Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We're not going to eat a 32 million dollar cap hit. Come on. 

If Love did hit and we 'wanted' to move on in 21.  Is there anyway that Rodgers could pay back the bonus money and we void the contract ? Is that possible ?  Not entirely sure what the rules are with the dead money. Obviously he would only be prepared to pay 30m or whatever it is back if he signed a contract elsewhere that guaranteed him more than that but is it possible ?

I don't remotely agree with your views on Rodgers and don't want us to move on. 

But the facts are that having a starting QB on a rookie deal is a huge advantage so if Love did hit, we want to transition as soon as possible. My big issue with the whole pick is that even if we did hit on Love (which is far from certain), we may only actually get one year maybe plus the 5th year option of cap advantage.

If it was 'legal' then it would probably suit all sides. If (and its a massive if) Gute was right and Love is the real deal.

44 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

If Love did hit and we 'wanted' to move on in 21.  Is there anyway that Rodgers could pay back the bonus money and we void the contract ? Is that possible ?  Not entirely sure what the rules are with the dead money. Obviously he would only be prepared to pay 30m or whatever it is back if he signed a contract elsewhere that guaranteed him more than that but is it possible ?

I don't remotely agree with your views on Rodgers and don't want us to move on. 

But the facts are that having a starting QB on a rookie deal is a huge advantage so if Love did hit, we want to transition as soon as possible. My big issue with the whole pick is that even if we did hit on Love (which is far from certain), we may only actually get one year maybe plus the 5th year option of cap advantage.

If it was 'legal' then it would probably suit all sides. If (and its a massive if) Gute was right and Love is the real deal.

I havent figured what the hit would be if GB were to release AR prior to the 2021 season - but - 17M+ if done before the 2022 season is manageable IMO. The salary savings would be around 22M - so, in essence it pays for itself. 

Think the settlement in Michael Clayton :)

2022 - if he's got the chops -(which I hope is the case given we just dropped a #1 pick to select him....). 

2022 is the first season we'd see JL @ QB1 IMO

Unless (and I think this highly unlikely....) we find a trade partner willing to take ARs contract on - which isnt likely IMO given that teams would prefer negotiating a new deal once he's been released.

Edited by Leader

Article has a valid point. Aaron went from riches to rags, in terms of complimentary talent.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/4/28/21239073/aaron-rodgers-packers-career-nfl-draft-jordan-love

Draft_capital_spent_on_non_QB_offensive_

Since the 2006 draft, the Packers rank 29th in total draft capital (as measured by the traditional Jimmy Johnson draft chart) spent on non-QB skill-position players (i.e., wide receivers, running backs, and tight ends). If we throw in offensive linemen, the Packers do even worse. Though they’ve taken a couple of first-round blockers during the Rodgers era (Bryan Bulaga in 2010, Derek Sherrod in 2011), they sink all the way to 31st.

Edited by Howler

3 minutes ago, Howler said:

Article has a valid point. Aaron went from riches to rags, in terms of complimentary talent.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/4/28/21239073/aaron-rodgers-packers-career-nfl-draft-jordan-love

Since the 2006 draft, the Packers rank 29th in total draft capital (as measured by the traditional Jimmy Johnson draft chart) spent on non-QB skill-position players (i.e., wide receivers, running backs, and tight ends). If we throw in offensive linemen, the Packers do even worse. Though they’ve taken a couple of first-round blockers during the Rodgers era (Bryan Bulaga in 2010, Derek Sherrod in 2011), they sink all the way to 31st:

In terms of DRAFT CAPITAL. We had the most expensive offense in the entire damn league last year.

19 minutes ago, Howler said:

Since the 2006 draft, the Packers rank 29th in total draft capital (as measured by the traditional Jimmy Johnson draft chart) spent on non-QB skill-position players (i.e., wide receivers, running backs, and tight ends). If we throw in offensive linemen, the Packers do even worse. Though they’ve taken a couple of first-round blockers during the Rodgers era (Bryan Bulaga in 2010, Derek Sherrod in 2011), they sink all the way to 31st.

We got 4/5 of one of the best lines in the NFL without using a round 1 pick, and a really nice backfield without using a day 1 or 2 (until Dillon) pick. Ted's hit rate on offense was outstanding, we didn't need to use premium picks. If he could've matched that on the defensive side of the ball, Rodgers would have multiple championships. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We got 4/5 of one of the best lines in the NFL without using a round 1 pick, and a really nice backfield without using a day 1 or 2 (until Dillon) pick. Ted's hit rate on offense was outstanding, we didn't need to use premium picks. If he could've matched that on the defensive side of the ball or used FA or other roster-building avenues to compensate, Rodgers would have multiple championships. 

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Common misconception. We spent up to the cap every year on our own guys. Problem was most of them were offensive guys, and we recycled defensive guys in the draft. If we drafted them better, we'd have had a hell of a team. It's not like Ted carried over 20m every year.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Common misconception. We spent up to the cap every year on our own guys. Problem was most of them were offensive guys, and we recycled defensive guys in the draft. If we drafted them better, we'd have had a hell of a team. It's not like Ted carried over 20m every year.

My point is the draft is a flawed system. You're going to miss. In fact, you're going to miss more than you hit. Complete GMs use all phases. That was always a shortcoming of Ted. In fact, the year he made an in season pickup, that guy, Howard Green, forced a play in the Super Bowl that could have been the difference in a win versus a loss. We needed more of that. 

48 minutes ago, Howler said:

Article has a valid point.

no it doesn't, its actually a pile of steaming excrement. They don't even mention to 2011 crew - how lame is that ?
Those measurements are draft capital expended, not talent acquired. Those are 2 different completely things - and talent acquired is all that matters
Instead of being an indictment of the front office, its the exact opposite.
I am having a very hard time accepting how ******* stoooopid packer fans are.

4eb1a5264d937.image.jpg?resize=500,661

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

My point is the draft is a flawed system. You're going to miss. In fact, you're going to miss more than you hit. Complete GMs use all phases. That was always a shortcoming of Ted. In fact, the year he made an in season pickup, that guy, Howard Green, forced a play in the Super Bowl that could have been the difference in a win versus a loss. We needed more of that. 

Agreed, but for every Howard Green there's a Ryan Grant, who doesn't move the needle even slightly. Ted could've thrown more crap at the wall, but the easiest way was to just draft better defensive players. 

58 minutes ago, Howler said:

Besides what's already said...

• Bad teams have more draft capital than good teams. They could have made a % chart instead and it would have been more enlightening imo.
  • First round picks are worth a metric ton of draft capital, so just that is going to skew the weight towards the defense by a lot.

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

no it doesn't, its actually a pile of steaming excrement. They don't even mention to 2011 crew - how lame is that ?
Those measurements are draft capital expended, not talent acquired. Those are 2 different completely things - and talent acquired is all that matters
Instead of being an indictment of the front office, its the exact opposite.
I am having a very hard time accepting how ******* stoooopid packer fans are.

4eb1a5264d937.image.jpg?resize=500,661

What an absolute embarrassment of riches Green Bay had in their receivers. Using hindsight how many first rounders would be spent on that group?

1 minute ago, Kepler said:

What an absolute embarrassment of riches Green Bay had in their receivers. Using hindsight how many first rounders would be spent on that group?

just think: it took nearly prime Rodgers, THAT group of pass-catchers and a top 2 defense to win the Super Bowl.

****'s hard to win, man

• Like 4

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

just think: it took nearly prime Rodgers, THAT group of pass-catchers and a top 2 defense to win the Super Bowl.

****'s hard to win, man

Too bad we couldn't have kept the gang together for a few more years .. probably could have brought home another Lombardi or two.