If McCarthy and Harbaugh get fired, what next for them?

patriotsheatyan

43 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It's not that it's trash, it's just that Harbaugh isn't the guy developing/drafting the talent there. Clarence Brooks (RIP) was the guy doing the DL, and our OL has never been good except 2014 when Kubiak was here.

Harbaugh has good connections though. I feel like he could bring in quality assistants but then again he hired Trestman to run his O. So that worries me

Just now, indifference said:

Harbaugh has good connections though. I feel like he could bring in quality assistants but then again he hired Trestman to run his O. So that worries me

Harbaugh has been god awful at hiring assistants and coordinators. Not only did he hire Trestman, but this is what he said at the intro presser for Trestman:

“The main thing is the fact that he’s such a good fit for us going forward -- his experience level, his background,” Harbaugh said. “We want to build off [last year]. … I don’t know what he was known as, but we have a way we want to play and we have a system in place. Marc understands that. I understand what kind of offense we’re going to be going forward.”

The context here is that Trestman was picked as the successor to Kubiak's 2014 very successful offense, which was built on the zone run and play action. Trestman immediately came in and we threw the ball more than any other team in 2015 and it was a giant gong show.

I think Harbaugh would be a great fit for Tampa, particularly if he could convince Moncken to stay around to run the offense (left to his own devices, Harbaugh would probably hire a retread's retread to run the offense though). But that organization in general seems like it badly needs a culture reset and an injection of professionalism to move on from the Winston years and that's where Harbaugh will be really useful - I don't think he's the guy to get a team over the top, particularly in today's NFL, but he's absolutely one of the coaches I'd be looking at if I'm a team that just needs to go from bad to passably mediocre before taking that next step. He's a rich man's John Fox in that regard, honestly - he's going to help clean up the mess and set the team up pretty well, but you probably then need to move on from him in order to keep growing. 

7 hours ago, DawgX said:

Do you think he'd be a good hire for us?

He'd be a bridge coach, but yes I'd see it as a good hire.  He's your HC for a few years, installs a strong locker room and develops Mayfield.  And then in a few years, he gets replaced with someone better.  Unfortunately, it's kind of a down year for coaching candidates.  You've got John DeFilippo whose probably the top HC candidate this offseason.  You could gamble on Josh McDaniels, but there's probably enough of a bad taste with him this offseason that he'll remain in New England for another year.  James Bettcher, Matt LaFleur, and Robert Saleh are a few names getting thrown around.  But none are really as appealing as some of the names in the past: Kyle Shanahan, Matt Nagy, Adam Gase, etc.  We've even thrown college coaches like Chris Peterson, Lincoln Riley, etc.  At the end of the day, Cleveland has an appealing situation but the instability with the leadership of year's past is going to loom large.

McCarthy??  That's guy's had the closest thing you can get to a "I win" button with Rodgers.  If he can't coach a dominating team every season with that kind of talent he won't last anywhere else.  He's the type of fool's gold HC that a bad franchise would hire.

Harbaugh never has had that kind of QB and he's won alot of games without much help from Flacco.  That all said, Baltimore has a very good front office that's built two championship teams in the past 18 years.  

1 hour ago, blizofoz45 said:

McCarthy??  That's guy's had the closest thing you can get to a "I win" button with Rodgers.  If he can't coach a dominating team every season with that kind of talent he won't last anywhere else.  He's the type of fool's gold HC that a bad franchise would hire.

Harbaugh never has had that kind of QB and he's won alot of games without much help from Flacco.  That all said, Baltimore has a very good front office that's built two championship teams in the past 18 years.  

You can have an elite QB but if the rest of the roster is pedestrian at best you aren't gonna win much.  New Orleans struggled with Drew Brees under center for a couple of seasons before the team around him was rebuilt and now the Saints are winning again.

21 hours ago, lancerman said:

Prob the other way around. Harbaugh hasn't done much of anything since his Super Bowl. The Packers went to multiple NFCCG's and had years at the top of the NFC

Harbaugh has had way less to work with than McCarthy has. Harbaugh has had to deal with a middling QB on a contract that only an elite QB should have. The Ravens also had horribly injury ridden seasons in 2015 and 2016. McCarthy has had 2 HOF QB's since being hired by the Packers and only has only taken the Packers to the SB one time.

Also Harbuagh has had to play in the same division as the Steelers and Bengals and the same conference as the Pats and Broncos.The toughest competition that McCarthy has had to deal with is the Vikings in his own division and the Seahawks/49ers in his conference.

One has had way less of a desirable situation than the other, yet they both have 1 SB win and 3 Conference Championship game appearances as head coaches.

21 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

Harbaugh already got issued an ultimatum after last season's debacle against the Bengals that he needs to make the playoffs this year or he's fired.  There's no way they would let it continue after a 4th straight year of no playoffs

Has it really been that long since the Ravens haven't made the playoffs? Seems off to me

17 hours ago, Riftty said:

Has it really been that long since the Ravens haven't made the playoffs? Seems off to me

Yup, 2014 they were 10-6 and beat the Steelers in the wild card round.  I was actually stupid enough to pick them to go to the Super Bowl the year after

19 hours ago, Pugger said:

You can have an elite QB but if the rest of the roster is pedestrian at best you aren't gonna win much.  New Orleans struggled with Drew Brees under center for a couple of seasons before the team around him was rebuilt and now the Saints are winning again.

This is about all you can say with McCarthy. Everyone has forgotten that Sean Payton's Saints haven't been very good for a while, despite Brees being a HOF QB too. Payton has been head of the Saints as long as McCarthy has the Packers and has less to show for it. Both coaches have had HOF QBs during their entire head coaching tenure, excluding the two seasons where Rodgers missed a majority of the season for collarbone injuries. On the flipside, Brees has only missed one start as a Saint.

But no one is saying anything there because at the moment, the Saints are firing on all cylinders. 

McCarthy could get fired, yeah. But the past three drafts have turned out to be colossal busts, or some of that talent has been let go for whatever reason. 

The roster is depleted, and most other coaches would struggle to get significantly better results. 

17 minutes ago, Coffee & Contemplation said:

This is about all you can say with McCarthy. Everyone has forgotten that Sean Payton's Saints haven't been very good for a while, despite Brees being a HOF QB too. Payton has been head of the Saints as long as McCarthy has the Packers and has less to show for it. Both coaches have had HOF QBs during their entire head coaching tenure, excluding the two seasons where Rodgers missed a majority of the season for collarbone injuries. On the flipside, Brees has only missed one start as a Saint.

But no one is saying anything there because at the moment, the Saints are firing on all cylinders. 

McCarthy could get fired, yeah. But the past three drafts have turned out to be colossal busts, or some of that talent has been let go for whatever reason. 

The roster is depleted, and most other coaches would struggle to get significantly better results. 

Sean Payton was on the hot seat last year.  Then he had the best team hes probably ever had.  Now he has a team that's ready to win the superbowl, but if they didnt make the playoffs last year, he probably would have been fired.

Archived