2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

20 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Cobb will be cheaper moving forward. 

I've always liked Cobb. You wont get me to say anything bad about him. He was always a clutch performer. When the game was on the line or we faced a critical down - he never shied away from the ball. My only concern is the injuries - which clearly have taken their toll on his playing time and physical condition.

• Like 2

Cash spending vs Cap space article from OverTheCap

https://overthecap.com/projecting-2019-spending-in-the-nfl/

The salary cap is just an accounting tool, so he set out to determine how much cash teams actually have to spend and what % of the cap they've historically spent in the previous 4 seasons. ( Packers averaged 104 % of the cap spent) He also looks at the variance, some teams are consistent while others have big swings

The Packers are in a different situation because there's been both a regime change and a philosophy change that falls during that 4 year period
The Packers also just signed the richest deal in NFL history, so that plays a role too

Author Jason Fitzgerald pulls out a couple of team examples to show that cap space does not equal how much cash they are likley to spend this offseason.
All of this impacts who is available either as FAs, cuts or trades and some teams are in a bit of a squeeze

3 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I keep reading Lang is going to get cut in Det. I know he's been hurt but didn't get a chance to watch him much this year.Is he done or could he be a one year rental at OG?

I'd actually feel a little bad trying to put him through an NFL season with his ankles and concussions. Dude needs to hang it up.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

This is how I feel about Sam Shields

The only thing I ll day about Sam is he did go and get plenty of help. His Dr has signed off on him resuming his career. Not saying I’d agree but he just didn’t take time off he went to worked to fix his issues. 

54 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

This is how I feel about Sam Shields

Sam I Am said his life long goal was to play 10 years in the NFL and that's still his target ( he's got 8 seasons so far)
If you watched him play last season, he was clearly coming from the Deion Sanders School of clean-jersey football, more of a Matador than a combatant

But you couldn't ask for a better CB4 and ST guy

I think the Packers need to bowl Earl Thomas over with an offer he can't refuse on the first day of free agency.  We need an impact free safety in a bad way.  Tyrann Mathieu would be my second choice because of this excellent versatility.  If we fail to come away from free agency without a quality safety Gute gets an F for the offseason.  Same could be said for edge rushers, but I think that might be more a draft target.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think the Packers need to bowl Earl Thomas over with an offer he can't refuse on the first day of free agency.  We need an impact free safety in a bad way.  Tyrann Mathieu would be my second choice because of this excellent versatility.  If we fail to come away from free agency without a quality safety Gute gets an F for the offseason.  Same could be said for edge rushers, but I think that might be more a draft target.

Rumours last year is that Mathieu isn't interested in playing north of a certain line.... putting us and a lot of teams out of consideration. To be seen if that is still true

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Despite anything else that might happen he'd still get an F?

4 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Rumours last year is that Mathieu isn't interested in playing north of a certain line.... putting us and a lot of teams out of consideration. To be seen if that is still true

I think there's been rumblings about mutual interest in returning to Houston.

5 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm not gonna give him an F on an offseason simply because he doesnt address a position of need in 1 part of a 2 part offseason. That sounds like premarure grading to me.

• Like 1