Bengals to hire Rams QB coach Zac Taylor as head coach

49erurtaza

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm thinking...horrible mistake.

But you never know! 

24 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Well, at least it isn't Hue... 

2 hours ago, theJ said:

We won't really know until a year or two from now if this was a good hire.

But hey, it's not Marvin.  So for now, yay!

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Damn.

No more Hue.

CIN wasn’t getting the cream of the HC candidate crop.  Although I am surprised Todd Monken didn’t get more love (must really be a dud interview, no one else sniffed around).   

But let’s pause and realize 2 of the other candidates interviewed were Hue Jackson and Vance Joseph.   Sure it might be a low bar but this is miles ahead of either choice.   

Everyone complains that it’s a retread league.  Then when a team that has no realistic shot of contention for 2019 and likely 2020 goes out and does something bold like ARI & CIN ppl say they are crazy.   Those are the teams that have to take chances if they want to accelerate what’s likely to be a slow return to contention.  I don’t get it.  

It might fail badly.  But safe choices are just continuing the mediocrity.   Rather see them be bold than recycle.   And god no on Hue or VJ as HC’s. 

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Everyone complains that it’s a retread league.  Then when a team that has no realistic shot of contention for 2019 and likely 2020 goes out and does something bold like ARI & CIN ppl say they are crazy.   Those are the teams that have to take chances if they want to accelerate what’s likely to be a slow return to contention.  I don’t get it.  

They can definitely compete next year.  Anyone can.  Any team can turn around quick with a good set of picks, a few FA pickups, and health.

With CIN, they need a good dose of health (one of the most injured teams in 2018 when considering starters games lost), and a few good picks.  They still have a pretty core group of players.

Also, i agree with your sentiment.  Go bold.

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It might fail badly.  But safe choices are just continuing the mediocrity.   Rather see them be bold than recycle.   And god no on Hue or VJ as HC’s. 

I guess? Arizona made a much better choice, though. 

15 minutes ago, theJ said:

They can definitely compete next year.  Anyone can.  Any team can turn around quick with a good set of picks, a few FA pickups, and health.

With CIN, they need a good dose of health (one of the most injured teams in 2018 when considering starters games lost), and a few good picks.  They still have a pretty core group of players.

Also, i agree with your sentiment.  Go bold.

To be fair, CIN is in a lot better position than ARI in a vacuum.  But with where BAL & CLE are at in their growth cycle, and PIT still hanging around until Big Ben's inevitable decline (sooner or later it's happening, it's coming, just a matter of when - Father Time remains undefeated), the most likely outcome though is CIN won't realistically make it to the playoffs next year, and even 2020 seems optimistic (yes injuries can change a lot, but it's about probability).  To really take a step forward and get in with CLE/BAL for the future, they need something bold...hence the HC hire.  That's all I'm saying.  

59 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

At least Kingsbury has some successful HC experience.

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Well I wouldn't say successful. I mean he was a sub.500 coach. 

To your point of HC experience; 
-Kingsbury has 6 years of head coaching experience at the college level and zero NFL experience.
-Taylor has 7 years of coaching experience including 6 years of first hand NFL experience but zero as a head coach.

Now how you choose to weigh these are entirely up to you but personally I would rather take the one who has atleast been in &/or around the NFL environment vs someone who has not. There is something to be said about the difference in trying to maintain order among kids playing a game for free vs grown men, some of which older than you, making millions. 

I gotta imagine that Taylor at the very least picked up on some of this during his time with the Dolphins and Rams on how to handle these situations. And much more so than Kingsbury has up to this point. 

4 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I don't understand this sentiment. Who did you want the Bengals to hire? Who would be the better hire and why? This is what the people of Cincinnati wanted. A breath of fresh air. There is no need for pity here.

Everyone is projecting Taylor's career based on absolutely nothing. The detractors have nothing to sneer or laugh at. A HC isn't like a draft prospect who can be evaluated under a microscope and be criticized with validity. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes with Taylor, or how he evaluates talent, or what his philosophies are. 

It's a crap shoot. We're taking a shot. He could be great or he could be awful. Why are people so quick to assuming the worst? We've seen inexperienced coaches blossom before, and we've seen them fail. As a fan who suffered under Marvin Lewis, I'm excited and optimistic. I don't understand what more you want.

I was being nice. Honestly I don't give 2 poops about Cincinnati.

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

The sean mcvay connection demonstrates how reactive nfl owners and gms are. 

This is not true at all, they're just chasing the latest trend like they always do. This is nothing new, just the trend has changed.

7 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

This is getting ridiculous. Our coaches are getting poached from all angles. 

At this rate, look for our equipment manager to become the new raiders head coach after they fire Gruden 

You're Surprised Why? That's what happens when your team is winning. Especially if it ends in a SB.

Only questions is will he be the next DeFilippo or Reich?

Archived