The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

No,  just a brain fart by me, he'll be the backup LT unless NPF has put on about 20 lbs of muscle already.

Messing around with Mariotti, I wouldn't put it past him. I almost bet he sent him a workout/diet to get him right

Edited by MSURacerDT55

On 5/11/2018 at 3:21 PM, THE DUKE said:

With the transfer of Wayne Davis the Buckeyes are back down to 85 scholarship players.  Eleven Warriors has a breakdown by Class

2014: 7
2015: 14
2016: 18
2017: 20
2018: 26

Given all the players on the roster, and ignoring the walk ons, here is my best guess on the depth chart based on everything I've heard:

QB: Dwayne Haskins Tate Martell Matthew Baldwin      
RB: JK Dobbins Mike Weber Master Teague Brian Snead    
HB: Parris Cambell Demario McCall Jaelen Gill      
WR: Austin Mack Bin Victor CJ Saunders Jaylin Harris Elijah Gardner Blue Smith
WR: KJ Hill Johnie Dixon Terry McLaurin Kamryn Babb Chris Olave Cameron Brown
TE: Luke Farrell Rashod Berry Jeremy Ruckert Jake Hausmann    
LT: Thayer Munford Josh Alabi Nicholas Petit-Frere      
LG: Michael Jordan Wyatt Davis Gavin Cupp      
C: Brady Taylor Josh Myers Matthew Jones      
RG: Branden Bowen Demetrius Knox        
RT: Isaiah Prince Malcolm Pridgeon Max Wray      

LDE: Nick Bosa Tyreke Smith Jashon Cornell Tyler Friday Alex Williams  
UDT: Dre'Mont Jones Haskill Garrett Taron Vincent Malik Barrow Jeron Cage  
NDT: Robert Landers Antwuan Jackson Tommy Togiai Davon Hamilton    
RDE: Chase Young Jonathan Cooper Javontae Jean-Baptiste      
WLB: Keandre Jones Dante Booker Dallas Gant      
MLB: Baron Browning Justin Hilliard Teradja Mitchell Tuf Boreland (inj)    
SLB: Malik Harrison Pete Werner K'Vaughn Pope      
LCB: Jeffrey Okudah Damon Arnette Marcus Williamson Marcus Hooker    
FS: Jordan Fuller Amir Riep Jahsen Wint      
SS: Isaiah Pryor Brendon White Josh Proctor      
RCB: Kendall Sheffield Shaun Wade Tyreke Johnson Sevyn Banks    

K: Sean Nuernberger Blake Haubeil        
P: Drue Chrisman          
LS: Liam McCullough          

Thoughts:

Given that it's an Achilles injury, i'll believe Borland is ready for the fall when I see it. 

I still think Josh Myers might beat out Brady Taylor, but he hasn't as of yet. 

Given Berry's role last year, I think we see a lot of 2 TE sets, and Ruckert is too talented a receiver to not see the field some. 

With all the transfers we're fairly thin on the oline, which in part explains how hard we're going after OL in the 2019 class. 

The talent stacked on the DLine is incredible. 

I actually feel pretty good about the secondary.  A lot of youth with something to prove still, but a whole lot of talent too. 

RB is stacked. 

QB situation is very good.  Only way Baldwin doesn't redshirt is if there is an injury.  Martell should see the field a decent bit in mop up and maybe some in sub packages running the zone read. 

A lot of proving to do at LB, that will be the crux of the season more than likely.  If 2 guys step up then the defense can be the best in the nation.

I really hope we see Demario McCall and Jaelen Gill as the return guys.  It makes too much sense to not happen.

Looking at who will be gone after 2018, who I think will leave early, and who we have already I think we add at least 3 more OL to this class.  1 QB (Gunnell please), an athlete for H in the McCall/Gill mold, a TE, 2 DE (Zach Harrison please, one year behind Chase Young, then 2 as the starter before the draft), at least 2 pure CB's, at least 1 more LB (I'm counting Chambers as a LB), and a long snapper.  That's 11 guys, which would put the class at 20, which leaves 3-5 spots to go BPA that we can get.

I like Ruckert but how many times have we seen a true Freshmen TE do anything in a big conference. TE is similar in the NFL, they have a transitional period. I believe Dobbins and Weber they will want there TEs to be better blockers for this season. To me Ferrell is a stud blocker and to me that’s the reason he has a foot up to be a starter. Also had the ability if you don’t pay attention to him in the passing game he will hurt you for it. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I rewatched the Iowa game. Holy hell that game was infuriating. Our linebackers looked completely lost all game. We would have been better off just playing 7 corner and 4 defensive linemen. 

I keep telling people the answer: Bill Davis

Go look at how we defended the RPO/PA in 2016 on back with Fickell and how we defended it in 2017 with Davis, look at the Oklahoma game 2016 and how our LBs played against pretty much the same offensive personnel, you couldn't run that against us because our LBs were extremely disciplined against it, Look at all of the big plays Baker had in the passing game in 16 as opposed to 17 how all of the sudden these same guys act like they have no idea what they are doing? its the coaching.

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

We made 2020 4* Justin Rogers top 13.  He's the top prospect in Michigan for 2020.  Michigan did not make his top 13.

giphy.gif

It's too bad that there is no audio for this.  For those old enough to remember Muttley's laugh, it's priceless and provides added amusement to the Rogers recruitment.

Peace!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

We made 2020 4* Justin Rogers top 13.  He's the top prospect in Michigan for 2020.  Michigan did not make his top 13.

giphy.gif

Word has it that hairball twisted his ankle and couldn’t climb the specified tree for Justin. Also required a hospital visit so he couldn’t do the sleepover :(

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Read that Doug Nester actually grew more over the last year and is now 6'6.5" and is now being projected more as a RT than an interior lineman.

Pretty ridiculous the way the OL recruiting is shaping up right now. If the QB play pans out going forward in the system, this offense should be incredible for the next several years.

On 6/29/2018 at 12:13 PM, NateDawg said:

Pretty ridiculous the way the OL recruiting is shaping up right now. If the QB play pans out going forward in the system, this offense should be incredible for the next several years.

One can hope. We'll need every advantage we can get to overcome Bama and Clem. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

1 hour ago, Mastercheddaar said:

One can hope. We'll need every advantage we can get to overcome Bama and Clem. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Your acting like they are better than tOSU in so many areas. It’s all about QB. Hopefully Haskin is legit