Vikings Quarterback Situation

Uncle Buck

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, Heinz D. said:

I think he's simply saying he doesn't think there's a chance any of the other top-flight prospects falls that far in the draft. 

that's right, so why even go that route?  Turning this team over to a rookie is foolish in itself, even if you were to land a top prospect.  The team is ready to win now, not wait for a rookie to develop, especially not a project type prospect like Jackson.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:49 PM, Heimdallr said:

I don't care what else happens if Lamar Jackson is on the team. I'd trade the whole draft to move up for him. 

that's fantastic.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, N4L said:

I still think the Vikings are Kirk's most likely landing spot, despite the Jets and Denver narrative that is being pushed by the media. 

If I am the Vikings, no way would I sign Keenum. The guy is fools gold. The way he played in the NFCCG was abysmal. He is absolutely terrible when pressured. His mechanics break down. There is too much air under his passes as well. He had the absolute best year of his career, walk away now while it doesn't cost you too much, especially since it will be a new system anyways.

Then I would sign Bridgewater to a prove it deal. I would also look at Gabbert and some other vets out there who wont be too expensive.

LOL at anyone who signs Bradford for anything more than the vet min. The guy has always been soft.  

So let me get this straight...

Keenum is 'fools gold' despite playing at a top 10-12 level all season, save for the one dud game against the eventual Super Bowl Champs, where he had d-linemen in his face, literally all day.    Keenum had the best season of his career, and helped turn Thielen and Diggs into superstars, and actually gave Minnesota an aerial game, which they've lacked for years.  None of that matters....A contract for Keenum is totally out of the question.

But Bridgewater, who has never been good, coming off a major knee injury, and hasn't played meaningful snaps in nearly 2 years should be the guy to get the contract, and get this, with Blaine Gabbert as the insurance policy..?.  good. gosh.

you then scoff at the notion that anyone would sign Bradford, due to his supposed softness, without taking into account that Bridgewater broke his leg in a non-contact drill during practice...  Bradford may have had his share of injuries, but they occur while he's actually playing...

Hold out for Cousins at market rate. Sure it's a risk you get none of Cousins, Case, Bradford, Teddy (if they all walk) ... But if those 4 QBs take $15-$30M starting QB contracts each on teams ... It means there is likely less teams looking for QB rookies (after the top 3 QB in the draft) ... so it will open the 4th or 5th rookie quarterback to be drafted by Vikings (who you hope turn into better then Case, Teddy, Bradford).

8 hours ago, frenchie said:

So let me get this straight...

Keenum is 'fools gold' despite playing at a top 10-12 level all season, save for the one dud game against the eventual Super Bowl Champs, where he had d-linemen in his face, literally all day.    Keenum had the best season of his career, and helped turn Thielen and Diggs into superstars, and actually gave Minnesota an aerial game, which they've lacked for years.  None of that matters....A contract for Keenum is totally out of the question.

But Bridgewater, who has never been good, coming off a major knee injury, and hasn't played meaningful snaps in nearly 2 years should be the guy to get the contract, and get this, with Blaine Gabbert as the insurance policy..?.  good. gosh.

you then scoff at the notion that anyone would sign Bradford, due to his supposed softness, without taking into account that Bridgewater broke his leg in a non-contact drill during practice...  Bradford may have had his share of injuries, but they occur while he's actually playing...

Yes, Keenum had the best season of his career and played like a top '10-12' last season, but he is unlikely to ever replicate it.  My point is that paying him like he is going to sustain the success (or even build on it) would be a huge mistake by the Vikings. He simply isn't worth 15-18+ million dollars a year. 

The Vikings are in a rare position. They went to the NFCCG (in a year with no Aaron Rodgers mind you) on the backs of a strong defense and an overall deep roster. Their OC left and they don't have a QB on the roster next year. What they DO have is an incredible TE, two extremely talented WRs, and a very versatile young running back. They should feel really really good about the idea of getting similar production out of another QB, should they need to. "helped turn Thielen and Diggs into stars" more like the other way around! 

Keenum played incredible last season, no one is disputing that, but will he ever play that well again? That is the real question that the Vikings need to ask themselves. 

It's a completely new system. They have a chance for a fresh start. I say, walk away from keenum while you can. Zimmer didn't seem keen on keeping keenum as his starter last season, as there were rumblings about teddy that Zimmer didn't squash. He always gave very coachspeak answers and never proclaimed him as the outright starter. That speaks volumes. 

Teddy on the other hand, I suggested bringing back on a 1-2 year, incentive laden 'prove it' deal because he would be cheap and has some upside. It's not that I think he's better than keenum, it's that he would be infinitely cheaper and therefore carry 'less risk' so to speak. I'm talking 2 years 4-6 million with incentives that could pay up to 10 million a year for games started or yards or whatever. Basically I'm talking about bringing him into camp and letting him compete. 

Gabbertcould be a solid game manager for a team like the Vikings. He isn't exactly a name that would inspire confidence from the fan base, but he does have some experience and I think he could essentially become an Alex Smith type QB in Alex's first year in KC or with SF in 2011 on a team like Minnesota. Teddy, gabbert and a rookie for a year wouldn't be the worst thing with the roster Minnesota has, but signing case keenum to a LTD could potentially be detrimental to their future.

I don't expect you to see it my way, I'm just telling you how it is. 

This is highly dependent on information that no one has but the Vikings staff. It's really just a matter of how Teddy looks coming back on that knee. I still truly believe that Teddy is Zimmer's guy, and he will take priority as long as he is healthy. All the reports we hear are that Teddy has looked amazing in practice, but, who knows but Spielman and Zimmer...

4 hours ago, N4L said:

Yes, Keenum had the best season of his career and played like a top '10-12' last season, but he is unlikely to ever replicate it.  My point is that paying him like he is going to sustain the success (or even build on it) would be a huge mistake by the Vikings. He simply isn't worth 15-18+ million dollars a year. 

I think NFL exec’s have proven to think otherwise. Garoppolo, a younger player with more ability/upside but even less of a resume, signed a mega deal. Bortles, with two years of competent QB play, signed an extension worth $54M. Glennon, a guy with a smaller resume than Keenum’s, was signed at $14M. Osweiler, a guy with a smaller resume than Keenum’s, was signed at $18M. 

I’m not sure Keenum re-runs his 2017 performance, but he’ll be paid right in that range, if not more. 

4 hours ago, N4L said:

Teddy on the other hand, I suggested bringing back on a 1-2 year, incentive laden 'prove it' deal because he would be cheap and has some upside. It's not that I think he's better than keenum, it's that he would be infinitely cheaper and therefore carry 'less risk' so to speak. I'm talking 2 years 4-6 million with incentives that could pay up to 10 million a year for games started or yards or whatever. 

Maybe Bridgewater loves Minnesota so much for embracing him throughout his injury that he gives them a huge discount - but if he cares at all for money, then he wouldn’t sign a deal like that. He can make more if he wants it. Nick Foles makes more than that as a backup.

3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I think NFL exec’s have proven to think otherwise. Garoppolo, a younger player with more ability/upside but even less of a resume, signed a mega deal. Bortles, with two years of competent QB play, signed an extension worth $54M. Glennon, a guy with a smaller resume than Keenum’s, was signed at $14M. Osweiler, a guy with a smaller resume than Keenum’s, was signed at $18M. 

I’m not sure Keenum re-runs his 2017 performance, but he’ll be paid right in that range, if not more. 

Which is exactly why I think the Vikings should move on if they can. The main point I'm making is that their roster is loaded with enough talent to get similar production from a cheaper player. 

Seems like they are content with letting keenum test the market. 

9 minutes ago, N4L said:

Which is exactly why I think the Vikings should move on if they can. The main point I'm making is that their roster is loaded with enough talent to get similar production from a cheaper player. 

Per OTC, there are two main strategies to build a Champion in today's NFL - one with a Top QB and one without. The vikes chose the plan without a Top QB and have gone about building a top defense and running game to be supported by an inexpensive QB. Teddy was that cheap QB. IF they now opt to go after Cousins, they'll be switching team-building strategies mid-stream. And all of the resources they put into building that defense will be diminished by the cash they pay Cousins. They won't be able to keep all of the defensive pieces. The NFL is a tough business

We saw this happen in Seattle where they built a top defense and went to 2 SBs with cheap-Wilson and a defensive-minded HC. Once Wilson got paid, the Seahawks didn't have the cap or the draft resources to replenish their defense and it is in decline due to age, injury and FA defections. That will likely be the vikes fate too IF they choose to pay a Top QB big money at this juncture.

They probably need to keep going with the cheap QB strategy and keep pouring resources into the defense and running game. Truly between a rock and a hard place because they know their defense isn't yet good enough to win in January - they gave up 55 points in 6 quarters of playoff foootball. What will they do ? Continue to bolster the defense or pay handsomely to bolster the QB position ? Tough decisions ahead.

On 2/23/2018 at 3:18 PM, TENINCH said:

Queens?

Let em have it. All the packers have is Aaron Rodgers and mindless jokes anymore. 

As far as veterans go, its:

Kirk Cousins

Teddy Bridgewater

Case Keenum

AJ McCarron

Sam Bradford

For the draft, hope one of Rosen, Jackson or Darnold fall.

Archived