Is Alvin Kamara the best Running Back in the NFL?

SBLIII

4 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Do we give this thread another week before @ET80 or @tyler735 can provide a eulogy/closing remarks? Maybe we could light a candle.

I left this thread for dead back when I originally stated McCaffery was better than Kamara. 

Now, I'm just collecting that sweet interest.

• Like 3

As Sammy mentioned both Kamara and Barkley have been knicked up this season. McCaffrey has undoubtedly been the best RB this season, but if we look back just a season ago at the start of this thread. Guys like Gurley, Elliott, Barkley were also all being mentioned above McCaffrey. I won't be surprised if Kamara or Barkley come on strong next season if they remain healthy and enter the discussion again.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

WTF has happened to Kamara this year? I've only watched his decline from a fantasy perspective, but damn what in the world?

He's been injured for one thing.

The Saints offense just isn't the historically efficient powerhouse this year that it used to be.  Offense in general has cooled off for most of the year.

That being said, Kamara wasn't nearly as bad today as the stats indicate.  At least IMO.  A lot of his plays got sniffed out and blown up in the backfield, losing him yards.  The fumble was bad, but somewhat random, he doesn't have a fumbling problem.   

Or maybe, just maybe, the greatest lesson of this thread ought to be not to crown ANYONE as the "Best in Football" off a limited sample size (and yes, 2 seasons is a limited sample size for such an audacious claim unless they're literally blowing current records out of the water - not qualified-out-the-yin-yang, PFF "records") unless you're going to qualify the statement with a "(Insert Given Year)" timestamp.  The hallmark of true greatness is ability to sustain.  And sustenance isn't just one year, it's over an arc of many.

• Like 2