The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

I think next year if the Browns don't get a Thanksgiving game (they haven't since 1989), the OSU-UM game should be moved to Thanksgiving night on Fox, which would be the network's second football game they telecast from metro Detroit that year (as part of the rotation, they get the Lions game in 2021). That way, Clevelanders can watch one of their teams on Thanksgiving day, even if it's not the Browns.

I was hoping you would for once agree with me. Never getting my hopes up for that again.

Clevelanders deserve to watch a football team they care about on Thanksgiving Day. Having them play on the overall weekend is no longer enough. Quite frankly, it hasn't been enough for a long time.

From now on, malibuspeedrace, if you don't like one of my ideas, do NOT comment. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything AT ALL.

This goes for all of you.

Edited by pf9

11 minutes ago, pf9 said:

I was hoping you would for once agree with me. Never getting my hopes up for that again.

Clevelanders deserve to watch a football team they care about on Thanksgiving Day. Having them play on the overall weekend is no longer enough. Quite frankly, it hasn't been enough for a long time.

From now on, malibuspeedrace, if you don't like one of my ideas, do NOT comment. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything AT ALL.

Stop posting.

Not all my posts on this forum are criticized or mocked.

I also exist on other public forums, but usually with not as many problems as here.

I said what I said about moving the OSU-UM game to Thanksgiving night because the Browns have not appeared on the holiday itself since the year before I was born. In 2018, the NFL removed the conference restrictions for the Detroit and Dallas games, which means theoretically, they could have a fair rotation for the other 30 teams on Thanksgiving, by making Detroit and Dallas' home opponents for those games the teams on their respective home schedules with the longest Thanksgiving droughts. The night game would involve the team not playing Detroit or Dallas with the longest Thanksgiving drought, and they would play the team on their schedule with the longest Thanksgiving drought.

This year, given the popularity of Baker Mayfield, and the fact that they had gone longer than any other team going to Dallas this year without playing on Thanksgiving, it appeared that the Browns would be a shoo-in to play the Cowboys on Thanksgiving. But alas it was not to be.

The NFL hasn't instituted a fair rotation because of money and ratings. But those things will only get you so far, and as a matter of fact, money causes more problems than it solves.

Dude 6/30 teams play on Thanksgiving. That’s 20%. I couldn’t care less about the Browns playing that day. I’m glad they don’t actually. I get to eat and hang with family distraction-free that day. Traditionally, I’d be pissed every Thanksgiving if the Browns played. Instead of good food and family time, things would be overshadowed by a blowout loss. 

Instead of getting mad people disagree with your opinions, maybe hear an opposing viewpoint. If disagreement yields being offended in life, then I’d have to agree, the premise behind a football forum may not be a good fit for you.

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

Dude 6/30 teams play on Thanksgiving. That’s 20%. I couldn’t care less about the Browns playing that day. I’m glad they don’t actually. I get to eat and hang with family distraction-free that day. Traditionally, I’d be pissed every Thanksgiving if the Browns played. Instead of good food and family time, things would be overshadowed by a blowout loss. 

Instead of getting mad people disagree with your opinions, maybe hear an opposing viewpoint. If disagreement yields being offended in life, then I’d have to agree, the premise behind a football forum may not be a good fit for you.

Honestly, I kinda agree. However, I wouldn’t mind if it happened every once in awhile. We cycle with either Detroit or Dallas every 4 years.

It all comes down to how good Cleveland is. If they’re a good team, you’d probably love it.

17 hours ago, NateDawg said:

16 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Honestly, I kinda agree. However, I wouldn’t mind if it happened every once in awhile. We cycle with either Detroit or Dallas every 4 years.

It all comes down to how good Cleveland is. If they’re a good team, you’d probably love it.

It's worth not having an argument with your spouse to prioritize watching the Browns play on Thanksgiving. Once every 10-20 years, that I can rationalize, but regularly? Ehhh...that's a hard sell. Imagine setting that time aside barring a few outlier years since 1998.

On 10/6/2020 at 5:23 PM, pf9 said:

You're new here, aren't you? 

That is all

MC

So the other day, they announced UM-OSU would be at noon.

When are they going to realize it belongs in primetime?

I really think the NCAA should require every FBS conference to schedule at least one game a night every week to help out their TV partners. Like for instance, Fox aired a UM-OSU game that wound up eliminating UM from the playoff at noon two years ago, and had to air a game between two middling Big 12 teams at night, while ABC won the night airing Notre Dame-USC. Fox shouldn't have to wave the white flag like that in terms of the primetime ratings battles. They would sponsor such a rule so that UM-OSU can air in primetime.

For perspective, the MAC regularly airs night games well into November, even during the final week of the season - and they cover a similar territory to the Big Ten.

Plus, I want OSU to play a home game against Clemson the week before the UM game at some point, and play it at night, so that OSU has the advantage weather-wise.

So yeah, the Big Ten needs to permit night games every week. Or else their TV partners are going to bail on them come 2023.

And neither CBS nor NBC will commit to Big Ten games without the guarantee that there will be one night game every week throughout the season, including Thanksgiving weekend.

And if SpongeBob taught me anything, it's that many things are better at night, like UM-OSU.

Edited by pf9