Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

49 minutes ago, Howler said:

Article has a valid point. Aaron went from riches to rags, in terms of complimentary talent.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/4/28/21239073/aaron-rodgers-packers-career-nfl-draft-jordan-love

Since the 2006 draft, the Packers rank 29th in total draft capital (as measured by the traditional Jimmy Johnson draft chart) spent on non-QB skill-position players (i.e., wide receivers, running backs, and tight ends). If we throw in offensive linemen, the Packers do even worse. Though they’ve taken a couple of first-round blockers during the Rodgers era (Bryan Bulaga in 2010, Derek Sherrod in 2011), they sink all the way to 31st.

Article has a stupid point. Rodgers has had a top-5 OL in many of the recent years. I don't care what slot they were drafted at. He also had a very good receiving group right up through at least the end of 2016. The team had a plethora of late-round steals at all the offense positions who would be drafted much higher (maybe even 1st round) if teams were forced to do a re-draft in hindsight. And when the rookie deals for those guys expired, the team re-signed them (generally with widespread approval of the fanbase). The last 4 years they were #7,#4,#1, and #1 in cap space spent on offence from 2016-19. Casual fans and ignorant journalists have this nasty habit of acting like the offense was 100% Rodgers all these years and belittling the contributions of all the other offensive players. 

Additionally, that guy's chart does not account for differences in total available draft capital. It is not an equally divided pool for all teams. As you'll notice, there are a bunch of crappy teams on the high-end because bad teams get alot more total draft assets to spend than good teams. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Article has a stupid point. Rodgers has had a top-5 OL in many of the recent years. I don't care what slot they were drafted at. He also had a very good receiving group right up through at least the end of 2016. The team had a plethora of late-round steals at all the offense positions who would be drafted much higher (maybe even 1st round) if teams were forced to do a re-draft in hindsight. And when the rookie deals for those guys expired, the team re-signed them (generally with widespread approval of the fanbase). The last 4 years they were #7,#4,#1, and #1 in cap space spent on offence from 2016-19. Casual fans and ignorant journalists have this nasty habit of acting like the offense was 100% Rodgers all these years and belittling the contributions of all the other offensive players. 

Additionally, that guy's chart does not account for differences in total available draft capital. It is not an equally divided pool for all teams. As you'll notice, there are a bunch of crappy teams on the high-end because bad teams get alot more total draft assets to spend than good teams. 

Fans ALWAYS over rate their own teams talent.

35 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

My point is the draft is a flawed system. You're going to miss. In fact, you're going to miss more than you hit. Complete GMs use all phases. That was always a shortcoming of Ted. In fact, the year he made an in season pickup, that guy, Howard Green, forced a play in the Super Bowl that could have been the difference in a win versus a loss. We needed more of that. 

Whether the free agents a team signs played for their own team the previous year or another team the previous year makes ZERO difference. All that matters is that the players that were signed perform up to the level of their contracts. There was nothing systemically wrong with TT's system. He spent like 99.7% of the cap space available to him over that period. If he had any failings it was in the case-by-case decisions on *which* players he chose to sign/re-sign (ie. Bennett, Cobb, Matthews,Perry), and which to let walk (Hayward), which obviously fans are generally no more knowledgeable about than GM's except in hindsight. 

Edited by TransientTexan

8 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Fans ALWAYS over rate their own teams talent.

not all of them. especially in cases like this. many Packers fans became so spoiled by success that it no longer was enough to have a franchise with alot of superbowls on their belt or in contention every year. They also needed to be able to tell other teams' fans that they had the best QB in history (particularly with the Brady debate). So when Rodgers wasn't winning enough to match that, some fans became subconsciously inclined to minimize what else was on the team to give Rodgers excuses for the deficit in trophies and any dips in performance. They've become Rodgers fans instead of Packers fans, even if they do not realize it. Scapegoats must be found to satiate them. 

Someone on Reddit posted a very good comment about the way Rodgers is treated.

I was listening to a podcast today, and one of the hosts was saying how he's sick of Aaron Rodgers attitude, how he's childish and vindictive. I honestly don't understand how a guy that mostly keeps to himself, has 0 major controversies on his record, and seems like an all around good guy gets so much hate in the media. All you hear about is that he's a bad teammate (which has proven not to be true), he has a poor attitude (also not true), he doesn't get along with his coach (also not true), he throws receivers and teammates under the bus (literally never happened), and that he hates his own family (which nobody knows the story behind).

Why is it that Rodgers, who I will admit can sometimes be surly and condescending, gets so much hate?

Someone else basically listed some of the various things that the media did to Rodgers.

He’s been the subject of so much scrutiny, it’s absolutely sickening.

His little brother airs his family’s dirty laundry to the public, and the internet rolls with it. Now “Rodgers hates his family” is accepted as both a fact and a punchline.

Then the media rolls with that absolute joke of a story about how ****ty a team mate Rodgers is after they release that hit piece on him.

Then the media rolls with the idea that Rodgers isn’t going to respect LaFluer as an unproven head coach and will audible out of all his play calls.

Now the media is rolling with the narrative that Rodgers is pissed off at the FO for not giving him any help this offseason.

Were the possibly gay rumors ever taken seriously? Or was that just something that salty Bears, Vikings and Lions fans came up with as a joke?

I mean he has to be one of the most universally disliked athletes in American sports, and for no reason other than the fact that he’s really ******* good. But no one admits that, it’s always “oh he’s a diva, oh he’s arrogant, oh he always whines for calls and the refs protect him.”

A newspaper in Minnesota posted the Anthony The ***** Barr hit on their front ******* page for gods sake.

• Like 1

Using draft capitol is a beyond idiotic way to try to judge talent.

Using that as a measuring stick adding Laqoun Treadwell was worth 760 points while adding Jennings and Adams only 750.

Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Adams, and Jones add up to 1760 points while Justin Blackmon was 1700 points by himself. 

• Like 1

just for fun, I decided to take a look to see what pass catchers were available in 1st round AND went in the 1st round without having to trade up when the Packers picked going back to 2008, Rodgers first year as a starter.

2008: We ended up drafting Jordy Nelson at 36. Picked 30th originally and traded it to the Jets- Dustin Keller

2009- Picked BJ Raji 9th and Clay Matthews III 26th-- Michael Crabtree, Jeremy Maclin, Brandon Pettigrew, Percy Harvin, Hakeem Nicks and Kenny Britt went after pick 9

2010- Picked Bryan Bulaga at 23rd-- Dez Bryant went after pick 23

2011- Picked Derek Sherrod 32nd - None

2012- Picked Nick Perry 28th-- AJ Jenkins went after pick 28

2013- Picked Datone Jones 26th-- Deandre Hopkins and Cordarrelle Patterson went after pick 26

2014- Picked Haha Clinton-Dix 21st-- Kelvin Benjamin went after pick 21

2015- Picked Damarious Randall 30th: None

2016- Picked Kenny Clark 27th: None

2017- We ended up drafting Kevin King 33rd. Originally Picked 29th and traded it to Browns-- David Njoku went 29th

2018- We Drafted Jaire Alexander 18th. Picked 14th traded back to 27th, then up to 18th-- DJ Moore, Calvin Ridley and Hayden Hurst went after pick 18

2019- Picked Rashan Gary 12th and Darnell Savage 21st. Originally picked 30th and traded up to 21st-- Noah Fant, Marquise Brown and N'Keal Harry went after pick 12

Then decided to take a look to see who we could have drafted if we had traded up to a maximum of 10 spots higher to get a pass catcher

2008- Up to 20: None

2009- Up to 1: Darrius Heyword-Bey

2010-  Up to 13: DeMaryius Thomas

2011- Up to 20: Jonathan Baldwin

2012- Up to 18: Kendall Wright

2013- Up to 16: Tyler Eifert,

2014- Up to 11: Brandin Cooks and OBJ

2015- Up to pick 20: Phillip Dorsett, Breshad Perriman, and Nelson Agholor

2016- Up to pick 17: Will Fueller, Josh Doctson, and Laquon Treadwill

2017- Up to pick 19: OJ Howard and Evan Engram

2018- Up to pick 4: None

2019- Up to pick 2. TJ Hockenson

Without having to trade up, I think I can count on 1 hand the players (pass catchers) I would have preferred over our 1st round pick that year

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

not all of them. especially in cases like this. many Packers fans became so spoiled by success that it no longer was enough to have a franchise with alot of superbowls on their belt or in contention every year. They also needed to be able to tell other teams' fans that they had the best QB in history (particularly with the Brady debate). So when Rodgers wasn't winning enough to match that, some fans became subconsciously inclined to minimize what else was on the team to give Rodgers excuses for the deficit in trophies and any dips in performance. They've become Rodgers fans instead of Packers fans, even if they do not realize it. Scapegoats must be found to satiate them. 

That's one theory.  Probably not a very good one, but it is a theory.

2 hours ago, Chili said:

Someone on Reddit posted a very good comment about the way Rodgers is treated.

Someone else basically listed some of the various things that the media did to Rodgers.

I don't think it's too hard to understand. He comes off as smug to a lot of people. Almost everybody hates people that give off an I'm better than you and I know it attitude and doubly so when they actually are. 

This hasn’t turned in a Jordan Love Appreciation thread yet?

Rodgers is old news. Let’s start appreciating Love and how the packers front office screwed him and didn’t draft WRs this year to help him!!!

Also signing an undrafted free agent QB... so disrespectful.