2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

In the scenario where an ILB is my BPA on day 1 or 2 I don't really care that Burks is on my roster I'm taking the best player. There's guys like GMo or Tony Brown that got limited chances and held their own that I'd give that chance to. Burks is how you end up with Allen Barbre or Kentrell Brice starting. He hasn't earned the right for us to pass on good players on his behalf. He can either beat the guy out or play good ST on his rookie deal.

I get what you're saying. Whatever helps make the team better is who we should be looking at. We don't really have time to **** around to wait and see.

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

In the scenario where an ILB is my BPA on day 1 or 2 I don't really care that Burks is on my roster I'm taking the best player. There's guys like GMo or Tony Brown that got limited chances and held their own that I'd give that chance to. Burks is how you end up with Allen Barbre or Kentrell Brice starting. He hasn't earned the right for us to pass on good players on his behalf. He can either beat the guy out or play good ST on his rookie deal.

Agree.

Alright. I've officially watched my first YouTube video high light reel of 2019 - of Mr. White.

Instinctive - fast - decisive in shooting gaps and can run guys down heading towards either sideline. He makes his move then fills that gap.

I wouldnt mind having that in the middle our defense one bit. Nope. Not at all.

22 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Agreed,

I'll also throw in, if you watch Oren Bruks' college tape, it will make you cringe. He had camp body tape with first round talent/character.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Gifted athletically, violent, smart, feel for the game. The good ones don't get blocked, they have the speed to beat the trash and make the sideline play and the IQ to sift through the trash and shoot the gaps between the tackles. You show me a LB that consistently needs to get off blocks, I'll show you a mediocre LB.

I see a guy who takes some false steps and in the NFL that is enough to get you blocked. It might work in college, but if you make one step in the wrong direction before diagnosing the play, you're toast. 

Not even hard to pass on this guy! 

2 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Jones has had more than his fair share of opportunities. I'm just thinking Burks deserves a longer leash since he got injured early in the season.

Jones started to show he was getting it at the end of the year. That does not mean we should pass up an obvious upgrade just because he's on the roster. I think he's going to find the field a lot next year. I think he'll be a solid player too. 

1 hour ago, pacman5252 said:

Agreed,

I'll also throw in, if you watch Oren Bruks' college tape, it will make you cringe. He had camp body tape with first round talent/character.

Yeah, I did not like the majority of what I saw from him. I recall him looking absolutely terrible in a few of his games. 

Lol at the comebacks in here.  You want a fast ILB who is really good?  No kidding.  So do I.  That's not what this debate is about.  The debate is about whether or not you want that ILB who is really good or an EDGE who is really good.

If you believe White is a Hall of Fame ILB, an all-pro, fringe HOF pass rusher even at Clay's prime level is still worth more.  

I don't hate the ILB position.  It's just not valuable compared to others, and I wish people  would see that.  

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This is the guy you want to spend the 12th overall pick on??? The 3rd best player on his own defense (if you really don't like Rashard Lawrence)?

Tell us more.  I'm outnumbered here.  Not even Ray is helping and he knows better.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This is the guy you want to spend the 12th overall pick on??? The 3rd best player on his own defense (if you really don't like Rashard Lawrence)?

So because Delprit is a top 5 pick in 2020 that makes White a worse prospect? Couldn't disagree more putting Greedy or Lawrence ahead of him. Greedy is frail and soft, ball skills are there but he's a total waste of a long CB. Would actually be a better prospect if he was smaller. Lawrence wouldn't even go round 1 if he left? 

I've never advocated for White at 12 @Outpost31 but I get a massive bust risk for Taylor, I don't think Wilkins is anything special, I don't love either Murphy or Williams at 12, trade down and sure they come into play. Then you have Polite and Burns who I won't go one way or the other on until they weigh in, and Sweat who I won't decide on until he does agility drills, cause he looks stiff as a board to me. That leaves me hoping Allen, Oliver, Bosa, Gary or Ferrell (who himself I don't love) fall, only Ferrell has a realistic shot. Hoping Taylor goes ahead of Jonah and bumps him to 12, I think he's Bulaga, plug and play at either OG or RT for 10 years. Other than that, if the rushers don't check out at the Combine, I sure as hell wouldn't be mad about White, these ILB's that go high don't bust often, Roquan, Edmunds and LVE all will be studs, Darron Lee is a stud, Shazier, Mosley, studs, Kuechly, Hightower...McClain, Foster and Curry are the only 3 that were true ILB's that busted hard. All 3 almost a decade ago now. Because of the lack of positional importance when these ILB's get graded high and go high, they're plug and play high level talents, if that's the direction Gute went, I wouldn't mind.

I'm starting to think DK Metcalf will be a nice value at 12,  a bigger Andre Johnson, yes please......

So lets mock the worse scenario for you guys.

1) Arizona: Bosa

2) SF: Q.Williams

3) Jets: Allen

4) Raiders: Ferrell

5) Bucs: J.Williams

6) Giants: Haskins

7) Jags: Oliver

8) Lions: Polite

9) Bills: Gary

10) Denver: G.Williams

11) Bengals: Sweat

12) X  = Metcalf, Hockenson, White, Burns, Little, Baker or Murphy

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

So because Delprit is a top 5 pick in 2020 that makes White a worse prospect? Couldn't disagree more putting Greedy or Lawrence ahead of him. Greedy is frail and soft, ball skills are there but he's a total waste of a long CB. Would actually be a better prospect if he was smaller. Lawrence wouldn't even go round 1 if he left? 

I've never advocated for White at 12 @Outpost31 but I get a massive bust risk for Taylor, I don't think Wilkins is anything special, I don't love either Murphy or Williams at 12, trade down and sure they come into play. Then you have Polite and Burns who I won't go one way or the other on until they weigh in, and Sweat who I won't decide on until he does agility drills, cause he looks stiff as a board to me. That leaves me hoping Allen, Oliver, Bosa, Gary or Ferrell (who himself I don't love) fall, only Ferrell has a realistic shot. Hoping Taylor goes ahead of Jonah and bumps him to 12, I think he's Bulaga, plug and play at either OG or RT for 10 years. Other than that, if the rushers don't check out at the Combine, I sure as hell wouldn't be mad about White, these ILB's that go high don't bust often, Roquan, Edmunds and LVE all will be studs, Darron Lee is a stud, Shazier, Mosley, studs, Kuechly, Hightower...McClain, Foster and Curry are the only 3 that were true ILB's that busted hard. All 3 almost a decade ago now. Because of the lack of positional importance when these ILB's get graded high and go high, they're plug and play high level talents, if that's the direction Gute went, I wouldn't mind.

The ILBs aren't busting because they're going to teams with really good DLine guys in front of them. 

They're also not busting because once you've dropped those resources on that guy, it doesn't make sense to spend even more on a minor upgrade. 

Archived