What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

Just now, ET80 said:

*Shrug*

Move out here. No income tax, great food, hot women. Buy a house boat, open up a butcher and fish shop.

... I mean.... when you put it that way...

I got my dads truck and his company gas card... not expected back with the truck until late Wednesday. I could make it through Missourah before they cut me off.

• Like 1

I have an iPhone 11, and I have to say that ever since getting this phone, roughly 50% of my pictures are accidental screenshots taken because I'm trying to turn the freaking volume up/down on my phone and accidentally press the volume button + the other button. Who the hell thought placing the buttons directly across from each other was a good idea?!

19 hours ago, Dome said:

... I mean.... when you put it that way...

I got my dads truck and his company gas card... not expected back with the truck until late Wednesday. I could make it through Missourah before they cut me off.

I did it and don't regret it. Only downside is the mosquitos but you kinda learn to just tolerate them and invest in bug spray.

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Fraud that kills hundreds of thousands and ruined the lives of god knows how many more, and not a day in jail. And the fines that they're planning to pay off by selling more oxycontin are a slap in the face.

This is infuriating.

This is the first I'm hearing of this. You're probably one of the few I'll trust on this topic, so mind breaking it down like you would your parents?

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This is the first I'm hearing of this. You're probably one of the few I'll trust on this topic, so mind breaking it down like you would your parents?

When I was 16 the doctors gave me 120 max dosage Vicodin for a minor foot injury, when I went in for a minor medical procedure on my foot I got like 80 more... repeated this process a few times with 100% legitimate (albeit quite minor) foot injuries. they loaded me up with more vicodin each time.

and THAT is how you get a kid hooked on pain killers...

I thought it was rad at the time, just got to be high all the time. now as an adult I realize the doctor was likely getting hefty kickbacks for over-prescribing the **** to me... money in exchange for my wellbeing. I was hooked for a few years, THANKS DOC!!!

i would guess it’s something like that, but across an entire generation.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The short version of this is that Purdue repeatedly falsified data that oxycontin was safe to administer repeatedly, and provided kickbacks to doctors who overprescribed it. Then they were found guilty, fined but not jailed because justice system, and did immediately resumed what they were doing for another decade. The Sackler family is unrepentantly, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo levels of evil. And our sack of **** justice department is letting them get away with it.

The longer versions are summarized here:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/30/the-family-that-built-an-empire-of-pain

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-sackler-familys-plan-to-keep-its-billions

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The short version of this is that Purdue repeatedly falsified data that oxycontin was safe to administer repeatedly, and provided kickbacks to doctors who overprescribed it. Then they were found guilty, fined but not jailed because justice system, and did immediately resumed what they were doing for another decade. The Sackler family is unrepentantly, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo levels of evil. And our sack of **** justice department is letting them get away with it.

The longer versions are summarized here:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/30/the-family-that-built-an-empire-of-pain

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-sackler-familys-plan-to-keep-its-billions

Appreciate the summary, will read up. 

Stuff like this interests me - I started my Masters' thesis on Merck and their rushed efforts on Vioxx and they subsequent recalls stemming from that. It was much of the same - rushed and falsified documentation, overly sexualized sales people offering doctors huge incentives for prescriptions, then a significant effort to cover any sort of wrongdoing. 

This seems much worse...

3 hours ago, Dome said:

When I was 16 the doctors gave me 120 max dosage Vicodin for a minor foot injury, when I went in for a minor medical procedure on my foot I got like 80 more... repeated this process a few times with 100% legitimate (albeit quite minor) foot injuries. they loaded me up with more vicodin each time.

and THAT is how you get a kid hooked on pain killers...

I'm no stranger to Vicodin, with my knees. I've even had Oxycotin before, after I told my dentist about my knee surgeries - he was concerned that my wisdom teeth removal would need something a bit stronger if I was used to Vicodin.

Never really thought of it from an addiction vantage point, but I could absolutely see it in that direction. I guess I never thought of it like that...