Limiting Pass Interference Penalties To A Max Of 15 Yards

gopherwrestler

13 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

What’s your thoughts on this? Not a huge fan. Really would make sense to just tackle the receiver if you are completely burned in a late game, last drive type of situation.

I mean if you are completely burned then you won't be in a position to tackle the WR period.

I'm a fan personally. I hate when a QB just chucks one up (that's usually underthrown), only to get bailed out by a DPI flag that puts the ball deep in enemy territory.

It's hard enough already for defenders. Let them have one rule change that benefits(to a degree) them.

21 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

I've beaten this horse to death but I know a lot of posters here would agree.

The spot foul DPI is a bad rule. Making it a maximum 15-yard penalty makes a bad rule worse.

I really like this. I'm gonna use it

I don't see what's so egregious about DPI that it is the only penalty where you can garner more than 15 yards. The only time I have an issue with this rule change is when the WR has a clear advantage over a WR to the point where the DB would have to dive in order to trip him up by his legs to interfere. The NFL could adopt something like the NBA has for clear path to the basket fouls. As a DB if you dive to interfere with a WR, it's a spot foul, any other instance of DPI is a spot foul to a max of 15 yards.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't see what's so egregious about DPI that it is the only penalty where you can garner more than 15 yards. The only time I have an issue with this rule change is when the WR has a clear advantage over a WR to the point where the DB would have to dive in order to trip him up by his legs to interfere. The NFL could adopt something like the NBA has for clear path to the basket fouls. As a DB if you dive to interfere with a WR, it's a spot foul, any other instance of DPI is a spot foul to a max of 15 yards.

Adding more subjectivity leads to more controversial calls. 

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Well I can see why packers fans don’t want it changed. Would basically have to change half their offensive scheme with Rodgers tbh...

It’s 15 yards in college and this corners tackling WRs thing everyone is so scared of doesn’t happen. And you barely ever see WRs in the NFL getting the kind of separation downfield they do consistently in college 

And honestly I don’t care. If there’s an OPI(which barely ever gets called) 30 yards down the field it’s not a 30 yard penalty. Completely BS one sided rule

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

I've beaten this horse to death but I know a lot of posters here would agree.

The spot foul DPI is a bad rule. Making it a maximum 15-yard penalty makes a bad rule worse.

The only problem with this statement is that there's actually no support that it's worse until we have tried it. It's just an assumption on how the game would play out, what the secondary can and would do, etc. You don't see receivers getting tackled and mugged in college. It's worth the shot. 

33 minutes ago, Forge said:

The only problem with this statement is that there's actually no support that it's worse until we have tried it. It's just an assumption on how the game would play out, what the secondary can and would do, etc. You don't see receivers getting tackled and mugged in college. It's worth the shot. 

College DBs also don’t have the knowledge or experience of most NFL DBs. 

I don’t think the needle gets moved much here. Plenty of people hate that a ticky tack bump 45 yards down the field will result in a spot foul. Others will lament when a JAG is about to get roasted for a deep TD and latches onto the WR instead. The only way to avoid those things? The refs would need the power to look at things case by case and determine egregiousness - but nobody wants to add more subjectivity to calls (myself indlucded).

Archived