Is the Steelers offense overrated?

CP3MVP

On 4/19/2018 at 5:44 PM, biletnikoff said:

Never actually pans out? How do you over  rate constantly  making the playoffs and averaging  more than one SB every 10 years? 

This doesnt have anything to do with it. The thread is about the current iteration of the Steelers offense. The Steelers havent been to the SB since 2010, and the last time they won in 2008, neither Brown nor Bell were on the team.

On 4/22/2018 at 1:28 PM, TXsteeler said:

This is both some of the most sloppy and most blatant trolling I've seen out of you. You were up late drinking last night weren't you?

I wish this were the excuse that we could give him TXsteeler, but I'm afraid it's not because that would consist of him having to leave his bubble wrapped nuclear shelter and that ain't happening in his current state.

On 4/19/2018 at 9:31 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

As far as talent, not overrated.  As far as production, extremely overrated.

This is probably the best way to describe it. The attention that Bell gets because of suspension/franchise tender issues plus Big Ben's will he won't he retire and then Bryant coming back from suspension and complaining about not getting the ball while AB is the best of the bunch and doesnt say much of anything. 

Is Ben still their QB? Then no the Steelers offense is not overrated. 

How good is Ben? How valuable is he to the Steelers. Well in the Ben Era, the Steelers have no used any pick in the first three rounds on a QB. That’s says a ton.

22 hours ago, childofpudding said:

This doesnt have anything to do with it. The thread is about the current iteration of the Steelers offense. The Steelers havent been to the SB since 2010, and the last time they won in 2008, neither Brown nor Bell were on the team.

Just ignore him, he arbitrarily cherry picks stats to act like there is some historic reason you should believe his opinions. In the same breath he'll take a team like the Patriots who have been to the most Super Bowls (10 and in case you didn't know that averages out to a Super Bowl every 5 years), who haven't went more than 3 years without an appearance in nearly 20 years, who have went to one every decade since the 80's (in case you didn't notice that's 4 of the 5 and a half decades the Super Bowl existed) and then call them a flash in the pan. 

So obviously because the Steelers were really good in the 70's years ago and went to one in the 90's and 3 in the 2000's they are no brainers to get back there. 

On 4/21/2018 at 3:25 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

How am I far at the end of any spectrum?

I never said Ben wasnt the most important INDIVIDUAL player on the Steelers over the years   In fact, I completely agree with that.      All I did was claim that winning is a team accomplishment (which isnt arguable) and that its not like Ben played on terrible teams that he had to carry year after year.     He's been a great QB that was a integral part of the Steelers success over the years, but he played for one of the best organizations that, for the most part, maintained a level of talent that helped keep this team winning WITH Ben.

And sorry, but most fans wouldnt put Ben on par with Manning/Brady/Brees/Rodgers and especially Manziel.     They were all clearly better QBs.   Thats not a slight on Ben.....but you could argue all of them as top 5 QBs all time...while Ben is probably arguable as top 15-20.

Bottom line....I'm really struggling to understand how saying Ben isnt on the level of GOAT QBs and that winning is a team accomplishment is in any way disrespectful to Ben.  

Ben's in a weird tier. He's almost like in his own tier. I've always viewed it...

Brady/Brees/Rodgers (Manning when he was around)

Ben

Then the next level

54 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Ben's in a weird tier. He's almost like in his own tier. I've always viewed it...

Ben

Then the next level

Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Manziel, then Ben

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

Ben

Then the next level

That's a weird tier you have if that's how you have always viewed it. Unless you have only been watching football for 5 years or so, anyhow.

18 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

That's a weird tier you have if that's how you have always viewed it. Unless you have only been watching football for 5 years or so, anyhow.

I've thought that since 2010/2011.

Clearly there was a big 4 at the time. Brady/Brees/Manning/Rodgers. Those were indisputably the elite guys. Then there was Ben who was just outside that club. Then there were the Rivers/Romo's of the world who were clearly franchise but not in that HOF caliber level. Ben's always kind of been just enough to be HOF, not enough to be considered in that all timer super elite level.

11 hours ago, lancerman said:

Wait did you think I was talking all time? Cause yeah that would explain it. 

Romo and Rivers were absolutely on that 2nd tier with Ben for a number of years.

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Romo and Rivers were absolutely on that 2nd tier with Ben for a number of years.

Yup.

Ben may have been seen as the best of the bunch, but he was never considered a tier above Romo and Rivers. 

On 4/20/2018 at 9:02 AM, Spartacus said:

I think they would most likely have won 1 SB instead of 2 but that depends on who their QB was outside of Ben. Don't put me into the same boat as the people saying Ben is overrated that's is not what I am saying. He is a great QB. I would put him right under the elite tier of QBs. 

The Steerlers don't win a ring in '05 or '08 without a great QB. And in 2008, probably not without one built like Ben. He took a beating that year. The OL was worse than what the Seahawks trotted out last year. The running game was fueled by Mewelde Moore - a career third down back. And the WR's certainly didn't scare anyone.

You quote points allowed (23 and 24 points isn't what I'd call the performance of a "juggernaut" defense). Should I go back through the playoff games the "elite" Peyton Manning lost where 20 points would of done it? The times he had the ball in his hands late and blew games to some completely mediocre playoff opponents? That juggernaut defense made some plays in that playoff run and in the Super Bowl, obviously. They also blew a 4th quarter, and allowed the Chargers to make a blowout into something of a game (it was the offense that put an end to it).

I also can't stress enough how moronic I find the talk of tiers and this mythical "elite" title.

If I had to win one game tomorrow and my life depended on it, I'm not taking Drew Brees or Peyton Manning over Ben Roethlisberger. If it's week 15 and Peyton is facing the Lions and my fantasy championship depends on,* sure, I'll take Peyton.

*I don't play fantasy football

is Pittsburgh's coaching better than average?

so much better than what Romo & Rivers had that it can be a detriment for him in narrow, off-season, just-to-pass-the-time comparisons involving Ben?

there was some great coaching and playing by the recent Super Bowl winners

how much of Ben is Ben and how much is coaching.

Archived