NFL Draft GDT: Day One (no spoiled picks!!)

Forge

3 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

the Texans made one of the worst picks in round 1. at least the 3 guys the giants picked where projected round 1.

It must be so frustrating down there. You have half of the puzzle fully solved, and through bad decision making - the other half is not coming together. OL is clearly part of the remaining puzzle, and  HOU have a deep OL class to shore it up - so in the middle of the first, they select a third round talent.......damn.

Just now, Hunter2_1 said:

It must be so frustrating down there. You have half of the puzzle fully solved, and through bad decision making - the other half is not coming together. OL is clearly part of the remaining puzzle, and  HOU have a deep OL class to shore it up - so in the middle of the first, they select a third round talent.......damn.

yeah the Texans board was pissed at the selection.  im actually shocked callers this morning on talk radio wasn't mad at the pick.  its not the fact we took him its the fact we took him round 1 and the eagles got the guy most people wanted a pick ahead of him.  howard would have certainly been there at pick 54 for the Texans. you expect your first rounder to contribute right away. howard probably wont even start for us year 1.

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Giants could have traded 17 for Rosen and picked Sweat at 6. Does that not look like a better day? 

Hell, they probably could have still had Jones at #17 and taken Josh Allen at #6.

29 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

yeah the Texans board was pissed at the selection.  im actually shocked callers this morning on talk radio wasn't mad at the pick.  its not the fact we took him its the fact we took him round 1 and the eagles got the guy most people wanted a pick ahead of him.  howard would have certainly been there at pick 54 for the Texans. you expect your first rounder to contribute right away. howard probably wont even start for us year 1.

I very seriously doubt the bolded.  Howard wasn't falling to 54.  No chance.  He's not the sort of prospect who slips.  He's the sort of guy who rises because a coaching staff are like, "heck year, we can fix that easy!  please don't fire us".

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I just did this Day 2 projection on likely picks for 32-40 on our home Forum - fans for ARI/IND/OAK/SF/SEA/TAM/JAX/BUF, tell me where I'm offbase!   I'm a BPA advocate, so I'm also trying to fit BPA/need where there's conflict - the thing is, unless you want a pass rusher, ILB or S, I don't think there's a huge gap yet.  So here goes....

------------

To start 2.33 I suspect ARI is locking onto IOL - Cody Ford to join Kyler?   That’s my feel.  

33. ARI - OL or WR, likely Ford IMO. 

34.  IND - CB seems the fit here.  

35.  OAK - CB / WR 

36.  SF - CB stands out, WR too. 

37.  SEA - pass rusher but unless they love Ferguson / Winovich this seems early.  WR the other area given they ignore IOL routinely. 

38-40 - TAM, JAX, BUF - now this is where T/IOL again really become glaring needs and BPA fits - TAM was in play for Williams at 1.5 but went Devin White instead.   Taylor / Risner seem like a great match.   JAX could go Irv Smith or WR but also invested in 2 rookie WR last year - seems more trenches will be their focus if it’s not TE.  Same for BUF with Irv Smith although WR is another BPA/need fit.   I do think Risner is a prime target there.  But I didn’t think Ford and Taylor would last this long so it could let Risner fall to us.   But if there’s an area to jump if Elway loves Risner that much it’s the 38-40 range. 

41. DEN - definitely wants IOL, CB or WR - this is a great fit with the big board.  Just a Q of who we want IMO.

The one X-factor I see - QB.  None of those teams want a QB.   But someone could trade up.   I kinda hope so since it’s likely for Lock lol.  Which only helps our board at 41. 

As for trades with DEN, the teams I think we’d likely target if we feel we need to move up - SF/SEA.   SF and we have a great relationship and find common ground.  SF wanting CB could drop back 5 spots.   If SEA wants pass rush and aren’t in love with 1 guy hard - moving back is a move they often make.  And it gets past the 38-40 range where IOL seems such a BPA/need perfect combo.  PIT targeted us because CIN was looking hard at Bush at 1.11.   The same idea applies here with us and IOL if we think there's a huge dropoff, or there's a guy we feel is just that much better of an impact guy.   Risner/Ford stand out in the IOL crowd, Byron Murphy at CB for a Fangio scheme, maybe Butler/Boykin could be that at WR (but it's so deep, I don't think DEN will reach up for WR, they may let a guy fall to them at 2.20 or 3.11). 

Before ppl ask why I cite need in the projections above since I’m a BPA advocate, even at this stage (until we’re somewhere in Rd3 in most draft obvious gaps are no longer usually there) - as per my Day 2-3 post the CB/WR/IOL guys really crowd the top of the big board with not much separation.  And QB is the one spot where need drives reaches.  For those teams need and BPA really fit well for what’s left, except if SEA wants pass rush help.

Anyways should be a fun ride Day 2.  I’ll be out watching Avengers until 9 PM ET - hopefully I’ll hear good news on our first 2nd rounder soon after!   What a weekend...

I wouldn't be shocked if Schneider trades back again lol.

3 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Anyone heard anything about the Giants potentially looking to trade Evan Engram?

No.  He's still on his rookie contract.  No reason to trade him unless you're getting insane value.  Like 1+.

3 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I gave them those grades because they gifted us Josh Allen. 

Lol. Apparently the craziness of the draft is rubbing off on me. 

As an aside, I really do think that the lack of Mayocks mock drafts have completely changed fan perception this year. He does tend to be a little more outside the box, and his board gets people thinking about different possibilities. Without him we are left with the mainstream draftnik opinion, which results in a ton a “reaches”...when in reality, maybe we’re just lacking Mayocks opinions. 

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Jaguars could go Irv Smith, but the way some of their brass have talked...it sounds like Hockenson was "The TE" for them.  They've made absolutely no overtures to hide that they're after both an OLineman (RT probs) and a TE on Day2.  

Man...Josh Allen plus Irv Smith sounds much better than Hockenson plus anything else I could conjure in round 2. What a steal 

9 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Man...Josh Allen plus Irv Smith sounds much better than Hockenson plus anything else I could conjure in round 2. What a steal 

Allen+Risner/Ford/Taylor+Knox sounds even better.

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

So surely Rosen's trade value is dropping every minute now as teams KNOW they need to trade him. Might have to wait until a QB gets injured in mini camp to maximise value.

WHY ARE TEAMS SO INEPT?!

or maybe no one offered any value for him?

you think teams were lining up to give us a 1st for him yesterday and then we drafted kyler and they said 'we believe rosen is a franchise qb but we refuse to give up more than a 3rd because you guys drafted Kyler'

c'mon bruh

rosen isn't that good, he has never shown to be an amazing prospect. the mistake was drafting him in the top ten last year

11 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

rosen isn't that good, he has never shown to be an amazing prospect. the mistake was drafting him in the top ten last year

I love that you use the word 'mistake' because Rosen himself said 'there were 9 mistakes in front of me' LOL 

No Josh, YOU were clearly the mistake

Archived