Relationship Advice Thread

scar988

On 8/28/2018 at 10:44 PM, vikesfan89 said:

So another girl's been messaging me online. I don't see it going anywhere because she's a packer fan, but man she gives me nothing to work with. A few word answers and does very little to extend the conversation. Seems like a big football fan so I figured that would help but nope

Girls like this I usually give about a week and if they can't hold a conversation for the life of them I ended it before even going on a a first date

On 8/30/2018 at 12:11 PM, Jimmy Austin said:

Is it wrong if I only want to date girls who like the same football team as me? 

I mean I would rather have someone to cheer with than someone who will cheer against me. 

Creates an interesting dynamic. Kinda dumb reason to deny someone imo

• Like 3

On 9/16/2018 at 9:07 PM, Fresh Prince said:

Girls like this I usually give about a week and if they can't hold a conversation for the life of them I ended it before even going on a a first date

She's gotten better at keeping the conversation and we trash talked about the Vikings/Packers game a bit 

Finally went on a date with the first girl. I think it went ok, I just wish I wasn't so ackward

On 8/30/2018 at 12:11 PM, Jimmy Austin said:

Is it wrong if I only want to date girls who like the same football team as me? 

I mean I would rather have someone to cheer with than someone who will cheer against me. 

There is a difference between not rooting for your team and rooting against your team. My wife wasn't a Jaguars fan before I met her and I wasn't an Auburn fan before I met her. Wasn't a deal breaker and now we actually root for each other but even if she was a Packers fan and I a non-SEC team, there wouldn't be any "rooting against". Staying neutral is much different than being negative

Anyone in here have any experience starting a long-distance relationship. I'm really into this girl that I met but the only issue is that she lives 4 hours away. I'm willing to put in the time, I'm just curious of other experiences with this type of relationship and how to keep it goes and fresh when you don't see each other every week.

6 minutes ago, Saosin said:

Anyone in here have any experience starting a long-distance relationship. I'm really into this girl that I met but the only issue is that she lives 4 hours away. I'm willing to put in the time, I'm just curious of other experiences with this type of relationship and how to keep it goes and fresh when you don't see each other every week.

I had a string of long distance relationships for a while - I live in Houston and ended up with ladies in NY, then Chicago, then another girl in NY.

Not gonna lie, it's not easy. I couldn't do it, but that was more of a flaw on me instead of them. Arguments get amplified because you can't really have a true discussion on what's going on face to face and work it out. Infidelity is a true issue (I cheated on one). Trust issues will crop up at times, even if you keep it in your pants.

On the plus side, your F2F interactions are going to be really strong when you ARE together. Absence does make the heart grow fonder. You're also living in a time with social media, so you're going to have a ton of communication options (my experience was when Facebook was just getting started).

If you're the type who can keep an even temperament it could work out. Four hours isn't bad at all, so don't let my experience tell you to not do it.

14 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I had a string of long distance relationships for a while - I live in Houston and ended up with ladies in NY, then Chicago, then another girl in NY.

Not gonna lie, it's not easy. I couldn't do it, but that was more of a flaw on me instead of them. Arguments get amplified because you can't really have a true discussion on what's going on face to face and work it out. Infidelity is a true issue (I cheated on one). Trust issues will crop up at times, even if you keep it in your pants.

On the plus side, your F2F interactions are going to be really strong when you ARE together. Absence does make the heart grow fonder. You're also living in a time with social media, so you're going to have a ton of communication options (my experience was when Facebook was just getting started).

If you're the type who can keep an even temperament it could work out. Four hours isn't bad at all, so don't let my experience tell you to not do it.

The nice thing about today is that F2F interaction can happen over facetime or video chat. Not as nice as in person but it helps with daily interaction.

The infidelity thing is one thing I worry about. I've never cheated on anyone so I'm not worried about me but the whole trust issue thing is good to hear about from another perspective.

My biggest issue is future stuff but I just keep telling myself that I'll cross that bridge if it happens. Thanks for the perspective!

8 hours ago, Saosin said:

if it feels good, pursue it.

simple as that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ET80 said:

ET couldn't keep it in his pants?  I mean, how could you? That glowing finger was meant to be shared with the ladies.

• Like 1