brownie man

Will Hue Be Our Coach in 2019?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Will Hue Be Our Coach in 2019?

• Yes
    • No and gets fired during season
    • No and get fired after the season

1 hour ago, TheeRealDeal said:

He is a great leader. He can get a team to follow him without being a control freak dictator like the Belichek tree. He bring energy and passion and brings it out of those around him like Dabo Sweeney.

He believe in discipline and accountability and as a result his players are more discipline and dedicated to their craft learning the smallest of details making them more successful despite a lack of natural ability.

He gets the absolute most out of the talent on the team from the best player to the least talented guy.

He is a scheme to player coach much like what makes Bill Belichek so great. He will never pound a square peg into a round hole the way Hue Jackson does things. He comes from a program that has been built on and preaches Players 1st, Formations 2nd then Plays last.

He will never be a my way or the high way guy. He is open minded and will accept the help of coaches on his coaching staff. He will never be a this is the way we have always done it so this is how we are going to do it kind of guy.

As mentioned before College Football and the NFL are two different worlds. Some guys can make the transition and some guys cannot. There really is no way to be able to judge who can and who cannot but to me Matt Campbell is well worth the risk.

Great post. I also now believe @TheeRealDeal may actually be Matt Campbell. That was an inspiring sell.

I am not real enthused by bringing anyone over from the college ranks with no NFL coaching experience, and handing them the keys to the Ferrari right away. I know there are advantages to the NFL game over the college game, but there are nuances to the pro game as well that must be learned on the job in order to be successful. As a rule, I just am not comfortable doing that with NFL unproven talent.

That being said, there are three names with NFL pedigree that I think should be in the conversation if/when Hue is replaced.

Current Green Bay Head Coach Mike McCarthy. If I recall the scenario correctly, when former GM Ted Thompson stepped down this past offseason, a power struggle ensued. Brian Gutekunst won out, but he was not a McCarthy guy. McCarthy calls the plays, and Aaron Rodgers is now taking shots at Mike for his play calling. So, when was the last time a GM backed a HC (who was not his choice) over a star QB? I could see a parting of the ways in Green Bay, and if so - I could certainly see him being brought here.

Current Kansas City Special Teams Coordinator Dave Toub. This one may be a longer shot than most think. The main reason you bring someone on board to your organization is to make it stronger - aka fix an issue. Dave's special team units have a track record of being at the top of the league, so that would be a great start to upgrading a chronic problem area on the Browns this season - special teams. But Kansas City also gave him the title this year of "Assistant Head Coach". That may be a way of retaining him for the day that Andy Reid steps away.

Current Houston Texans Special Teams Coordinator Brad Seeley. Much like Dave Toub's units, Brad Seeley's special teams groups have been the envy of the league. It is true that Brad has no NFL Head Coaching experience, Brad does have 40 years coaching experience, the bulk of that as a ST coach at the NFL level. Those coaches are always tasked with getting maximum results out of NFL fringe talent players. This is a man who simply has paid his dues. I feel he would bring coordinators in he is comfortable with, and I have every confidence in him to deliver. Bill O'Brien's entire staff may be on thin ice in Houston - and I could see a move being made.

Other than Pete Carroll and Nick Saban, 1 success and 1 failure story of coaches transitioning from College to NFL, what other coaches out there have made the leap from being good college coaches to NFL head coaches and not completely tanked?

I like Riley, but after watching the Nick Saban fiasco I dont know if he would want to leave Oaklahoma or be overly successful in the NFL. He has only been a HC in college football for 1.5 years, its not like he has built some monster of a program for the past decade and might be considering different options.  If we wanted to go that route, the biggest mistake the Browns ever made was letting Kyle Shannahan walk out that door 4 years ago.

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Other than Pete Carroll and Nick Saban, 1 success and 1 failure story of coaches transitioning from College to NFL, what other coaches out there have made the leap from being good college coaches to NFL head coaches and not completely tanked?

I like Riley, but after watching the Nick Saban fiasco I dont know if he would want to leave Oaklahoma or be overly successful in the NFL. A lot of people act like he can just step into the NFL and our offense would look like KCs but I have my doubts. If we wanted to go that route, the biggest mistake the Browns ever made was letting Kyle Shannahan walk out that door 4 years ago.

Tbh I’d prolly rather have a college job.

More job security tbh.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Tbh I’d prolly rather have a college job.

More job security tbh.

That and the fact that last year in 2017 was the first year he has ever been a HC. He has 1.5 years of HC experience at any level and people are willing to break the bank for him to come be the savior of the Browns franchise? Seems like too much of a risk for both parties. He is just getting his feet wet in college and I believe if he was a little more accomplished, he would be more open to going to the NFL.

Im just sayin, it took Kyle Shannahan years of NFL OC experience and multiple jobs just to get an interview for a HC position even when everybody knew he was a offensive guru on the NFL level and he was still passed up on by a lot of teams before settling on the 49ers. I just feel like fans might think higher of Riley than NFL teams would if he said he wanted to coach. Im not even sure any team would even offer a 35 year old with limited HC experience in the college ranks anything but a OC position.

16 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

That and the fact that last year in 2017 was the first year he has ever been a HC. He has 1.5 years of HC experience at any level and people are willing to break the bank for him to come be the savior of the Browns franchise? Seems like too much of a risk for both parties. He is just getting his feet wet in college and I believe if he was a little more accomplished, he would be more open to going to the NFL.

Im just sayin, it took Kyle Shannahan years of NFL OC experience and multiple jobs just to get an interview for a HC position even when everybody knew he was a offensive guru on the NFL level and he was still passed up on by a lot of teams before settling on the 49ers. I just feel like fans might think higher of Riley than NFL teams would if he said he wanted to coach. Im not even sure any team would even offer a 35 year old with limited HC experience in the college ranks anything but a OC position.

With the growth of offense in the NFL. The offensive people are getting there looks earlier and earlier. He is going on year 4 of having one of the best offenses in the nation. Hell, his loses as a HC in college, they avg like 38pts ago. Reily is only getting this much love because of Baker. It’s an idea situation for Baker and him. A very easy transition for both

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

I like Riley, but after watching the Nick Saban fiasco I dont know if he would want to leave Oaklahoma or be overly successful in the NFL. He has only been a HC in college football for 1.5 years, its not like he has built some monster of a program for the past decade and might be considering different options.  If we wanted to go that route, the biggest mistake the Browns ever made was letting Kyle Shannahan walk out that door 4 years ago.

Idk you look at Carroll and Saban. One is the poster boy for being a players coach and the other is the poster boy for dictator of a coach. The style of putting fear into a player to motivate them is rarely successful, specially in today’s league. Only coach who can pull it off is BB. It’s funny the coaches who have tried to recreate that have been coaches from his trees. It works for nick at Bama cause the players know, that if you don’t follow suit the kid right behind you is just as good and will take your spot. The college coaches usually fall because they try and set flex to show who’s in charge like Saban did in Miami or they ask for too much control and get overwhelmed Like Butch and Kelly.  Butch killed himself by drafting guys he recruits or coached against. The one time he doesn’t we pass on Portis. Kelly has some succesful offense but the dude couldn’t put together a defense to save his life. Also you look st McDaniels with Denver, he tried to Be BB of the west and it didn’t workout.  Three things give me hope about Riley, he is a players coach. The way he interacts with his players reminds me of Carrol at USC. He is an offensive guru. He gains instant credibility because Baker. 

If they finally plunge in and get a coach, it be the most confidence I have had in HC search. I think Dorsey Highsmith and Wolfe would be the trio who could get it done. 

8 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Idk you look at Carroll and Saban. One is the poster boy for being a players coach and the other is the poster boy for dictator of a coach. The style of putting fear into a player to motivate them is rarely successful, specially in today’s league. Only coach who can pull it off is BB. It’s funny the coaches who have tried to recreate that have been coaches from his trees. It works for nick at Bama cause the players know, that if you don’t follow suit the kid right behind you is just as good and will take your spot. The college coaches usually fall because they try and set flex to show who’s in charge like Saban did in Miami or they ask for too much control and get overwhelmed Like Butch and Kelly.  Butch killed himself by drafting guys he recruits or coached against. The one time he doesn’t we pass on Portis. Kelly has some succesful offense but the dude couldn’t put together a defense to save his life. Also you look st McDaniels with Denver, he tried to Be BB of the west and it didn’t workout.  Three things give me hope about Riley, he is a players coach. The way he interacts with his players reminds me of Carrol at USC. He is an offensive guru. He gains instant credibility because Baker. 

If they finally plunge in and get a coach, it be the most confidence I have had in HC search. I think Dorsey Highsmith and Wolfe would be the trio who could get it done. 

I find it hard to believe that given Dorseys/Highsmith/Wolfs approach and style that they would actually prefer Hue Jackson. It also seems like a crapshoot. We have seen multiple HCs who were of the hardnose variety work out like Zimmer and ones that havent like Schiano and O'Brian. Then there is the players coach variety who dont work out like Hue, Vance Joseph and Wade Phillips but some that do like Reid, Peterson, McVay and Carroll.

I feel like at this point its just throwing darts to a certain extent. Similar to draft picks, find a guy--take him--hope hes the one

37 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I find it hard to believe that given Dorseys/Highsmith/Wolfs approach and style that they would actually prefer Hue Jackson. It also seems like a crapshoot. We have seen multiple HCs who were of the hardnose variety work out like Zimmer and ones that havent like Schiano and O'Brian. Then there is the players coach variety who dont work out like Hue, Vance Joseph and Wade Phillips but some that do like Reid, Peterson, McVay and Carroll.

I feel like at this point its just throwing darts to a certain extent. Similar to draft picks, find a guy--take him--hope hes the one

To me the biggest factor in a successful coach is a lack of ego when it comes to schemes and gameplans.

You have to be able to adapt and let others do their job.

Hue seems good about letting others do their thing, but Greggggg and Haley both seem somewhat rigid in their schemes.

You coach to the talent, no other way to do it.

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Hue seems good about letting others do their thing, but Greggggg and Haley both seem somewhat rigid in their schemes.

You coach to the talent, no other way to do it.

Huh?

Huey hasn't been rigid in his schemes?

Huey has coached to talent?

What is your drug du jour?

Archived