NFL Draft GDT: Day One (no spoiled picks!!)

Forge

11 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Looks like people are super split on the Raiders draft. My interpretation:

• Reached on a DE as it was a major need. Better fit in a 4-3 than Allen and is the prototype DE for Guenther's D. He has a super high floor and I think will be a solid pro. Will be a mid tier DE long-term.
  • Love the Jacobs pick. Quite easily the best RB in this class. The definition of a 3 down back and can run, block and catch. Will never lead the league in yards but again, will be a reliable do it all pro. 
  • Abram is a bit of a question mark for me. I don't know much of anything other than he is again a high character guy (common theme with Mayock) and has speed/hits hard. Our secondary looks pretty promising but Karl Joseph will probably be traded at some point.

Overall I give it a solid B. Not elite players anywhere but capable day one starters at 3 positions. 

Bro for 1st round picks that not exactly what you want.

You had Pick #4. If you don't walk away with a blue chip player, then youre doing it wrong.

Jacobs is the best RB of a crap RB class. 1st round RBs need to produce and produce a lot. Otherwise you're better off getting someone in one of the mid rounds. 

In a league that values the pass more than ever, you got a thumper. 

Raiders easily get a D on this draft from me. 

25 minutes ago, ET80 said:

No. I need to do the opposite now. Or breathe in another substance that'll calm me down.

Either, or.

FWIW I think Howard could be a top 5 RT, but I feel bad for you if Texans try to force him at LT.

1 minute ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Bro for 1st round picks that not exactly what you want.

You had Pick #4. If you don't walk away with a blue chip player, then youre doing it wrong.

Jacobs is the best RB of a crap RB class. 1st round RBs need to produce and produce a lot. Otherwise you're better off getting someone in one of the mid rounds. 

In a league that values the pass more than ever, you got a thumper. 

Raiders easily get a D on this draft from me. 

There was only 2 blue chips in this class and they went #2 and #3. Allen is a flashier pick but would be a waste of a pick at #4 for a SAM in our system. Jacobs regardless of what you think of this class is a good RB prospect. What flaws does he have? He isn't a 4.3 guy? 

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

There was only 2 blue chips in this class and they went #2 and #3. Allen is a flashier pick but would be a waste of a pick at #4 for a SAM in our system. Jacobs regardless of what you think of this class is a good RB prospect. What flaws does he have? He isn't a 4.3 guy? 

I will say this - if NYJ was willing to drop from 3 to 4 and it only required OAK's 2nd rounder, they should have done that deal.   Because while I love Ferrell, if you believe there are only 2 blue-chip prospects and he's going #3, you spend the 2nd rounder and upgrade to blue-chip. 

If ppl want to argue that Ferrell is blue-chip, I don't think he's in QW's class, but at least I can see the reasoning.   I don't see the reasoning to withold a 2nd round pick if that's the difference between a very good and an elite true blue-chip prospect.  Just my 2 cents.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

I will say this - if NYJ was willing to drop from 3 to 4 and it only required OAK's 2nd rounder, they should have done that deal.   Because while I love Ferrell, if you believe there are only 2 blue-chip prospects and he's going #3, you spend the 2nd rounder and upgrade to blue-chip. 

If ppl want to argue that Ferrell is blue-chip, I don't think he's in QW's class, but at least I can see the reasoning.   I don't see the reasoning to withold a 2nd round pick if that's the difference between a very good and an elite true blue-chip prospect.  Just my 2 cents.

I would have supported a trade up personally. I think Q is going to be a HOFer but who knows what NYJ was demanding. 

13 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

FWIW I think Howard could be a top 5 RT, but I feel bad for you if Texans try to force him at LT.

That's exactly what's going to happen. He's playing LT. 

Or, he's playing RT and Davenport is playing LT.

It all adds up to Deshaun Watson going on IR after he dies.

Giants are a hot pile of crap. I can't even.

Redskins though. Impressed. People were clowning them for months and they went and killed their picks. The NFC East will be fun to watch. Hell I totally forgot Guise was on the team. They have a trio of RBs and Haskins. If they just need some WR help and they solid. Their defense is no joke. Don't sleep on Washington. 

From DEN's perspective, Rd1 2019 is going to be defined in 3 ways:

1.  Should we have passed on Haskins?   Personally, I would have run to the podium with 1.10.  Not everyone agrees.   But I think he's the one QB with a true earned Rd1 grade skills-wise, albeit with a 1-year track record that introduces more risk.   

2.  Should we have passed on Devin Bush instead of Fant plus 2.52/2020 3rd?   That return is actually slightly below book value - but it's actually worse when you consider we had no way of knowing who we'd get at 1.20, and so you don't do that unless you are clearly winning the deal - and PIT was desperate to get Devin Bush as a true difference maker ILB to finally fill the void of Ryan Shazier.     In the end, if Fant doesn't work out, we could also regret not simply taking the best non-QB at 1.10.   Which brings me to...

3.  Will Fant produce for 3+ years at an impact level?  With the 5th year option that's cheap, you still must get 3+ years of impact play to justify a Rd1 pick.  No way around that.  TE's almost certainly are year 1 throwaways - and many take 2.  I do think Iowa's TE system and Fant's incredible receiving ceiling makes him one of the few that can justify the TE pick, but history is against TE in general. I do think OJ Howard is about to fulfill that boom pick (as he was on his way in the 2H of last year pre-injury), and I think both Hock (safer because he's an elite blocker already) and Fant have that potential, being closer to help now from the Iowa system.  

But mostly, I'm thrilled we didn't fall into the QB-need-over-all-else and dive in on Drew Lock.  Imagine how Elway must feel watching Lock fall out of Rd1 - where we were clearly considering him at 1.10..then feared 1.20 (which would have been in a lot of ways even dumber - if you believe in the guy enough to take QB 1.20, you shouldn't be risking him being sniped by dropping down from 1.10).   The fact that no team that still was looking for QB long-term (MIA, LAC, NE just to name a few, given they all kicked the tires on Rosen or have clear future needs <NE>) still passed on Lock for the affordable 5th year options, well it makes me so happy DEN passed.   I do wish we had gone Haskins though...that could haunt us.  We'll see.

3 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Steelers are crazy.

Anger will make people do crazy things. The Steelers have spent four months getting **** on by the rest of the NFL, including those with no right to **** on them. They're angry. More importantly, they're quietly angry. Don't be surprised if they blindside an NFL that's left them for dead.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

That's exactly what's going to happen. He's playing LT. 

Or, he's playing RT and Davenport is playing LT.

It all adds up to Deshaun Watson going on IR after he dies.

If you put him at RT, at least you'll know it was probably Davenports fault. Plus, you could double up at OT. Little, Cajuste, Edoga, and Pipkins (The most underrated LT prospect) still there.

Archived