So who do you want it to be?

Brit Pack

So who do you want it to be?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. With the first round of interviews almost over we are getting closer to finding our next HC, lets take a vote who do you want it to be???

• Adam Gase
    • Matt LaFleur
    • Todd Monken
    • Pete Carmichael
    • Brian Flores
    • Joe Philbin
    • Josh McDaniels
    • Jim Caldwell
    • Chuck Pagano
    • Mike Munchak
    • Dan Campbell

10 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Ok, lots of replies here. I don’t know that answer but Indianapolis looks like it was a good job now and he screwed then over. Maybe he didn’t have the insite to as did others but what if AR keeps declining and it wasn’t McCarthy?  Does he stay? He bailed on Indy why wouldn’t he do the same to us?

just making an argument here that he’s not my guy. If we pick him, like drafting C Ferrel, I will root for him. 

Several pages back I said that if McDaniels signs a contract in GB .. he can't just up and quit and return to NE.  New England would have to give the Packers major compensation to break that deal.  

I voted for Matt LaFluer but I immediately regretted the button push.  Seems like a reach to get the next Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan and I'm not sure how many of those sort of guys are out there.  I go back and forth.  Monken, Gase, Munchak and Campbell are all intriguing options with 3 of the 4 having prior head coaching experience. 

Don't know a ton about Monken but the work he did with Fitzpatrick or in Tampa in general this year was impressive.  Think I'd rather see him hired as a offensive coordinator as I'm not sure he's experienced enough for my liking to be HC. 

Gase is an offensive guy that has done a relatively respectable job in Miami despite having one of the worst rosters in the league.  The negative interactions with the owner are a black eye for me.  Anyone that feels the need to blurt out to the room that he knows more about football than the rest of the room is a guy who's probably lacking people skills.  Saying that though, his players loved him. 

Campbell, the person, reminds me a little of the 2005 version of Mike McCarthy.  He'd surely need an offensive wiz to run the offense but he's tough, a great leader and players love him.  He's always gotten the best from his players. 

I would like to stay away from the New England assistants as the chances are great that they aren't quality choices.  It's an annual occurrence that just because they are involved in the machine that is known as the Patriots that their the best thing since sliced bread.   Last year it was Matt Patricia, who didn't look all that great this year.  Teams will eventually stop trying to replicate New England (heck, Detroit tried to trade for Gronk for Pete's sake).

20 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Several pages back I said that if McDaniels signs a contract in GB .. he can't just up and quit and return to NE.  New England would have to give the Packers major compensation to break that deal.  

I wouldn't at all be surprised if he wanted to include an out clause in his contract for New England.

Even then, I'm not sure he'd need one.  Mike Holmgren was under contract with Green Bay for the 1999 season yet that didn't stop him from resigning and accepting a promotion in Seattle.  Bill Belichick isn't just the head coach in New England, he's the GM as well.  I believe If New England wanted McDaniels they could get him with the same job/ titles as Belichick without having to pay Green Bay any compensation (like I said, I believe).

32 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I realize that. He could still ask out. If he does, are you keeping him?

I’ll say this too. I did not interview him and I’m doing so, maybe he could change my mind but his schpeel last year just leaves a bad taste in my mouth

1 hour ago, SSG said:

Gase is an offensive guy that has done a relatively respectable job in Miami despite having one of the worst rosters in the league.  The negative interactions with the owner are a black eye for me.  Anyone that feels the need to blurt out to the room that he knows more about football than the rest of the room is a guy who's probably lacking people skills.  Saying that though, his players loved him.  

Cherry picked your post...apologies.

But...regarding Gase.  I really like him, but those vets in Miami sure came out against him.  I'm unsure if the "players loved him". 

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

But...regarding Gase.  I really like him, but those vets in Miami sure came out against him.  I'm unsure if the "players loved him". 

I read that several of the vets who allegedly had a problem with Case (per the story) spoke out that they were erroneously misquoted by the original source, and that they had nothing but love for the guy.  In fact, the original source removed there story/tweet/post shortly after these vets pushed back. 

Case is hard for me to evaluate - if you listen only to their fans and local media, it's good riddance.  Yet others in the industry seem to think he has potential.  I've heard everything from he's an intelligent guy to he's arrogant and a terrible play-caller.  How the heck are we really supposed to know whether he's got that "it" factor, or, if he's just another guy?  That goes for all of the candidates I guess. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

OH, maybe.  I'd read otherwise.  Seen that there was  large group of players who stayed behind after he'd been let go to wish him luck.  Also read that he was loved by his Bronco players.  Doesn't matter much now, looks like Green Bay has made their hire.

2 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

I realize that. He could still ask out. If he does, are you keeping him?

I’ll say this too. I did not interview him and I’m doing so, maybe he could change my mind but his schpeel last year just leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Not that it matters now, but if I had a head coach that wanted to leave the job to go somewhere else I would try to get as much compensation as possible and then let him walk.  I don't want a guy that doesn't want to be here, but I sure as heck wouldn't let him leave without being heavily compensated.

4 hours ago, SSG said:

I wouldn't at all be surprised if he wanted to include an out clause in his contract for New England.

Even then, I'm not sure he'd need one.  Mike Holmgren was under contract with Green Bay for the 1999 season yet that didn't stop him from resigning and accepting a promotion in Seattle.  Bill Belichick isn't just the head coach in New England, he's the GM as well.  I believe If New England wanted McDaniels they could get him with the same job/ titles as Belichick without having to pay Green Bay any compensation (like I said, I believe).

I found this:

“Lateral moves are only permitted if both teams agree.

If the Bears really wanted to hire away an offensive coordinator currently under contract they could always work out compensation with that team. Either with some draft picks or some money changing hands. But with the limited supply of draft picks the Bears have next year and with everyone knowing how cheap they are, this isn't really an option”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.windycitygridiron.com/platform/amp/2009/11/25/1173920/rules-on-hiring-nfl-coaches

So chances are if JMD quits (while under signed contract) and then flees to NE, NFL will fine and dock draft picks from NE and possibly suspend JMD.

Comparing 1999 NFL rules to 2019 is absurd.  Not sure the Holmgren circumstances so I won’t comment.

Even when Farve “retired” and then decided he wanted to play. Afterwards he couldn’t leave to whatever team, Packers had his rights to trade.

So what would make you think JMD could leave a LEGAL binding contract with ZERO ramifications? And what makes you think the NE would risk the ire of the commissioner?

The NFL is already prepared to fine and dock draft picks for teams who talk to college coaches without permission of College.

So Packs would demand significant compensation and if the Pats REALLY want him then they will have to pay up.

6 minutes ago, PackGymRat said:

I found this:

“Lateral moves are only permitted if both teams agree.

If the Bears really wanted to hire away an offensive coordinator currently under contract they could always work out compensation with that team. Either with some draft picks or some money changing hands. But with the limited supply of draft picks the Bears have next year and with everyone knowing how cheap they are, this isn't really an option”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.windycitygridiron.com/platform/amp/2009/11/25/1173920/rules-on-hiring-nfl-coaches

So chances are if JMD quits (while under signed contract) and then flees to NE, NFL will fine and dock draft picks from NE and possibly suspend JMD.

Comparing 1999 NFL rules to 2019 is absurd.  Not sure the Holmgren circumstances so I won’t comment.

Even when Farve “retired” and then decided he wanted to play. Afterwards he couldn’t leave to whatever team, Packers had his rights to trade.

So what would make you think JMD could leave a LEGAL binding contract with ZERO ramifications? And what makes you think the NE would risk the ire of the commissioner?

The NFL is already prepared to fine and dock draft picks for teams who talk to college coaches without permission of College team.

Not comparing anything to 1999.  Simply pointing out that I'm not sure it takes compensation when a coach accepts a promotion.  Pointing out that we once lost Holgrem while under contract with Green Bay to a promotion.  I    know coordinators are free to move with promotions, unsure if those same rules apply to HCs.  It's a moot point though.  McDaniels gets to stay in New England where he's never got to worry about being responsible for anything.  He gets what he wanted last year, a permanent spot on Bill Belichick's coatail, the only place he's ever had success in his coaching career. :)

1 minute ago, SSG said:

Not comparing anything to 1999.  Simply pointing out that I'm not sure it takes compensation when a coach accepts a promotion.  It's a moot point though.  McDaniels gets to stay in New England where he's never got to worry about being responsible for anything.  He gets what he wanted last year, a permanent spot on Bill Belichick's coatail, the only place he's ever had success in his coaching career. :)

If you read the article unless it’s a promotion it does.

Going HC to HC is a lateral move thus compensation may be involved but the VERY least BOTH teams need to agree.

3 minutes ago, PackGymRat said:

If you read the article unless it’s a promotion it does.

Going HC to HC is a lateral move thus compensation may be involved but the VERY least BOTH teams need to agree.

Bill Belichick is not just the HC.  He's the GM/ HC.  If they wanted to hire McDaniels away from a team they'd be able to offer him HC/ GM which is a promotion.

Archived