Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

46 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Don’t care about Pro Bowl popularity contests. They’ll be happy to not overpay a mauler of a right tackle who was never a great fit in their pass heavy offense as a LT. They’ll be fine. Their OL was in much worse shape last year and they went to a Super Bowl. The Bills were putting pressure on Mahomes all night and he continued to be the magician he is. It’s hard to undervalue an all time great QB, but that’s what you’re doing. They’ll be in the mix for the next decade simply because of that. It really is that simple.

I am absolutely not undervaluing Mahomes. I'm a huge fan. He's great. So good in fact that I think without much of a supporting cast he can get them in the PO's many years. That's when it gets tough. You're right, they went to a SB last year, then got crushed by a better team that pummeled Mahomes unmercifully. 

I'm simply pointing out some obvious problems. I've already stated that I'm really curious how it plays out. Historically KC has a mountain to climb now that no other team or QB has overcome. We'll see how it works out. I don't have a dog in this fight, just plain curiosity. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I don't think anyones "hanging" on that. I'm just really interested. The debate had been going on for most of this century. Maybe he'll be the first to break the mold. 

I don't think there's much doubt he'll be in the playoffs a lot in his career, he's an incredible talent. The question is, can he get another ring. So far, that answer has been no.

I am honestly at the point where I am willing to say that at this point in his career, the Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid combo is better than anything I have ever seen for someone so young.

Nobody has done what he's done at this point in his career. And, as others have alluded to, the question isn't about how many rings he wins from a Broncos fan perspective - it's as much about how good he is in the regular season, i.e as our competitor.

Sure, things might get harder with cap constraints. But he's proven he can win with a terrible Defense and at times in his career, poor OL play. 

He's never had to play consistently without Kelce and Hill, but he won't have to for quite a while.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I am absolutely not undervaluing Mahomes. I'm a huge fan. He's great. So good in fact that I think without much of a supporting cast he can get them in the PO's many years. That's when it gets tough. You're right, they went to a SB last year, then got crushed by a better team that pummeled Mahomes unmercifully. 

I'm simply pointing out some obvious problems. I've already stated that I'm really curious how it plays out. Historically KC has a mountain to climb now that no other team or QB has overcome. We'll see how it works out. I don't have a dog in this fight, just plain curiosity. 

Again, you’re only viewing this through the lens of KC being a potential dynasty. Maybe that happens, maybe it doesn’t. That isn’t the issue for Denver. The issue for Denver is that all time great QBs in recent history dominate their divisions. It doesn’t matter for us if they lose in AFC Championships to better all around teams. What does matter is they will always be in the way and it’s very hard to win a SB as a wild card. 

7 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I am honestly at the point where I am willing to say that at this point in his career, the Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid combo is better than anything I have ever seen for someone so young.

Nobody has done what he's done at this point in his career. And, as others have alluded to, the question isn't about how many rings he wins from a Broncos fan perspective - it's as much about how good he is in the regular season, i.e as our competitor.

Sure, things might get harder with cap constraints. But he's proven he can win with a terrible Defense and at times in his career, poor OL play. 

He's never had to play consistently without Kelce and Hill, but he won't have to for quite a while.

Good points, especially the Mahomes / Reid combo. If any one can break the mold they can. I think Shula / Marino may have been better, but it's an extremely short list. 

14 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

If it’s for HC, yeah, that’s not ideal. But if it’s to be Leftwich’s top lieutenant, that’d be a helluva way to start the Lawrence build.

Nah it's not.

Leftwich is only going if they fire Baalke and bring his guy Adrian Wilson in as GM.

Fangio is buddies with Baalke, he'd be hired as HC to work with him

McDaniels as a HC again is going to be so interesting.

He's a very smart guy. Josh knows full well that all eyes are going to be on his maturity, given his antics in Denver and also the Colts debacle a few years back.

He will, no doubt, be cheery and all positive in the early going. It's easy for someone to act like they have changed when the going is good.

But what happens if the Raiders start losing 2,3,4 or more games in a run? That is when we will truly see if he's matured or whether he's still the same brat that we all grew to loathe.

Like I've said previously - McDaniels was a 32 year old husband and father when he was in Denver; not some spotty 15 year old going through puberty. How much more maturing can we expect from a fully grown adult before, 'he is who he is'?

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

He's a very smart guy. Josh knows full well that all eyes are going to be on his maturity, given his antics in Denver and also the Colts debacle a few years back.

He will, no doubt, be cheery and all positive in the early going. It's easy for someone to act like they have changed when the going is good.

But what happens if the Raiders start losing 2,3,4 or more games in a run? That is when we will truly see if he's matured or whether he's still the same brat that we all grew to loathe.

Like I've said previously - McDaniels was a 32 year old husband and father when he was in Denver; not some spotty 15 year old going through puberty. How much more maturing can we expect from a fully grown adult before, 'he is who he is'?

Agreed. Additionally, maturing takes new experiences. So what did Joshy do? Ran back home to papa Bill and continued doing what he did before. What experiences does he have to draw upon when the time to adapt? I’ve long said the only place he would have sustained success was if he took over for bill in NE. That culture is already built. 

throw in an owner in Davis who is not exactly known to give up control the way Kraft is and I see this ending badly.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

46 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Agreed. Additionally, maturing takes new experiences. So what did Joshy do? Ran back home to papa Bill and continued doing what he did before. What experiences does he have to draw upon when the time to adapt? I’ve long said the only place he would have sustained success was if he took over for bill in NE. That culture is already built. 

throw in an owner in Davis who is not exactly known to give up control the way Kraft is and I see this ending badly.

The other part is he took the Indy job as HC and hired guys to be on his staff.  And then walked away and left them high and dry.  The guys that couldn’t get other jobs - GM Chris Ballard kept - Eberfleus was one of them.  Ppl who make it like McDaniels did IND a solid is completely revisionist.  

The biggest flag I see is that LV hasn’t hired their GM, right?   That’s a recipe for disaster given the fact we know from Mark Davis that Jon Gruden was given roster control with “51 percent” of the decision over Mayock (lol just say 100 percent).    Hiring McD before you decide on a GM sounds very much like he’ll get a lot more power than the GM.   That’s a hard pass situation.   

McD as a HC might be better now - but giving him personnel control was the real disaster.   When you combine it with his lack of trust and that he didn’t change his MO with his IND hire-then-walk  - I know the guy’s a bright mind but there are so many flags there.  Kinda classic Mark Davis move.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2