NFL Suspends Bucs QB Jameis Winston for 3 Games

Dr LBC

13 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I will never understand why the general NFL populace was happy with the outcome of Brady v. NFL. In practice, it legitimized all future sham suspensions.

Jealousy at Brady and the Patriots organization, lingering feelings of resentment about Spygate, and people feeling as though "justice" was somehow done for him/their organization having a history of cheating. But, I agree with you.

To be fair, I have less than zero pity for Zeke Elliot, given that he exposed a woman in public completely against her will.

And if he would have been suspended for those actions (totally warranted and there's a video out there of him doing it), I would have applauded the suspension. That said, I felt like it was another NFL PR move to make themselves look good while abusing the power of the commissioner.

But if people were really interested in legitimate, law enforcement limited outcomes to NFL investigations, they had their time to speak up and generally applauded the NFL.

I guess this is what makes it difficult. Where's the line of due process and suspensions, let alone the length of suspension? I understand that this isn't all for a court and that due process doesn't always apply in employment situations, and that sometimes there are pictures and videos of abuse (AD, Hardy, Ray Rice) that need addressed immediately, even before court. But what about the gray areas?

For example, why couldn't Zeke have been suspended 3 games for exposing that woman in public, with the potential for more looming down the road pending an investigation? The DV incident that never happened and was proven so through various different means mentioned above should never have been used. And I guess that's what I also don't understand, how the length of the suspension is determined. Rice gets 2 games, AD gets the season, Hardy and Zeke get somewhere between 4 and 6 games, Tom Brady gets 4 for being generally aware of deflating footballs...is there a roulette wheel in Roger Goodell's office?

On 6/21/2018 at 8:02 AM, MWil23 said:

I mean, the NFL suspended Ezekiel Elliott 6 games for a DV issue that was cleared by the Columbus police, with documented evidence that his ex was trying to ruin his career, lied about it, and photographic evidence that Zeke wasn't even at the location of the alleged incident when it took place. Throw in 4 games for Brady being probably generally aware of the possibility of footballs being tampered with, and you have Roger Goodell and the NFL penal system in a nutshell.

The NFL suspends on appearance, not facts.  That has been true since Roethlisburger's suspension.  If the press is bad for the shield there is a good chance the player gets suspended.  Especially if the player is well known.

17 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I will never understand why the general NFL populace was happy with the outcome of Brady v. NFL. In practice, it legitimized all future sham suspensions. To be fair, I have less than zero pity for Zeke Elliot, given that he exposed a woman in public completely against her will. But if people were really interested in legitimate, law enforcement limited outcomes to NFL investigations, they had their time to speak up and generally applauded the NFL.

Because fans are generally dumb and in large numbers didn’t understand the trial had more to do with the process of the NFL’s arbitration system than the facts (which were paper thin and highly selective to say the least). Oh and at the risk of pissing people off, they were jealous and wanted to see the successful team get taken down a peg 

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

The NFL suspends on appearance, not facts.  That has been true since Roethlisburger's suspension.  If the press is bad for the shield there is a good chance the player gets suspended.  Especially if the player is well known.

NFL is fickle. They need new leadership at the top. They cave to all pressure when it comes to their image. They just keep destroying the product as time goes on.

15 minutes ago, N4L said:

So what exactly happened with the uber driver? All Ive seen is 'incident with uber driver" 

Winston was allegedly in the front seat and grabbed her crotch before she told him to stop, which he apparently did. Effectively he’s accused of sexual assault. 

Ronald Darby and “a third person” were also in the Uber and Darby has stated that Winston was in the back with him. It appears that Darby (and presumably the third person) weren’t in the Uber for the whole journey, so at some point it was just Winston and the Uber driver.

Winston’s account was suspended by Uber, though apparently he wasn’t told why, and he didn’t notify the league of his account being suspended.

More info here:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/nov/17/jameis-winston-nfl-uber-grope-allegation

27 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

Winston was allegedly in the front seat and grabbed her crotch before she told him to stop, which he apparently did. Effectively he’s accused of sexual assault. 

Ronald Darby and “a third person” were also in the Uber and Darby has stated that Winston was in the back with him. It appears that Darby (and presumably the third person) weren’t in the Uber for the whole journey, so at some point it was just Winston and the Uber driver.

Winston’s account was suspended by Uber, though apparently he wasn’t told why, and he didn’t notify the league of his account being suspended.

More info here:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/nov/17/jameis-winston-nfl-uber-grope-allegation

To make sure I fully understand what's being alleged here (or what exactly the suspendable offense is), if he truly did not know the reason for the suspension of his Uber account, why would he notify the league about it?

18 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

To make sure I fully understand what's being alleged here (or what exactly the suspendable offense is), if he truly did not know the reason for the suspension of his Uber account, why would he notify the league about it?

Apparently he received a message from Uber saying that his account was being suspended because of the behaviour of “him or one of his party”. I think it’s in the article, but the message from Uber seems like a standard message and doesn’t provide specifics.

On that basis, I have no idea why he would have notified the league about it. If you did nothing wrong, you’d probably think nothing of it and move on.

The other side of the coin is that he probably wouldn’t notify the league if he was guilty of the allegations. 

Tough one to call, but the league surely has to have more information than what’s out there already.

So Darby was lying when he initially said there were three people in that uber ride? Seems like they were possibly trying to pin it on the third person…. who now we know was Banks who is serving time for rape. But because Banks is trying to appeal, no way he could take the fall for Winston here. Um yeah, not good at all. 

But how does the league only suspend him three weeks here? It's either he committed the crime or not. Should be six games or nothing. The league looks just as bad as Winston/Darby here. Well, maybe not Winston if he did commit the crime but bad nonetheless. 

Archived