Relationship Advice Thread

scar988

17 hours ago, ET80 said:

Allow me to offer a counter argument:

My wife and I have different views on sports. She used to hate them with a passion (used to be due to unresolved abandonment issues with her dad - which I fixed, because I'm effing AWESOME) but now, she's kinda into it. She'll watch Astros games with me, watched a bunch of Texans games with me, we went to a few bowl games together (I used to get tickets to the Advocare Texas Bowl pretty frequently) and she watches the Rockets simply to talk trash to her extended family in San Antonio (some issues can't be resolved, no matter how effing AWESOME I am. Aunt Timofina is a B anyways).

While she's into it now, it's still nowhere near where I'm at as a fan. And that's a good thing, because...sports is my ME time. It's time where I can meet up some buddies, get a beer, maybe eat some nachos and a pulled pork sandwich with slaw, smoke a cigarette if I'm ever so inclined to do so (haven't smoked one in two years, but I could if I wanted) and just detatch myself from the responsibilities of being a husband, father, head of household, bread winner, etc. 

That's an important part of any relationship - you time. Sports is a natural way to get that. My wife will usually go visit her mom, or drop the kids off with my mom so she can go paint (which is HER "me" time - it goes both ways).

My wife could name all 53 of the Saints active roster at one time. I never did anything of the things you’re apparently telling me a husband should do, she just cared about them cause I did...

i also have a garage for me time whenever I want it. 

Sounds like the issue is the kid tbh you can apparently get away with not being awesome if you don’t have them and everything still works out! Yahoo!

Edited by Dome

23 hours ago, ET80 said:

Allow me to offer a counter argument:

My wife and I have different views on sports. She used to hate them with a passion (used to be due to unresolved abandonment issues with her dad - which I fixed, because I'm effing AWESOME) but now, she's kinda into it. She'll watch Astros games with me, watched a bunch of Texans games with me, we went to a few bowl games together (I used to get tickets to the Advocare Texas Bowl pretty frequently) and she watches the Rockets simply to talk trash to her extended family in San Antonio (some issues can't be resolved, no matter how effing AWESOME I am. Aunt Timofina is a B anyways).

While she's into it now, it's still nowhere near where I'm at as a fan. And that's a good thing, because...sports is my ME time. It's time where I can meet up some buddies, get a beer, maybe eat some nachos and a pulled pork sandwich with slaw, smoke a cigarette if I'm ever so inclined to do so (haven't smoked one in two years, but I could if I wanted) and just detatch myself from the responsibilities of being a husband, father, head of household, bread winner, etc. 

That's an important part of any relationship - you time. Sports is a natural way to get that. My wife will usually go visit her mom, or drop the kids off with my mom so she can go paint (which is HER "me" time - it goes both ways).

@ramssuperbowl99 and @LETSGOBROWNIES, ET just can't let it go. Nachos and Pulled Pork w/slaw in the same sentence while integrating it into casual conversation. My food threads have majorly scarred him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MWil23 said:

@ramssuperbowl99 and @LETSGOBROWNIES, ET just can't let it go. Nachos and Pulled Pork w/slaw in the same sentence while integrating it into casual conversation. My food threads have majorly scarred him.

Wait till we get to cocktails, desserts, dips....

Friendships will be lost, forums fractured.

The whole site may collapse tbh.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 5:33 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Wait till we get to cocktails, desserts, dips....

Friendships will be lost, forums fractured.

The whole site may collapse tbh.

I actually went out and bought some brass knuckles in preparation 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I hope we agree on things then.

Id hate to have to beat you to death with your own brass knuckles.

You're assuming I haven't found away to KO myself before you get there. 

I have a very particular set of skills

• Like 4

If sports fandom has any part in your criteria for potential spawning, you should consider altering your criteria. 

When I met my wife, she was a casual Steelers fan but didn’t really care about sports and didn’t watch much CFB. I convinced her to be a casual Browns fan, but she still doesn’t really care too much. We’re going to a game this year, and she’s going for the experience and won’t care about the outcome except 1. My mood from it 2. The temperature. I did manage to get her excited about OSU FB. If she didn’t care or was a fan of someone else though, it’s whatever. 

At the end of the day, her fandom would have zero affect on the food she makes me, our values or connection, and whether or not she allows me to mate with her.  She cooks, cleans, helps raise our boys, etc. If I see a 3 minute video online of a cool looking dessert that takes 3 hours for her to make while I watch a game she cares nothing about, she makes it. She’s awesome. 

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, NateDawg said:

If sports fandom has any part in your criteria for potential spawning, you should consider altering your criteria. 

When I met my wife, she was a casual Steelers fan but didn’t really care about sports and didn’t watch much CFB. I convinced her to be a casual Browns fan, but she still doesn’t really care too much. We’re going to a game this year, and she’s going for the experience and won’t care about the outcome except 1. My mood from it 2. The temperature. I did manage to get her excited about OSU FB. If she didn’t care or was a fan of someone else though, it’s whatever. 

At the end of the day, her fandom would have zero affect on the food she makes me, our values or connection, and whether or not she allows me to mate with her.  She cooks, cleans, helps raise our boys, etc. If I see a 3 minute video online of a cool looking dessert that takes 3 hours for her to make while I watch a game she cares nothing about, she makes it. She’s awesome. 

Can confirm. @NateDawg obviously married up...but then again, he'd say the same about me and my wife. She was a casual Lions and Michigan State fan, and now she loves casually watching OSU games with me and our kids, and for some reason, is actually always optimistic about the Browns and all things Cleveland sports...and she used to be a Tigers fan. Even if she was still a fan of those aforementioned teams, it would have zero bearing on our actual relationship, as long as I get to watch those games and am not roped into something ridiculous like apple orchard picking on a Saturday/Sunday, going to an overpriced fusion restaurant with her friends during a prime time game, etc.

• Like 1

the only sport I watch atm is the NFL, my wife doesn't care and I prefer it that way, 

We are having one issue though, the room I watch sports in is also the guest room and we have one of her guests staying. the Browns start at 6-7am on a Monday here. boy it annoys me. 

15 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

the only sport I watch atm is the NFL, my wife doesn't care and I prefer it that way, 

We are having one issue though, the room I watch sports in is also the guest room and we have one of her guests staying. the Browns start at 6-7am on a Monday here. boy it annoys me. 

I'm pretty sure that you're allowed to watch football in another room in the house.