Who's more responsible for the Patriots success, Brady or Belichick?

DigInBoys

Who's the bigger reason for the Patriots success?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the bigger reason for the Patriots success?

• Brady
    • Belichick

On 1/30/2019 at 6:31 AM, sryan66611 said:

Ok since this one is final and we got the answer lets move on the next one...

Who is more responsible for the success of the offense Josh McDaniels/Coaching or Brady

Belichick almost never talk to his offense during the games.

Coaches never make good QB. A good coach knows how to use the talents of his QB. Belichick and McDaniels didnt recruite players like James White  until AFTER 2014 SB when they saw the emergence of Julian Edelmen, who was not drafted as a receiver. If they had done it in 2007, Pats would have won at least 2 more SB.

It is ridiculous that some fans think Pats offense has been like it is now since the very beginning. 

Brady won 5 SB with dink n dunk. When Brady didn't play dink n dunk, he always struggled to score 20+ pts against good defense (including the AFCCG agaisnt Jags), and  it is obvious that Belichick has always tried to change it to vertical offense.

BTW, two important issues about QB positions :

1. EASY PASS DOESN'T MEAN EASY SCORE. In the opening drive against Chiefs, it took SIX first downs to move 70 yds; in the winning drive in OT, it took FIVE first downs to move 65 yds. Any failure of one of the down would mean no TD at least; any penalty may kill a drive.

2.Coach can design a good play, it doesn't mean that QB can execute it. To blame poor plays by QB on coaches is like saying if I can remember 5000 French words, then I can speak fluent french. When an offense has been 1-dimensional for long time, it is QB's fault, not coach's fault, like Dan Marino under Don Shula and Jimmy Johnson. The biggest problem is always if QB can execute. If good designs had led to executions automatically, every team would have hired 50 OC.

I've been skimming over this thread since it began wondering to myself what the answer to this question is.

To me, it's Brady. In my extremely uninformed opinion. And that is not a slight on Belichick. I just wonder, do I want the coach or the quarterback? And Brady is just so far ahead of his peers at a position that is by nature so impactful, that I have to go with him. There are a million examples but recently, I think about both games he played against the Chiefs this year. There was too much time.This ties into the Godmode Brady thread. He is just too damn clutch.

Bill is still a top 5 coach ever, but it’s Brady. You watch him and he doesn’t do anything breathtaking, BUT he almost always does exactly the right thing. He takes the easy pass any time it’s there. He takes his chances at the right time and when the odds are in his favor. He can make any throw on the field, but he’s almost robotic in the way that he always picks the high percentage option. Note: that doesn’t mean it’s just a dump off or check down, I’m not trying to knock him here. It can be 10 yards, 20 yards downfield - he takes it and hits it. He gets the ball out in an insanely short time. If it’s not there, it’s not there and he lives for the next play. He’s insanely efficient in ways that you just can’t coach. The best coach in the world can’t get into a QBs head and wire it to always make the good decision, the way Brady does. And then to turn that computation into the perfect pass 75% of the time? It’s insane. He’s a machine. 

48 minutes ago, Starless said:

The pendulum swings back. 

It was always Bill. People who aren't teenagers might remember him using a duct tape secondary and shutting down the best offenses in the league on his way to winning rings. Starting guys off the street.

I say Bill, just because as far as I’m concerned we have seen a handful of QBs in the same stratosphere as Brady. Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, and we’ve seen how little success, relatively speaking, they’ve had compared to Pats.

With a coach it’s harder to quantify their ability, all we have is resume. I’m left to just assume Bill IS that far ahead of his peers since IMO Brady is not.

Either way, to have this kind of dynasty takes a HOF QB, HC and GM, minimum.

It's weird because the start and finish has seemed to be all Bill and the middle was largely Brady.
I don't think it was a coincidence they didn't win a Super Bowl for a decade.

They've been their best teams when they could play D, control the clock and methodically take away their opponents strengths.
Feel like the 3 games they lost they were comin in hot and choke in two and weren't good enough in the 3rd.

Brady's buy in and willingness for BB to ride him so hard at practice and meetings is a huge reason why BB can demand so much of the team. I wonder if he would have worn out his welcome without Brady's humility. 

Archived