Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

12 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Uh oh, we’re getting sued! Flores is suing us because apparently Elway showed up hungover to his HC interview in 2019, and thus never took Flores seriously as a candidate. Elway was only satisfying the Rooney Rule and was never going to hire him, a Black man. 

I wonder who Flores was interviewing to replace?

I mean, racism issues aren't really something to discuss here so I will keep my thoughts to myself on that.

What I will say that it's on point for Elway to have the affrontery to turn up an hour late and hungover to an interview.

That's terrible form, regardless of why.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Uh oh, we’re getting sued! Flores is suing us because apparently Elway showed up hungover to his HC interview in 2019, and thus never took Flores seriously as a candidate. Elway was only satisfying the Rooney Rule and was never going to hire him, a Black man. 

Obviously BS for the reason you’re alluding to, but if the hangover stuff is legit that is absolutely embarrassing. I’m so happy to be done with Elway and his front office’s utter lack of professionalism. Somehow I don’t think George Paton is getting loaded the night before these interviews. 

15 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

What a moronic decision by Flores. You going to sue teams who didn’t hire you? You think you’re ever going to get a job in the NFL again? 

As far as Elway showing up hungover, that doesn’t surprise me in the least considering the stories I’ve heard. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

What a moronic decision by Flores. You going to sue teams who didn’t hire you? You think you’re ever going to get a job in the NFL again? 

As far as Elway showing up hungover, that doesn’t surprise me in the least considering the stories I’ve heard. 

Including screen shots of Belichick texts is absolutely the nuclear button on his career. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, champ11 said:

pretty cool content - 

Enjoyed watching. Bit cheesy, but it is American, so ... 😂

Couple of boring old man comments - Paton mentioning the diverse group thing 3 times was like something off the Office. We get it, mate. There's a woman, a black man and a Hispanic man on your staff .....

Also - is it not illegal in America to drive with your phone in your hand? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Huh...right after the Broncos just had a black coach in Vance Joseph

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Obviously BS for the reason you’re alluding to, but if the hangover stuff is legit that is absolutely embarrassing. I’m so happy to be done with Elway and his front office’s utter lack of professionalism. Somehow I don’t think George Paton is getting loaded the night before these interviews. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Including screen shots of Belichick texts is absolutely the nuclear button on his career. 

Here's the thing, though - if the G-men did indeed make a decision before Flores interviewed, it violates the Rooney Rule - Patrick Graham doesn't count as a RR interview, because he's a internal candidate.  And because Mara is the Chairman of the the Ownership Executive, he won't be able to say he was ignorant.  He's supposed to be the role model.

The FAR bigger story though is with Ross - the allegations that he brought TB12 in December (before he officially became a FA) on his yacht and tried to get Flores to meet with him is clear tampering.  And that kind of stuff can be easily verified (travel history, etc.).    The next one is the bombshell - that Ross offered Flores 100K for each loss, in an attempt to get the higher pick to get 1.1 (pre-season Tua - funny Flores won all those games, and they still got Tua lol).     

You guys all know many of us want to have the highest pick if we aren't contenders, but it goes without saying we want it to be with the team trying to win the game with the guys on the field.   To try and lose games with $ incentives is an awful look for ownership - but then you add the final kicker that Ross had ties with gambling start-ups.   An owner paying ppl to lose AND with gambling ties? 

If any of the 100K-per-L can be proven, Ross is done, and the league has a massive problem on their hands.   They also have a massive problem on their hands if more candidates come forward and support Flores.   Right now, it's just he said / they said.   

As for the DEN part - it's the least problematic, other than to paint Elway as a lush lol.   None of that proves DEN did anything premature, it's just a bad look.  I imagine the reason why Flores did that was to show an institutional pattern of lame duck RR interviews.  But as a fan, I'm not really worried for DEN.    NYG will face some risk on the pick-penalty side if it can be proven on discovery they made a decision prematurely.  But even then, nothing long-term should come of it.

On the other hand, MIA & the league face MASSIVE fallout if any of the Ross allegations can be supported (and TB12 travel to yacht is very traceable).  The league faces a much bigger problem if more candidates come forward to back Flores.   It certainly puts Flores in a corner if he's alone - but keep in mind, we've seen this kind of story before.   If more ppl come forward to support Flores' claims, this gets a totally different light for the league.   And with MIA, if ANY of either allegation has legs, then MIA & Ross are in massive trouble, and the league in general (given that game-fixing is a killer to a sport whose popularity is very much tied into gambling with the casual public).

Edited by Broncofan

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

A job? He'd be lucky to get an interview.

• Like 1

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/01/denver-broncos-news-brian-flores-lawsuit-team-responds/

Broncos saying that they have meeting minutes for the interview and that there were 5 people there not just Elway and Ellis. If they can produce them it looks very bad for Brian Flores. 

there is no doubt that the lack of black head coaches is an issue in this league. The Rooney Rule is a sham because more times than we like to admit a front office has a guy in mind before it even begins.  But one (former patriot) man not getting a job the SAME offseason he was fired is not the proof of systemic racism he thinks it is. The giants will pay $200k (the standard that has been set by the penalty levied against Lions back when they hired Mariucci)

This is going to end with him not even having a coordinator job and with egg on his face. Which is a shame because it will only serve to distract from the actual issues of racial inequality that exist.

Edited by broncos_fan _from _uk
Flow
  • Like 2

Given that we have a road game against the Jaguars in 2022, I’m really hoping that game gets selected to come to London.

Broncos haven’t been over here in over a decade now so it would be good to get them over without having to give up a home game. 

55 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Given that we have a road game against the Jaguars in 2022, I’m really hoping that game gets selected to come to London.

Broncos haven’t been over here in over a decade now so it would be good to get them over without having to give up a home game. 

That would be cool - a nice weekend away for me.