Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

6 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Our defensive DVOA got worse this week (from 23 to 25) after that performance against a top 10 DVOA offense. I just don't like that stat this year. Fails hard on the much hated eye test, usually it's right in line with what you see. 

Most likely everything that happened with all of our OTHER opponents changed... which had a cascading effect.  Buffalo looked worse offensively... atlanta looked worse offensively as a result of who they played... miami looked better... etc. etc. etc.

what about the rest of what they have on there isn't passing the eye test.  Sometimes, such as with denver, things are a bit higher than you expect.  But mostly the rankings are a who's who of the NFL.

I hope Pettine is able to stay on .. he's done a nice job given the talent level, injuries, etc.  They at least are able to get off the field on a regular basis, and I don't see near as much confusion on the field.  Hopefully he's got some confusion prepared for Trubisky this week .. I think that kind can throw a us a couple.

20 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I mean...he still needs excuses because we have like the 25th ranked defense. This is measurably the worst defense we've had since 2013. I see a group of not very good talent playing not very well.

At this point, just not sure what you're watching.

8 hours ago, Leader said:

Nagler:

“I’ll just say this. Mike Pettine, he does an amazing job. I have a lot of respect for him. He’s a top defensive coordinator in the league. He doesn’t make things easy for you.” Matt Nagy.

I felt this was genuine. Mitch was really dialed in Sunday and you guys held our offensive pretty well.

Dom’s units after the SB had so many big plays. I feel like Mikes are much harder to bust.

31 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I felt this was genuine. Mitch was really dialed in Sunday and you guys held our offensive pretty well.

Dom’s units after the SB had so many big plays. I feel like Mikes are much harder to bust.

2018 - GB ranks 16th in explosive run plays given up and 19th in explosive pass plays

2017 - 11th and 26th

2016 - 11th and 28th

For comparison

On 11/14/2018 at 7:36 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

For anybody that thinks I'm full of **** when I say that the Packers aren't emphasizing the OLBs for sacks ..

It's extremely difficult to get sacks as an edge rusher if you're not getting pressure package rushes. 8 pressure package rushes total for your OLBs is nothing.

It's extremely difficult to get sacks as an edge rusher if you're getting chipped on every play. Getting chipped on 75% of rushes is crazy. 

So no one has been pushing the narrative that Clay's lack of production in 2018 is because sacks are just too hard (or "extremely difficult") to come by as an OLBer in Pettine's scheme, right?

Why is it so hard for some to admit that whether he is generating 3.5 sacks in Pettine's scheme in 2018 or 7.5, 6.5, 5, and 7.5 sacks his last 4 seasons as an OLB in Dom's scheme Clay Matthews has not been a premiere edge rusher for many years -- despite being paid like one?

6 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

So no one has been pushing the narrative that Clay's lack of production in 2018 is because sacks are just too hard (or "extremely difficult") to come by as an OLBer in Pettine's scheme, right?

Why is it so hard for some to admit that whether he is generating 3.5 sacks in Pettine's scheme in 2018 or 7.5, 6.5, 5, and 7.5 sacks his last 4 seasons as an OLB in Dom's scheme Clay Matthews has not been a premiere edge rusher for many years -- despite being paid like one?

Can you make 1 post that isn't about Clay Matthews? And no it doesn't count if that post is about Nick Perry instead.

On 12/24/2018 at 11:42 AM, TheOnlyThing said:

On 12/24/2018 at 11:49 AM, Packerraymond said:

Can you make 1 post that isn't about Clay Matthews? And no it doesn't count if that post is about Nick Perry instead.

I just want to jump in regarding Matthews.

I think, just my thought here, that if Gute was able to land a Robinson or Johnson for big bucks last year, it may have spelled the end to Matthews, as it was easy money to get.  But since those guys didn't choose GB, Gute wasn't forced to eliminate Matthews last year.

And here is where I am at regarding his play....  I look at effort.  I've seen Clay do some dirty work on stunts that have led to other guys getting sacks.  He isn't premier, but he has played better this year than I've seen in a while.  Despite his lack of sack numbers, I'm not unhappy that he has been on the team.

Odds are against him coming back, for sure, but I don't want to discount his lack of effort this year.  And I do believe he'd not be on the team if other high priced free agents had chosen GB.

From Ben Fennell at The Athletic

"The Packers defensive personnel (particularly their DTs and LBs) aren’t well-equipped to play the pass. The defensive tackles are space-eating, line-of-scrimmage dwellers and the linebackers are downhill run stoppers. On first-down run situations, offenses can get the Packers into a base personnel defense with few defensive backs and then sell run action to hold the front seven"

The statistics tell the story how opposing teams are attacking the Packers.

First down: 116.3 QB rating (31st) – 19 plays of 25 yards

Second down: 98.6 QB rating (22nd) – nine plays of 25 yards

Third down: 74.3 QB rating (6th) – four plays of 25 yards

I recall this was an issue in Capers defense too, especially with all the beef had on the DL: Raji, Pickett, Jolly and Green too. Teams stopped trying to run against that front and rolled out the play action... QBs had plenty of time to scan the field on early downs

Archived