2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

19 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Quite a bit of money.  $8.3M to be precise.  But that creates another hole.

Well that lends to what I was thinking. I'm usually the last guy to say "cut him" but I think this is one time I would.

Daniels really doesn't fit, isn't getting another deal, and is approaching an age where injuries become more common. With our cap tight and maybe even tighter than expected, I'm leaning DL at #12 and cutting Daniels loose. It just screams value across all bases. I'd rather try to replace him at #12 than wait a year and have to replace him at #22 or so. It's another "Jordy" move. If Gute wants to play it safe - he can let Daniels play it out, but we need DL regardless. It ain't sexy but it might be the right move

Just now, vegas492 said:

While I want to stockpile talent for the future and develop them, I'd do that deal.  Our first and our second for a blue chipper at EDGE?  Yah, I'd do that.  I'd also do it for Bosa or Q.

I see where the Giants don't have a third rounder.  Maybe they want as much draft capital as they can get to rebuild that thing.

If they even think they're rebuilding. I heard a VERY tone deaf Dave Gettleman on Sportscenter last night and he seems as if he is grasping for straws, yet doesn't want to admit that he's rebuilding. We could probably grab draft capital FROM them rather than give it to them...

1 minute ago, Joe said:

If they even think they're rebuilding. I heard a VERY tone deaf Dave Gettleman on Sportscenter last night and he seems as if he is grasping for straws, yet doesn't want to admit that he's rebuilding. We could probably grab draft capital FROM them rather than give it to them...

Didnt Gettleman come from Carolina? Did he build the Panther SB roster?

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

Point values for #12 and #44 were eerily similar to #6 overall...but that chart shouldn't really be relied upon.  

Still fun food for thought.

And most every year I thought GB should trade down and trade around rounds 2 and 3 to acquire talent.  I often thought those rounds provided great value.  But the fact is... like the first round, it is littered with landmines. 

That's why if you can snag a blue chipper, like Q, Bosa or Allen, I'm doing that deal.  Hopefully this is the last time GB in a long time where GB is close enough to top to get that deal done.

8 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

Again, Pettine does NOT value as highly the edge. He just doesn't need it. Wouldn't be surprised if he has Bush ranked over Burns.

I think you're reading too much into how much say Pettine actually gets in the decision making.  Depending on how close the the FO wants the decision making be, it might just be Gute, LaFleur, and a couple of FO personnel plus Murphy.  If Pettine is indeed in the room, you're probably going to get maybe a quick confirmation of whether or not you're on board with the player.  Pre-draft, you're going to go through your evaluation process that's when Pettine gets the most say which can take a player off the board if he doesn't think the player can exist in the scheme or if he doesn't think that he can develop that player correctly.  If Pettine doesn't believe the player is going to work out in Green Bay, they're most likely off the board.  Gute is the one making those decisions.

29 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We haven't done it since Ted took over, but you think we're going to do it twice?  Can I get odds on that?

We traded our 2nd and a lot of other capital to move up into the 1st for Clay in the first year of Dom's system. We traded up after trading down in the first last year. When haven't we done what? Gute in a recent interview stated that we tried to trade up last year and the free agent acquisitions this year give us freedom to move in the draft. That makes me believe we value quality over quantity.

Sure we can bet if you'd like. Obviously trading up both picks is a long shot.

I mean the thing about Edges is that, like QBs, if you are not getting one high you are probably not getting one worth a darn.  If this is the highest the Packers are picking for the rest of Rodgers' career (as we all hope it will be) then this is the time to get the edge rusher, since you can find WRs, tight ends, OL, ILBs, etc. who are difference makers later in the draft.

NFLdotCom MD - has GB going for linemen.

12 - Christian Wilkins - DT - As injuries mounted last season, defensive coordinator Mike Pettine had to do a lot of mixing and matching along the DL. Wilkins' size and versatility make him a good running mate for Kenny Clark and Mike Daniels. 

30 - Dalton Risner - OT - The versatle O-lineman (Risner played center, guard and tackle at K-State) could easily be the heir apparent to OT Bryan Bulaga. 

1. Kyler Murray - QB
2. Nick Bosa - Edge
3. Quinnen Williams - DT
4. Josh Allen - Edge
5. Montez Sweat - Edge
6. Dwayne Haskins - QB
7. Noah Fant - TE
8. Rashan Gary - Edge
9. Jawaan Taylor - OT
10. Devin White - LB
11. Devin Bush - LB
13. Drew Lock - QB
14. Ed Oliver - DT
15. Jonah Williams - OT
16. Clelin Ferrell - Edge
17. Andre Dillard - OT
18. T.J. Hockenson - TE
19. Brian Burns - Edge
20. Marquise Brown - WR
21. Jeffery Simmons - DT
22. Parris Campbell - WR
23. Cody Ford - OT
24. Josh Jacobs - RB
25. Deandre Baker - CB
26. D.K. Metcalf - WR
27. Byron Murphy - CB
28. Taylor Rapp - S
29. Johnathan Abram - S
31. Garrett Bradbury - C
32. Irv Smith Jr. - TE

Observations -
Burns drops back.
Adderley and CGJ are nowhere to be found in the First Round.
(Hmmmm....not so sure 'bout this one.....but interesting)

30 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Well that lends to what I was thinking. I'm usually the last guy to say "cut him" but I think this is one time I would.

Daniels really doesn't fit, isn't getting another deal, and is approaching an age where injuries become more common. With our cap tight and maybe even tighter than expected, I'm leaning DL at #12 and cutting Daniels loose. It just screams value across all bases. I'd rather try to replace him at #12 than wait a year and have to replace him at #22 or so. It's another "Jordy" move. If Gute wants to play it safe - he can let Daniels play it out, but we need DL regardless. It ain't sexy but it might be the right move

I think you're better off getting production out of Daniels this year, opposed to releasing him.  By keeping him, you're not forced to draft a DL until the value presents itself, and this year can be used to get that draft pick up to speed, grooming him to replace Daniels.  In this scenario, if Daniels does walk next off season, you'll also get a comp pick for him in 2021.

If we're saving the $8.3M this year by cutting Daniels, are there players we're going to sign (Tre Boston, Wilkerson, etc.) that present enough of a return to make the move worthwhile?

1 hour ago, JaireAlex said:
1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

If we get to 6 and Josh Allen is there I'm making a call. Who is interested in 12 and 44 for Josh Allen?

No. I want more picks 25-75. We need a restock. This team lacks depth and doesn't even have a second starter at safety. Too many on this board are seeing "must have edge". I just don't see the high end talent here and certainly not a need anymore.

I see a very good draft for taking as many picks as possible 25-75. A lot of possible pro bowl players and starters. More picks are more shots. This draft is great for restocking. We could get 4-6 starters with a trade down or two.

This is laughably optimistic. If we trade down with Oakland, best case scenario, we have 24, 27, 30, 44. Then we turn those into another pick and nail all of them. Sounds great!

3 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

This is laughably optimistic. If we trade down with Oakland, best case scenario, we have 24, 27, 30, 44. Then we turn those into another pick and nail all of them. Sounds great!

100% draft hit rate? Sounds a lot like @Norm and what he tells people his success rate is in talking to females. xD

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm kinda hoping for Q Williams, Wilkins or Oliver with our first pick in the draft now.

Eventual Daniels replacement. Pair with Clark on his impending extension for the next 5 years.

I can't see it any other way, and I still hate drafting DL. And as I said earlier, you can save 8m by releasing Daniels and roll with some of the guys that got it done late last year. Fans won't like it cuz it ain't sexy. But I'm close to saying mark it down with a Sharpie

Archived