Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

18 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The new TV deal money is showing how much of a bargain extensions done even 3-4 months ago will look going forward.   

Remember when ppl suggested Von wasn’t worth 16M (the amount saved under discussion) and saying he should agree to a pay cut? 

TJ Watt is a far better player to invest in because of the stage of career he’s at - but 4/112M and 3/80 fully guaranteed, easy to see why Miller’s camp told Paton to pound sand and Paton rightfully acquiesced.  The new pay scale of top pass rushers getting over 25-28M is the new standard    We are already seeing 35-40M as the QB extension bar (which you pay for elite guys like Mahomes & Allen - not guys like Baker but that’s the bar).    And likely only going to go up with the increasing revenues from the 2022 TV deals.  

The crazy part?   Watt likely left money on the table.   The next couple of offseasons are going to be eye opening for what constitutes market value for top players.   

They’ve got tough decisions to make with the edge rushers. What is the ceiling for your offer to Bradley Chubb, a very good and Pro Bowl caliber but not elite edge defender? 

And Von to me looks like he could play at a high level into his mid 30s like a lot of elite HOF pass rushers have in the past. I actually have more faith in Von to produce and stay healthy over the next couple years than Chubb. He’s one of the greatest ever. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

15 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

They’ve got tough decisions to make with the edge rushers. What is the ceiling for your offer to Bradley Chubb, a very good and Pro Bowl caliber but not elite edge defender? 

And Von to me looks like he could play at a high level into his mid 30s like a lot of elite HOF pass rushers have in the past. I actually have more faith in Von to produce and stay healthy over the next couple years than Chubb. He’s one of the greatest ever. 

We've got Chubb pretty cheap for two more seasons. I'm curious about what happens with Von this year. 

17 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yeah I'm totally fine with making Chubb prove that he can be the alpha.   Nothing he's done so far says he'd thrive in the same role.   Since we don't have to decide, that's not a decision we need to pursue heavily at this stage.   As the new TV $ news is known, there's no value in trying to get a substantial discount, and Chubb would want to be paid elite pass rusher $ to give away his FA years so early.   That's not a smart move on our part - paying non-elite players elite $ rarely works out.

Until Chubb shows he has that elite-level ability, no reason but to just play out the string there.

Edited by Broncofan

On 9/13/2021 at 11:34 PM, AKRNA said:

We've got Chubb pretty cheap for two more seasons. I'm curious about what happens with Von this year. 

I think Von will be gone. Paton wanted him to take a pay cut, he refused and said “honor my contract or cut me” and Paton opted for the latter, in part, from what reporting has said because a) Elway wanted Von retained and b) Paton didn’t want the PR hit of cutting the team’s most popular and recognizable player.

I’d be shocked if Paton brings Von back next year absent Von having a 2015-like season. We don’t need Von at $20m when for the same money Paton can sign 3 or 4 Minnesota castoffs who help us achieve the goal of playing meaningful football in November and December. 

21 hours ago, broncosfan07 said:

Nagy is a terrible coach and has been for awhile.

3 minutes ago, champ11 said:

lol 

Imagine you drafted Fields since May, know he's going to be your starting QB eventually, you know his skill set, the OL problems, and THIS is the gameplan you've spent all summer developing:

Nothing that leverages Fields' best skills, nothing that gives him more time to process, and nothing presnap to help him make reads vs. NFL D's.   Just embarrassingly HS-level simpleton game planning.

Nagy had a great rookie season as HC.  But much like Chip Kelly, once the D's figured out his first ideas - he's come up with nothing.  Outside of Gase last year, he might very well have been the worst game-planning and play-calling HC around.  And that's saying something.

Edited by Broncofan

21 hours ago, broncosfan07 said:

Nagy is a terrible coach and has been for awhile.

Agreed. And the Andy Reid tree is laden with successful coaches as well. The Bears are my second team and I liked the hire when it was made. Some of the blame as well does fall on GM Ryan Pace's shoulders, however, as he ignored the OL for so long and now he might potentially ruin a potential franchise QB because of it.