skill set. We traded our 19 1st for him so the expectations were high. Even so, he’s exceeded that.

2.8: Isaiah Oliver: He was a moderate risk high reward player and fit the man coverage schemes we wish to use in the future. Came on with his first INT against Taylor Hincke. Playing time has been hard to come by even in an injury ravaged Falcons defense. Hoping for a sizable leap in playing time and production next year.

2.13: DJ Chark: He played on a run first team with a diverse group of average and above average talents. It was always going to be a challenge getting playing time but by mid season he earned a starting spot. Didn’t do much with it as Bortles was benched shortly after. Got injured in early December and it’s not what you take people in the top 32 for. Nonetheless he seems to have the ability if he can find a QB capable of vertically challenging defenses. 

3.1: Ronnie Harrison: He was behind Barry Church but as early as week 2 earned reps. He had a minor issue pushing for the starting job so playing time was sporadic. When he finally earned the job he was injured and placed on IR. What Jacksonville does at SS will have an effect on our future standing with Harrison.

4.10: Malik Jefferson: He was a special teams ace. He finished with about a drive of snaps on defense so he’s an unknown in that area. Many questions remain about his ability to challenge for a starting job as Cincinnati dealt with injuries at that spot while Jessie Bates immediately catapulted into a starting job.

6.9: Jaylen Samuels: We were high on Sony Michel and didn’t draft him but a goal was adding playmaking ability. Samuels is a hit in that regard and credit to Pittsburgh for giving him one position at RB. Even if Connor is their guy for the foreseeable future Samuels can play in different positions and can handle 3rd down reps. The odd thing is how good he is straight up running ball when at NC State his touches were best in the form of checkdowns. I really liked him even if my position label on him is different. Lets continue seeing what he can do.

7.5: Dorance Armstrong: He has flashed occasionally and did get some reps in the middle of the year. We were at high levels of depth at pass rush and couldn’t get decent guys enough playing time. We had zero expectations for him as he would’ve needed to be really good. Still he’s been decent and the future looks bright if Dallas wants to continue giving his development time. 

7.6: Ian Thomas: Another sort of hit. Unlike Samuels he does play TE. Was a hit in OTAs and training camps, but started slow. Greg Olsen came back and got his starting job until his injury. Since then, Thomas has produced with some sensational lines. If Olsen plays in 2019, this will likely be a timeshare. If he doesn’t, Thomas has a chance to elevate into a quality starter early in his career.

7.8: Derrick Nnadi: Again our DL was stock piled so even respectable production isn’t enough to get into the lineup. Nnadi has started since week one. There are ups and downs but his role is solidified playing next to many high level pass rushers. He has the makings of a starting 2019 NT. 

7.9: Brandon Parker: He got in quickly. The thought behind him was he could be a worthwhile development. We got substantial film that can be improved but he’s everything a starting tackle looks like in the NFL. 

7.13: Matthew Thomas: He was a HWS player to the fullest extent. He did beat expectations and earned a roster spot for the Steelers. Played some special teams and served as a backup despite going undrafted. Signed with Baltimore to a futures deal.

7.14: John Kelly: It was a decent experience with him. Snaps were always going to be hard pressed when backing up Todd Gurley. He had a small role toward the end of the year behind CJ Anderson. 

Alright....after going back and forth on whether this workbook for the rosters would work or not.  After hours of working on this, trying to get spotrac linked and automated for something this size just isn't feasible.  All day and yesterday I've been running into issues where the workbook is freezing up or takes several minutes upwards of 10.  I'm also having issues with matching names because of duplicates, which I thought I had figured out by including the position, but several players are showing inactive, because of a position change.

Simply too many formulas and cell use to get this to work and trust it to work all the time without running into issues that would require me jumping in to make corrections.  You guys wanted something that would be easy to manage and I believe that even with some automation it's too much.

Happy to design something else but it wouldn't be automated, basically just be a cleaner look, with some additional features.  If you'd like something like this let me know asap, otherwise continue with what you've got.  

@Ragnarok

@Jlash

@MD4L

@pheltzbahr

@Hockey5djh

@RuskieTitan

@Counselor

@WFLukic

@Whicker

@SwoleXmad

@bcb1213

@TedLavie

@SirA1

@DingoLadd

@PR

Edited by ny92mike
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Alright....after going back and forth on whether this workbook for the rosters would work or not.  After hours of working on this, trying to get spotrac linked and automated for something this size just isn't feasible.  All day and yesterday I've been running into issues where the workbook is freezing up or takes several minutes upwards of 10.  I'm also having issues with matching names because of duplicates, which I thought I had figured out by including the position, but several players are showing inactive, because of a position change.

Simply too many formulas and cell use to get this to work and trust it to work all the time without running into issues that would require me jumping in to make corrections.  You guys wanted something that would be easy to manage and I believe that even with some automation it's too much.

Happy to design something else but it wouldn't be automated, basically just be a cleaner look, with some additional features.  If you'd like something like this let me know asap, otherwise continue with what you've got.  

@Ragnarok

@Jlash

@MD4L

@pheltzbahr

@Hockey5djh

@RuskieTitan

@Counselor

@WFLukic

@Whicker

@SwoleXmad

@bcb1213

@TedLavie

@SirA1

@DingoLadd

@PR

A cleaner look sounds great. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

@Ragnarok

@Jlash

@MD4L

@pheltzbahr

@Hockey5djh

@RuskieTitan

@Counselor

@WFLukic

@Whicker

@SwoleXmad

@bcb1213

@TedLavie

@SirA1

@DingoLadd

@PR

Is it just linking players to spotrac holding you up? If it's an issue, as cool as it would be, I don't think it's necessary. The sheets you make are already pretty cool, without links I think it's still great.

Just now, Jlash said:

Is it just linking players to spotrac holding you up? If it's an issue, as cool as it would be, I don't think it's necessary. The sheets you make are already pretty cool, without links I think it's still great.

Yeah...The main thing that SirA1, BCB and Rags was looking for was a way to simplify their work, by automating the process of it pairing the player with the irl team and status.  It does that for the most part.  Links thousands of players but players that change positions from guard to center or de to olb.  For example O. Vernon for the Giants.  It shows those guys are inactive, probably about a hundred of those situations.  So having to sift through those names imo would be a bigger challenge.

Sucks because I thought I had it nailed down last night.

The other issue is if I pull names from spotrac (active contracts) it skips a lot of names, fa/ inactive / ps / ir and if I pull the cumulative listing it pulls in duplicates because of position changes, but that list is like over 4000+ and is what is crashing and freezing up the workbook from it being effective enough to use.

If we were using excel, the formula amount wouldn't be an issue but google docs isn't equipped to handle that many calculations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Yeah...The main thing that SirA1, BCB and Rags was looking for was a way to simplify their work, by automating the process of it pairing the player with the irl team and status.  It does that for the most part.  Links thousands of players but players that change positions from guard to center or de to olb.  For example O. Vernon for the Giants.  It shows those guys are inactive, probably about a hundred of those situations.  So having to sift through those names imo would be a bigger challenge.

The other issue is if I pull names from spotrac (active contracts) it skips a lot of names, fa/ inactive / ps / ir and if I pull the cumulative listing it pulls in duplicates because of position changes, but that list is like over 4000+ and is what is crashing and freezing up the workbook from it being effective enough to use.

If we were using excel, the formula amount wouldn't be an issue but google docs isn't equipped to handle that many calculations.

Like whicker said just a cleaner look alone is great.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

So how do you guys determine which players to add to the player database?

I've got a list of at least 3000 names, when the current bdl list is about 2000.

Understanding how you guys operate would help me out.

Typically

1. Draft Picks

2. Previously signed by BDL team.

Alot of guys in that 1000 are udfas

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ny92mike said:

I'm fine with just a cleaner look. I don't mind updating statuses of player. The IRL team thing was something that PSU added this year so not something that important either IMO. You should know who your players play for.

The Links weren't that big a deal for me either. I can look up a player if I need to,

Thanks for all the help Mike. We are going to be fine with just a cleaner look going forward.