NFL Draft GDT: Day One (no spoiled picks!!)

Forge

5 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

Not that mad over the Colts trade anymore after I realized something.. After next year we will have had 9 2nd round picks in a 3 year stretch.  That's one hell of a way to build the depth of your roster.  

Still wish we got another mid-late rounder this year but oh well

Especially with the rate at which the amount of underclassmen declaring is deepening the middle of draft classes these days.  It doesn't necessarily bolster the top fringe, but it can likely serve to elevate the "non-stars" on a club over the course of a couple seasons (and help keep things this way) from average to above-average or above-average to very-good.  It also gives said teams the luxury of punting on some of the aging vets with escalating contracts - either via trade or release because there's a higher likelihood of a comparable, cheaper option being on the bench already.

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Looks like people are super split on the Raiders draft. My interpretation:

• Reached on a DE as it was a major need. Better fit in a 4-3 than Allen and is the prototype DE for Guenther's D. He has a super high floor and I think will be a solid pro. Will be a mid tier DE long-term.
  • Love the Jacobs pick. Quite easily the best RB in this class. The definition of a 3 down back and can run, block and catch. Will never lead the league in yards but again, will be a reliable do it all pro. 
  • Abram is a bit of a question mark for me. I don't know much of anything other than he is again a high character guy (common theme with Mayock) and has speed/hits hard. Our secondary looks pretty promising but Karl Joseph will probably be traded at some point.

Overall I give it a solid B. Not elite players anywhere but capable day one starters at 3 positions. 

I said it earlier, but y'all took three guys that have high character, great work ethics, and a very high floor.  I don't think any end up as hard busts.

However, I don't think any of those three guys will end up being top 5 at their respective positions.  They don't have the ceiling.  

Y'all went very safe and conservative.  Is your team going to be better?  Yes.  Do I think y'all made the most of those three picks?  Not really.  

13 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

I think we'll play Harry inside a lot

Where he belongs, so he can yac all over the 5'9" slot cb's trying to bring him down

He's my favorite slot WR in this draft. A better at everything version of Mohamed Sanu that was mislabeled as an outside wr.

57 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

I think we'll play Harry inside a lot

GFW i know you and bleed usually do full player rankings at some point in the offseason and i tried to find both of them.  Could you show me your original list of player rankings or link me to the original thread.

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Looks like people are super split on the Raiders draft. My interpretation:

• Reached on a DE as it was a major need. Better fit in a 4-3 than Allen and is the prototype DE for Guenther's D. He has a super high floor and I think will be a solid pro. Will be a mid tier DE long-term.
  • Love the Jacobs pick. Quite easily the best RB in this class. The definition of a 3 down back and can run, block and catch. Will never lead the league in yards but again, will be a reliable do it all pro. 
  • Abram is a bit of a question mark for me. I don't know much of anything other than he is again a high character guy (common theme with Mayock) and has speed/hits hard. Our secondary looks pretty promising but Karl Joseph will probably be traded at some point.

Overall I give it a solid B. Not elite players anywhere but capable day one starters at 3 positions. 

It reads like a draft where Mayock waded into the world of real GMing with half damp powder.  When it's actually his butt on the line and it doesn't matter if he takes chances, he went with a very conservative draft.  He's probably got three guys who will play there.  Abram is really the only one i think stands a decent chance of becoming a "Top-5 Player" at his position.  But...he probably got 3 players who will start for a good while, on a team that he stepped into late and needs to make better and deeper.  He made the team better...but with 3 cards to most teams 1, played it pretty close to the vest.  I think it's an interesting dichotomy because the inexperienced GM doesn't have Gruden's neverending contract written in indelible ink...and their draft kinda looked like a tug-o-war between those elements.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

That's exactly what's going to happen. He's playing LT. 

Or, he's playing RT and Davenport is playing LT.

It all adds up to Deshaun Watson going on IR after he dies.

It all ads up to Deshaun Watson going on IR after he dies *designated to return.

3 hours ago, pwny said:

..... he watched three series of play and decided that was his QB.

Good lord. 

I believe that's actually a misquote.

I think what he actually said was, that he fell in love with Daniel Jones as a professional "Quatter Back" after a few series at the Senior Bowl.  Though i haven't a clue what that position is actually responsible for, or what that means.

1 hour ago, ClutchDJ said:

I know how awful the situation Rosen was in last season, but people acting like it’s out of the realm that Rosen actually might not be good.

Honest question. Murray starts in his place with that roster last year. You honestly think the Cardinals  are vastly improved? On the field and record wise?

Think Murray actually plays 14-16 gms behind that OL? I have my doubts.

I know people probably laughed at the Raiders at #4 but Ferrell has been my #2 Edge all off season. He is an elite run defender and will get 8-10 sacks a year. He’ll never be a superstar, but he’s gonna be a dang good starter. I honestly think he was Top 10-12 on most boards and the media just didn’t like that he wasn’t flashy. 

Pretty conservative draft but three starters isn’t too shabby. 

33 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I know people probably laughed at the Raiders at #4 but Ferrell has been my #2 Edge all off season. He is an elite run defender and will get 8-10 sacks a year. He’ll never be a superstar, but he’s gonna be a dang good starter. I honestly think he was Top 10-12 on most boards and the media just didn’t like that he wasn’t flashy. 

Pretty conservative draft but three starters isn’t too shabby. 

Probably could have traded down and still got him though

55 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Not the ones left on ya board bro im talking the full rankings from the beginning on your board top to bottom before the draft started i want to see where you had everyone in the top 100 to 200 listed at or so if ya got that one.

4 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Probably could have traded down and still got him though

Maybe and maybe not im starting to get away from that you could have gotten him later thing because alot of the times i say that their are reports that come out a few days later with teams actually going to take the guy who got taken earlier than most of us expected like 3 or 4 picks later.  They have alot of intel on teams and alot of inside stuff that we don't have access too.  Like when we took Keanu Neal it was viewed as a full round reach but their was a team or 2 that said they were looking to get him a little after us if we hadn't taken him round 1 and same with Deion jones in round 2.   That worked out well for us in the long run even though us mock drafters viewed it as a reach but nfl teams had different values than us on them.   Also seen a interview a bit ago from Dan Quinn saying they had info that a few teams from 16 to 20 were looking to take Lindstrom and even texted him after we took him congratulating us on it and sending a few cuss words his way saying they was wanting him.   Once again this shows quite a few teams had Lindstrom higher than alot of us mockers and a few analysts did and actually rated higher than Ford who we all thought was a higher rated player who fell by every team.   It's sad how little info we know sometimes compared to the insiders on the teams and i wish i could get inside info just once lol

Archived