Damarious Randall traded to the Browns for DeShone Kizer

marky mark

After absorbing and reflecting on the trade today my feelings are that the Packers made the right move here. My initial reaction was "A starting corner for a backup QB"...Yuck.

The matter of fact is (other than King) our corners suck and will continue to suck, basically we had more or less the same group of players for the last two years without any sign of improvement. Having Randall on our team did not make our defence better. Its clear that Randall wore out his welcome here. Trading him wasn't going to weaken us any futher on the field. Depth-wise sure but at the end of the day we're still not a better team with him on it. We might as well wipe the slate clean and rebuild our corner group under Pettine. Addition by subtraction.

It would've been nice to trade for Ogbah but it probably wasn't going to happen. Kiser was the player that ultimately came up in the negotiations and with our backup QB issues to worry about it was probably worth the plunge.

We get a new backup QB for coaches to develop, we remove a locker room cancer, we gain some draft flexibility with higher picks, we gain some salary cap space...more if we cut/trade Hundley, finally we also get to avoid using a draft pick on a QB. That is what we got out of the trade. Roster Flexibility.

There was no way we could've gotten better draft picks when you consider how little All-Pro Marcus Peters was traded for. He had locker room issues too.

From Cleveland's perspective they get a talented yet wildly inconsistent player for one year. Various things could happen:

1. Randall flames out there too by continuing to be a locker room cancer. Browns being the Browns this is the likeliest scenario.
  2. Low risk. He does well enough to rehab his value and if he hits FA the Browns could get a good compensatory pick. Basically a 1 year rental. OR he could get traded again for a higher draft pick.
  3. He becomes an All-Pro like Hayward and Hyde before him, shining a light on Capers and the Front Office incompetence.

The worse case scenario could happen if it turns out we've been playing Randall out of position all that time, just like we did with Hayward and Hyde. I believe with his speed and superb ball skills that his best position might be as a free safety. If the Browns converts Randall back there and he gets his act together then I believe scenario 3 could happen.

It's a shame that Randall wore out his welcome before we had the chance to try him out at free safety.

The best case scenario for Kizer is for him to show competence as a backup QB and we can trade him for a higher draft pick. I don't believe he will be Rodger's future replacement.

If the best case scenario happens for both teams then the Browns will have gotten the most out of the trade however if we draft wisely by taking advantage of that newfound flexibility of those higher draft picks we could come away winners out of that trade. I guess we will find out in three years.

It was a trade that suited all parties. There's no right or wrong here.

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Listen - I've nothing against DR. I just dont see him as being "all that" - which in a way I put on TT.

We went into that draft needing top CB talent. We sat at the back of the draft rotation - all fat and happy to let the draft drop to the bottom of the sea and learn what was left - and pick a semi-recent convert from basketball to ASU (?) Safety position. Why? Apparently (as best I could tell......) because of his ball hawking skills.

Which he had and evidenced. It really was the only part of his game that was positive IMO. BUT - I contend we needed to bypass the "lets convert this guy into a CB" angle and go after and draft a pure, accomplished CB. A bird in hand type guy.

We're a team thats played in a whole bunch of NFCCG's. We're always there - on the cusp - so we dont need to be (or shouldnt IMO) dicking around with "converts" or "projects". We should be acquiring proven talent - playmakers - coaching them up (as necessary) and getting them on the field.

Maybe CLE intends to move him to Safety - thats a possibility - and from our experience would make sense. His coverage skills - and ATTITUDE - from the outside arent that great. Maybe they intend to use as a roaming Free Safety. Let him use his ballhawking skills to the greatest effect. Could be. Dont know. 

You are a terrible poster. You post so much factually incorrect nonsense it's unreal. 

Damarious Randall and Quinten Rollins are two different people. You understand that right?

Randall was a an all american CB at Mesa Community College, he transfered to ASU where he was playing their star safety spot, the spot that requires the most coverage ability in their defense. He never played basketball.

Rollins was the guy that played basketball.

I don't know how anybody is supposed to take you seriously if you don't even know the players on the team.

Who are the pure, accomplished CBs "Bird in hand" guys you're referencing? Trae Waynes is replacement level, Kevin Johnson has been horrendous, Marcus Peters just got traded because the Chiefs couldn't stand him, Byron Jones is playing safety, Jalen Collins got cut and is out of the league, Eric Rowe is terrible, Ronald Darby is a good player but got traded and is being thrown into trade discussions again this offseason. Senquez Golson is out of the league, Quinten Rollins was also lousy, and his career is probably over with an achiles injury. 

Those are the CBs taken in the first two rounds of 2015. Look at that list. The only two good players on that list Darby and Peters have both been traded around. This 2015 draft class was brutal. 

I read the first 10 pages... wow he have a bunch of posters that are bigger headcases than Randall!!!

i side with the more calm rational posters. Randall would of been a problem in the locker room this year and not needed on a unit that needs leadership off the field.

Kizer hopefully won’t ever have to contribute much, I question if he has the head for the game  but he is definitely a physically rare athlete that will at the very least give the scout offense a dynamic that will expose the defense to a dynamic they seemingly have forever struggled to stop with a mobile QB. 

I was done with Hundley after this season and was strongly behind the belief we needed a new backup behind Rodgers.

Team needs a large infusion of talent right now, every position seems thin behind the starters. I don’t think we’ll be fixed this year but here’s to hoping that in 2-3 years we’ll be back as a super bowl favorite

After sitting back and thinking about how many times I cussed Randall out on the TV for getting his *** handed to him, beat across his face, beat deep, stiff armed to the ground, whiffing on tackles... I feel so much better about this trade. We aquired a very talented QB who was thrown in not just fire, but LAVA. He gets to sit behind the GOAT. He has franchise QB potential. This is a guy who should've stayed another year in COLLEGE. Then he gets drafted by ultimately a 0-16 crap team. 

I'm okay with this. Gute, give us some more ammo at CB. In both FA and the draft. 

In Gute we trust. 

15 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

WOW.  60 pages of hissy fit, knee jerk reaction.  Well done!  Thought I was on another teams web page for a while.

WOW.  An entire post belittling people upset about the trade when those people just contributed 70 pages worth of actual discussion about football instead of complaints about others.  Well done!

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

WOW.  An entire post belittling people upset about the trade when those people just contributed 70 pages worth of actual discussion about football instead of complaints about others.  Well done!

Not entirely true. I mean it was 70 pages worth of complaints about Gute / Kizer. I mean no one really will know how good of a trade this could end up being for another 2-3 years but we all want to pretend we know any and everything that goes on with in the NFL and people are ready to grab the pitchforks and sit outside Green Bay chanting "Fire Gute" all over trading a CB that has done nothing more then show mere flashes and coincidentally made you want to throw your head into a brick wall. To each their own though.

47 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

I read the first 10 pages... wow he have a bunch of posters that are bigger headcases than Randall!!!

i side with the more calm rational posters. Randall would of been a problem in the locker room this year and not needed on a unit that needs leadership off the field.

Kizer hopefully won’t ever have to contribute much, I question if he has the head for the game  but he is definitely a physically rare athlete that will at the very least give the scout offense a dynamic that will expose the defense to a dynamic they seemingly have forever struggled to stop with a mobile QB. 

I was done with Hundley after this season and was strongly behind the belief we needed a new backup behind Rodgers.

Team needs a large infusion of talent right now, every position seems thin behind the starters. I don’t think we’ll be fixed this year but here’s to hoping that in 2-3 years we’ll be back as a super bowl favorite

Wanting Randall off the team is the only reason this makes sense.

My main concern is we have enough holes already without making new ones. You probably need to sign a free agent to replace Randall using cap space we don't have. Which means cutting someone else - maybe a receiver. Which now makes receiver absolute priority 1 in the draft (along with the other absolute number 1 priorities). Everything just got harder.

Kizer isn't going to help us win the super-bowl. If Rodgers go down then he may give us a better chance of getting to 8-8 than if we stick with Hundley but really he doesn't make the overall strength of the team higher. Randall was probably our best defensive back last season so losing him weakens the team.

If he is upsetting the team harmony and Gute wants him off the team then fair enough. Ditto if he doesn't fit into the new defense. Ultimately though this makes the team weaker and makes everything a lot more difficult. 

Archived