What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

22 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

First time I've laughed out loud to a post in a long time. 

The U.S. has been ranked in the top 10 most dangerous countries for women, making it the only Western nation to be named among the world's worst guarantors of female rights and safety.

The Thomson Reuters Foundation surveyed 500 experts to determine where women were most at risk. Countries were ranked in six key areas: health care, sexual violence, nonsexual violence, cultural practices, discrimination and human trafficking.

Nine of the top 10 nations were in Asia, the Middle East or Africa. The only Western nation included was the U.S.

America was ranked third with Syria in terms of danger of sexual violence, including rape, sexual harassment, coercion into sex and the lack of access to justice in rape cases. The next worst, in the opinion of those surveyed, was the Democratic Republic of Congo.

For nonsexual violence—including conflict-related violence and forms of domestic physical and mental abuse—the U.S. was ranked sixth. Syria, now in its seventh year of a catastrophic civil war, was ranked third overall.

https://www.newsweek.com/us-top-10-most-dangerous-countries-women-report-995229?fbclid=IwAR2iRiLP_7mAgJbFUBlQJoueiJfntaA1y9r3GFpIMadps-5J3wL8iTIljF8

Edited by vike daddy

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I mean, it's all the crappy midwest.  Here in the good ole south, I've already got cucumbers, peppers, and tomatoes in my garden.  Because, ya know, 75% of our year is summer.

Yes, and we all know there’s nothing as pleasant as summer in the south....

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

The U.S. has been ranked in the top 10 most dangerous countries for women, making it the only Western nation to be named among the world's worst guarantors of female rights and safety.

The Thomson Reuters Foundation surveyed 500 experts to determine where women were most at risk. Countries were ranked in six key areas: health care, sexual violence, nonsexual violence, cultural practices, discrimination and human trafficking.

Nine of the top 10 nations were in Asia, the Middle East or Africa. The only Western nation included was the U.S.

America was ranked third with Syria in terms of danger of sexual violence, including rape, sexual harassment, coercion into sex and the lack of access to justice in rape cases. The next worst, in the opinion of those surveyed, was the Democratic Republic of Congo.

For nonsexual violence—including conflict-related violence and forms of domestic physical and mental abuse—the U.S. was ranked sixth. Syria, now in its seventh year of a catastrophic civil war, was ranked third overall.

https://www.newsweek.com/us-top-10-most-dangerous-countries-women-report-995229?fbclid=IwAR2iRiLP_7mAgJbFUBlQJoueiJfntaA1y9r3GFpIMadps-5J3wL8iTIljF8

I’m not sure what their criteria is but any list that says the US is more dangerous for women than Mexico is a joke

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_homicides_in_Ciudad_Juárez

9 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I’m not sure what their criteria is but any list that says the US is more dangerous for women than Mexico is a joke

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_homicides_in_Ciudad_Juárez

It's a survey.  Not hard evidence.  And i'm guessing that of those 500 "experts" surveyed, a disproportionate amount were US based.  So there's going to be some slant.

Also, Europe is more dangerous because i've watched Taken.  Seemed pretty believable to me.

• Like 2

Just now, theJ said:

It's a survey.  Not hard evidence.  And i'm guessing that of those 500 "experts" surveyed, a disproportionate amount were US based.  So there's going to be some slant.

While somewhat "reliable" on data/statistics, they are center/left slanted if you look up Thomas Reuters Media Bias.

26 minutes ago, theJ said:

Also, Europe is more dangerous because i've watched Taken.  Seemed pretty believable to me.

I mean, it is.  What we call sexual harassment here is still a normal part of the culture in much of Europe outside of Scandinavia and the urban centers can be pretty sketchy the last few years with large migrant populations.  Although I wouldn’t say Western Europe is all that different from the US.  Just different threats.

But that’s still Europe.  The bigger point is you can’t say with a straight face the US or Europe is more dangerous for women or has a less functional justice system than really any country in Central, South America, most of Africa, or parts of Asia.  As someone who has been to those parts of the world... violence is the norm and the police are often a non factor... let’s get real.  We are very lucky to live here.

• Like 2

And that’s not meant as an attack on those parts of the world it’s just reality.  I’ve spent a lot of time in Mexico and have a lot of Mexican friends who would agree that it is unfortunate there government is run by narcos and their society has to deal with so much violence and injustice, particularly women.  We have problems in the US but not even in the same ballpark, thank God.

45 minutes ago, theJ said:

I didn't really get an answer looking at the Newsweek summary or the site itself on if the experts were saying violence against women period or violence against women relative to the rest of the population. Obviously, that would have a drastic shift on the results.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I didn't really get an answer looking at the Newsweek summary or the site itself on if the experts were saying violence against women period or violence against women relative to the rest of the population. Obviously, that would have a drastic shift on the results.

There was a lack of detail within the link, for sure.