Nostalgic/Throwback games chat thread

TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

You're a Houston fan? Perhaps you took a little solace in the Music City Miracle 7 years later? Or did you detach yourself from the team since they were in Tennessee at that point? 

That team was dead to me. I was more of a Panthers and Vikings fan in those dark days...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RBreezy said:

A lot of nostalgia watching this lol. The Vet was such a dump. Hilarious to see McNabb throwing worm balls to the trash we had at receiver back then

Can’t dent that those Jim Johnson defenses were nasty though. The Eagles were legitimately the best team in the NFC for four to five years, good times 

James Thrash, Todd Pinkston, Freddie Mitchell. Horrible. 

• Like 1

I wish the NFL would just sell previous seasons on dvd/blu ray. I've found other methods of buying/downloading older games but still don't have every one I want. As this throwback stuff they've been doing has shown, they have all the tape and the ability to transfer it digitally.

• Like 2

On 04/10/2018 at 10:08 AM, PapaShogun said:

Yeah, that's the game. I'm still not sure if it was the right call. The Colts were driving down the Patriots throat in the second half, and it seemed like they couldn't stop them at all. So I could kind of see the rationale of Bill just thinking his defense didn't have it that night. So he was going to put the game in the hands of his offense. Just didn't pay off. 

I think he was scared of Peyton and/or concerned about our D. An average punt would have left Peyton Manning about 60 to 70 yards from the end zone, and with our D, it's far from insurmountable. He's thinking just 2 yards, and he can run the clock off. 

I wouldn't have done it, but he's got a good list of ballsy plays coming off.

Edited by Hunter2_1

2002 Week 13, Denver @ San Diego.  3 teams started the day at 7-4, and the Broncos and Chargers were 2 of them.   Clinton Portis had a great day with 159 yards rushing and a touchdown.   But LT had 220 yards and 3 touchdowns, and when you played the Chargers back in the day you better have been prepared to run with them step for step

Chargers won 30-27 in overtime in a game that each team had plenty of chances to win.  Running back battle for the ages and a classic game

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:08 AM, PapaShogun said:

Yeah, that's the game. I'm still not sure if it was the right call. The Colts were driving down the Patriots throat in the second half, and it seemed like they couldn't stop them at all. So I could kind of see the rationale of Bill just thinking his defense didn't have it that night. So he was going to put the game in the hands of his offense. Just didn't pay off. 

Belichik knew that if Manning got the ball back the game was over, regardless of where he was on the field. Going for it on 4th down was the only way the Patriots were gonna win that one.

8 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

It's so weird watching games where all the receivers minus a select few wear numbers in the 80s, the QBs didn't always throw from shotgun, and the defenses could actually hit somebody.

Dude, football used to be so awesome back in the day. What happened???

Players injuries got addressed by new rules to protect them. I can't fault the league for that, but how they went about some of the rules I don't agree with. The game was much different and better for the fans, but the players paid a hefty price.

As for nostalgia, I used to look forward to the Steelers  vs Ravens games. Then I saw a 2018 game last week and it was a snoozer for me.  The game has changed, and when your team has a terrible D it makes it almost unwatchable . I have seen some games have some good hitting and blocking at times,  but the game has changed and the old way isn't returning accept for some playoff games. 

• Like 3