Is it too early to focus on the 19 draft?

Doc Draper

With Keenum or Colt we will probably hover around .500. With a little luck, a game or two higher. They aren't horrible QBs, they're just not superstars. If we want a top QB its going to cost draft picks, either this year or next. Even if we finished 5-11 were looking at picking 7th or 8th in the draft. Still going to cost a couple 1's and at least a 2 to get up there. Still some holes and not enough depth on the team to give those assets away next season.

The plan should be so simple, draft BPA and keep building. If a qb fits your system and has good attributes, take him. If not draft another position of need and take a guy you can develop later.

Alot of people look at the Browns and say let's do that, but there sure was alot of trial and error on the way to get where they are now. And I will point out it all looks good on paper but to date they really haven't done jack squat.

Tanking takes away from the integrity of the game. Should never be okay to purposely go into a season with that mindset. If and only if during the coarse of a season things go south you play your young guys and develop them when winning truly is less important than the development. Then you focus on getting a higher pick. You don't do that in April before the season ever started.

26 minutes ago, Bo Duke said:

With Keenum or Colt we will probably hover around .500. With a little luck, a game or two higher. They aren't horrible QBs, they're just not superstars. If we want a top QB its going to cost draft picks, either this year or next. Even if we finished 5-11 were looking at picking 7th or 8th in the draft. Still going to cost a couple 1's and at least a 2 to get up there. Still some holes and not enough depth on the team to give those assets away next season.

The plan should be so simple, draft BPA and keep building. If a qb fits your system and has good attributes, take him. If not draft another position of need and take a guy you can develop later.

Alot of people look at the Browns and say let's do that, but there sure was alot of trial and error on the way to get where they are now. And I will point out it all looks good on paper but to date they really haven't done jack squat.

Tanking takes away from the integrity of the game. Should never be okay to purposely go into a season with that mindset. If and only if during the coarse of a season things go south you play your young guys and develop them when winning truly is less important than the development. Then you focus on getting a higher pick. You don't do that in April before the season ever started.

I disagree 100% with your last paragraph.  There’s nothing wrong with tanking to get better, it’s a perfectly viable strategy, and frankly long overdo for this franchise.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

That doesn’t mean we should settle for this mediocre crop of QBs this year.

Nobody knows if they’re mediocre though. Haskins, Murray and Lock were pretty prolific albeit in Haskins and Murray’s case for a short period of time. They may suck but the same questions are going to start to surround next years crop because this seemingly happens every year “next years class is better”. 

33 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Nobody knows if they’re mediocre though. Haskins, Murray and Lock were pretty prolific albeit in Haskins and Murray’s case for a short period of time. They may suck but the same questions are going to start to surround next years crop because this seemingly happens every year “next years class is better”. 

Locks completion % was horrfic, Haskins started one season, Murray is tiny.

20 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Locks completion percentage has risen every year that he’s started. His last year it sat at 62% which is far from horrific. Haskins started one season but it was a damn good one and everyone knows how I feel about Murray. 

Look, I’m not saying these guys are guaranteed slam dunks and at the end of the day Knight, you could be 100% correct that they won’t be any good. I just happen to disagree. 

They aren't going to tank. Our strategy for them to get better is different for sure. I  don't care how they get better just as long as they do it. Just need the luck to change a little, it has too sooner or later 

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Run support is the obvious one. I think he gambles too much and I think he can get caught eyeing the QB too much. He’s an awesome athlete but I do think his negatives will be highlighted in the NFL when he’s facing QBs who can look-off defenders with ease as opposed to college QBs. I think he’s going to get picked on a lot and it could hurt his confidence early. This is just based on things I’ve seen since watching him but @PARROTHEADwould be a much better source and maybe he can alleviate some of my fears. 

But with that said, I think this is why his stock has been dropping. 

I think if you play him to be 1 on 1 with any teams no.1 receiver. He can help make it a 10 on 10 game and take that player away. Only a 2 year starter, he has some things to learn, some strength to gain. But he locked down top receivers and took them out as an option for teams.

Playing him other ways might show some blemishes in his game. You pick him, you glue him to the opposing teams best weapon and forget about it. Work on the other areas. Thats where his talent is going to shine, in the freedom it allows the rest of the team to perform at.

Like if we were playing Atlanta. Id stick him solo on Jones and would run the rest of the defense freely. Without worrying about how to send help towards Jones. Unless Greedy showed he couldnt manage it alone. But early in the game, Yeah Id be daring Ryan to test him out. Cause a ball just a hair off could prove a turnover in a heartbeat.

Just a thought. I know RB isn’t a big need for us but insurance wise for Guice and Thompson injury factor. I’m not sure where he will go in the draft but I really would like us to draft Miles Sanders/Penn St. He didn’t get much playing time due to Saquon. He looks good and very shifty in making people miss. 

2 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Just a thought. I know RB isn’t a big need for us but insurance wise for Guice and Thompson injury factor. I’m not sure where he will go in the draft but I really would like us to draft Miles Sanders/Penn St. He didn’t get much playing time due to Saquon. He looks good and very shifty in making people miss. 

What round do you think he'll go? 

15 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

And Mahomes is a giant Question, Watson is a product of the system Trubisky is just a one year starter. Peyton isn’t Ryan leaf. Like every year this is what they do except 2012. And to the next year is better!!!! I remeber the next year is Brian Brohm or the Jimmy Clausen will be the top pick or the Jake Locker is gonna year the NCAA up to a sure fire #1 overall selection. Truth is Tua could come out and not even be the starter by the national title game. Fromm could just essentially start getting compared to Rosen where every year there’s production but just never shines as bright as the freshman year and personally I had Herbert behind Haskins and Murray coming into this draft anyways.

the Watson Mahomes draft they picked and picked and picked all of them apart and year two had 3 of them in the playoffs and 2 teams were top 2 seeds. 2012 was the cant miss year and only Luck in RD 1 panned out and Wilson has been the best round 3 with Kirk being good. I don’t think this is a mediocre class at all. I don’t like Daniel Jones but I could be wrong. I think Lock is a Bronco already and I think there is a really really good shot Haskins falls either too us or a few picks from us where we decide hey we didn’t think this would happen let’s go get him. 

11 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I def. want a R B in this draft ! Hopefully fairly high  . Rd 3 maybe .

What, why? We have 4 or 5 RBs that deserve a spot on the roster right now. 

I can support a Thompson like RB taken in the late rounds but I don’t know that whomever we would take would be an upgrade over Guice and Byron Marshall - should he make the team - in that role.

Archived