Call your shot: Veteran Cuts Edition

AlexGreen#20

3 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Add a high quality free agent (or 2) and it's not the best use of 8.5 million.  Young Adams though hasn't shown squat when counted on and don't expect anything from him.  

Adams is my biggest disappointment this year. He got rave reviews during camp how he was rag dolling guys, he just seemed to not have the conditioning and stanima to make an impact this year.

32 minutes ago, Norm said:

Someone would trade for Daniels right?

potentially.  29 year old DT that is coming off an injury and less production than previous seasons that is due $7.6M.  Not sure I would be wanting to trade for that if I am another team.

Only cut i would definitely make is crosby. I could get comfortable cutting tramon if i knew we could get ET. All other positions i wouldnt want to lose for various reasons. Perry i think can still be productive if healthy. Graham needs another year and reps. Bulaga is still good. Daniels is the toughest one for me. He is the player i like the most and think he has good years left if playing in the right fit. Hoping we can find a way to keep him productive.

Cut Nick Perry - The guy can only remain somewhat healthy and productive in contract years. Invisible otherwise.

Retain Jimmy Graham - Numbers will only improve with more reps and it's too prohibitive to cut him now anyway. Groom an heir.

Retain Bryan Bulaga - Tough one, he obviously isn't ascending anymore but he still remains one of the best RT in football when healthy. Groom an heir.

Retain Mike Daniels - Off year and injured. I believe he comes back next year ready to dominate.

Cut Tramon Williams - Love the guy but I'm envisioning too much secondary talent to keep him around. Obviously only gets cut if Gute upgrades the position.

Retain Mason Crosby - Has off years occasionally but is generally reliable. Time to look for competition however.

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

This scares the **** out of me. No way you can cut Bulaga without having a better option than Spriggs, like a 1st round pick at a mimimum. 

I get the feeling. It’s a little overreaction though. Few things;

1. You can’t have first rounders everywhere

2. Bulaga has played 16 games 2 times in 8 seasons and is only getting older

3. Spriggs isn’t terrible. Graded out as tackle 52 on pff (so startable). He has average starter potential still. He is also just turning 25 this year and just getting into the final year of his deal. From a long term standpoint why not try the asset out you have (hedge a bit with a 3rd round pick)? Waiting  a year means absolutely burning a 1 in a OT next year as we’d be  pissing Spriggs off and not giving him a shot (enough for him not to consider resigning) while Bulaga retires

I’d likd Bulaga to stay on the team still, but I’d understand the move, Kinda like with Lane Taylor, if you have a younger cheaper guy who can play,  and a vet (although better) with less years to go, you can argue going young. They asked Bulaga  to  takecut before last season and considered cutting him. I’d expect similar discussion. 

2 hours ago, coachbuns said:

King has been hurt and out of as many games as he has played.  Hard to fathom him as a starter if he's a pine martin on the bench with frickin injuries.  He can only be a starter if he is on the field. Here's hoping next year is better for him but I'm not holding my breath.

It depends, just everytime hes come back from injury he was still the starter this year. I dont see an upgrade unless Breeland or Jackson leap him. I think hes our boundary guy unless we just part ways.

Everybodoy's in love with what Fackrell has done this year, but Spriggs deserves a fair amoount of credit. Man's not overstepping anymore. When he's losing, he's losing on his hands work, and that will get better with reps. I wouldn't be excited about Spriggs starting next year, but I wouldn't be dreading it either. 

10 hours ago, cannondale said:

Spriggs' contract is up after next year. Add in the Bulaga situation, and there is no way to you can keep talking yourself into not addressing it

Given the lack of talent at OT around the league, I'd imagine someone will pay Spriggs more than the Packers are willing to pay.

I do wonder how Spriggs will do in a different offense/scheme next year.

I'm kind of in the boat @incognito_man said earlier. I'm not cutting anyone until I have to. We're going to have 30+ in cap. We won't need money right off the bat. I get someone like Earl Thomas to agree to a deal? OK I can cut Tramon now. Flowers? OK I'll June 1 Nick Perry. 

To cut those guys and carry over 20m in cap because FA didn't go as hoped would be stupid. Cut them if you need the money.

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm kind of in the boat @incognito_man said earlier. I'm not cutting anyone until I have to. We're going to have 30+ in cap. We won't need money right off the bat. I get someone like Earl Thomas to agree to a deal? OK I can cut Tramon now. Flowers? OK I'll June 1 Nick Perry. 

To cut those guys and carry over 20m in cap because FA didn't go as hoped would be stupid. Cut them if you need the money.

I'm assuming that's how they'd do it anyways. All the more reason why it's a necessity that we land those FA's or guys like them. The "well we tried and failed so let's keep Tramon and Nick" excuse isn't something anyone should be looking forward to. 

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Everybodoy's in love with what Fackrell has done this year, but Spriggs deserves a fair amoount of credit. Man's not overstepping anymore. When he's losing, he's losing on his hands work, and that will get better with reps. I wouldn't be excited about Spriggs starting next year, but I wouldn't be dreading it either. 

Are we really in love with Fackrell? It's an interesting question really, where do people stand with Fackrell in terms of his role in 2019? Do people think he's a surething starter now because he had 10 sacks? It would be interesting to go back and look at those sacks and see how many times Fackrell actually beat his guy 1-on-1 versus a coverage/chase down sack. I'm thrilled the guy stepped up and I think he has a place on the team, but if I'm GB, I'm still looking to two starting EDGE players this off-season. 

In terms of Spriggs, the guy just makes me nervous every time he steps onto the field. Maybe it's all in my head but he's still the guy in my mind that is going to get whooped on the big 3rd down in the 4th quarter. He's a fine backup but I'd be looking to draft Bulaga's replacement in the draft this year. 

Archived