The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

If Bradbury keeps improving and O'Neil keeps on his pace, those are two huge longterm pieces for the OL.

I still wouldn't mind getting 2 more OL in the first 3 rounds of the 2020 draft though... We need a future replacement for Reiff, and at least one starting caliber guard.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

If Bradbury keeps improving and O'Neil keeps on his pace, those are two huge longterm pieces for the OL.

I still wouldn't mind getting 2 more OL in the first 3 rounds of the 2020 draft though... We need a future replacement for Reiff, and at least one starting caliber guard.

Agreed. Definitely need to invest in another Tackle early. I’d actually look to do so sooner than later and cut Reiff to save some cap space. I don’t think he’s very good anymore.  

Guard is still a major concern for me. Kline has been a nice find but he’s nearing 30 and is showing to be a bit injury prone this year. I’d like him to return next year. Elflein is quickly showing to be a bust, but maybe he turns it around soon. 

Basically,  I think the left side of the OL needs to be overhauled in 2020. Draft a Tackle in round one or two and grab a Guard in the middle of the draft. Hopefully Dru Samia can push for a starting spot.

Maybe O’Neill can be moved to LT to make room for Udoh at RT but I don’t think anyone knows what to expect from Udoh in year two.

Edited by vikingsrule

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Agreed. Definitely need to invest in another Tackle early. I’d actually look to do so sooner than later and cut Reiff to save some cap space. I don’t think he’s very good anymore.  

Guard is still a major concern for me. Kline has been a nice find but he’s nearing 30 and is showing to be a bit injury prone this year. I’d like him to return next year. Elflein is quickly showing to be a bust. 

Basically,  I think the left side of the OL needs to be overhauled in 2020. Draft a Tackle in round one or two and grab a Guard in the middle of the draft. Hopefully Dru Samia can push for a starting spot.

Maybe O’Neill can be moved to LT to make room for Udoh at RT but I don’t think anyone what to expect from Udoh in year two.

I would agree with that thought process, but I'm not sure that the OT market is all that strong in the next draft...they may have to wait until 2021 to address it.  

13 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I would agree with that thought process, but I'm not sure that the OT market is all that strong in the next draft...they may have to wait until 2021 to address it.  

Could the team get away with starting Hill at a third of the cost until they figure out what they have in Udoh?

its so early in the draft process, they “reached” for O’Neill a couple years back and he’s proving everyone wrong. 

Edited by vikingsrule

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I would not be surprised to see Elflein cut next year, likely during training camp. I don’t think he fits this type of blocking scheme. 

This is exactly the type of scheme that he fits.  His failures aren't because of the scheme.  

23 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I would not be surprised to see Elflein cut next year, likely during training camp. I don’t think he fits this type of blocking scheme. 

I think they keep him around and let him finish out his rookie contract. He’s cheap and can play the Brett Jones role as the backup interior OL on game day. 

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I think they keep him around and let him finish out his rookie contract. He’s cheap and can play the Brett Jones role as the backup interior OL on game day. 

Yeah, Elflein doesn't fit any scheme. But I agree that he would be useful to keep around as a interior OL backup given his cost. That is exactly where I would have preferred the had him this year too but they were unable to secure an upgrade to put in the starting lineup, which is an incredibly low bar.

It would be nice if Samia develops throughout the year and shows that he would be a piece the team could rely on to start. If he doesn't beat out Elflein at some point by the end of the year out hope for him should be severely tempered.