1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He also basically didn't play this week. 6 defensive snaps. 

Fascinating.  PFR has him at 14 snaps, but regardless of the difference it's still a small number.  Without that second watch I have no idea, any guesses as to why that is?  They played Fackrell 33 so they clearly wanted him on the field more.  I mean personally I'm higher on Fackrell than most, but they've been pretty consistent with trying to get Gary snaps and he needs them so strange switch here.  Although, they were running more 2-4-5 and 3-3-5 with Z at 3-tech right?  I thought I saw that somewhere, and certainly Fackrell makes more sense outside in those alignments as he's effective dropping.  Would love to be a fly on the wall when Mike Smith and Mike Pettine discuss this group.

2 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Fascinating.  PFR has him at 14 snaps, but regardless of the difference it's still a small number.  Without that second watch I have no idea, any guesses as to why that is?  They played Fackrell 33 so they clearly wanted him on the field more.  I mean personally I'm higher on Fackrell than most, but they've been pretty consistent with trying to get Gary snaps and he needs them so strange switch here.  Although, they were running more 2-4-5 and 3-3-5 with Z at 3-tech right?  I thought I saw that somewhere, and certainly Fackrell makes more sense outside in those alignments as he's effective dropping.  Would love to be a fly on the wall when Mike Smith and Mike Pettine discuss this group.

Because I'm an idiot who gets my PFR weeks mixed up. He played 14

Fackrell has been carry more snaps in the pressure package the last two weeks in a quasi ILB look. 

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Because I'm an idiot who gets my PFR weeks mixed up. He played 14

Fackrell has been carry more snaps in the pressure package the last two weeks in a quasi ILB look. 

OK, that's what I kinda figured was the case as that was my first blush impression from watching it live.  He was noticeably on the field more, and in all honesty he's a nice piece to have.  Not a lot of guys that can legitimately cover and rush, and it prevents us from having to drop Preston which is a huge waste.

Also I'm really glad to see the Smith's defense load coming down a bit.  Clearly we need them, but the fresher we can keep them and still win the better.

Trying to be as patient as I can with Gary. I've supported the pick since the start. But we really need him to start getting to the QB once in a while. Fackrell has returned to being Fackrell, a guy who might end up with 2 sacks this year and simply doesn't have the skills to win against tackles. We are getting absolutely nothing from Adams/Lowry in the pass rush and Clark must be hurt because he's a shell of his former self right now. 

The good news, we're 7-1 and the Smiths are carrying our front 7 on their backs. But how long can that last against the top teams? We need a reliable 3rd guy to be able to put heat on the QB. That should be the No. 12 pick in the draft. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Trying to be as patient as I can with Gary. I've supported the pick since the start. But we really need him to start getting to the QB once in a while. Fackrell has returned to being Fackrell, a guy who might end up with 2 sacks this year and simply doesn't have the skills to win against tackles. We are getting absolutely nothing from Adams/Lowry in the pass rush and Clark must be hurt because he's a shell of his former self right now. 

The good news, we're 7-1 and the Smiths are carrying our front 7 on their backs. But how long can that last against the top teams? We need a reliable 3rd guy to be able to put heat on the QB. That should be the No. 12 pick in the draft. 

Have you been watching Fackrell this season? I try to keep track of him, and he has been pretty good from what I have seen.  He just hasn't gotten home the way he did last season, which we all agreed was unsustainable success rate.  If he wasn't 67 years old, I would want the Packers to bring him back.  

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Have you been watching Fackrell this season? I try to keep track of him, and he has been pretty good from what I have seen.  He just hasn't gotten home the way he did last season, which we all agreed was unsustainable success rate.  If he wasn't 67 years old, I would want the Packers to bring him back.  

I don't dislike Fackrell or his role but he's more of a Brandon Chillar. Better utility guy than pass rusher.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I don't know what it is now, but after the first few weeks of the season, Fackrell had a higher pressure percentage than he did last year.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't know what it is now, but after the first few weeks of the season, Fackrell had a higher pressure percentage than he did last year.

Wasn't it abysmal last year? I think he had like 10 sacks and maybe 20 pressures. Had to be some kind of record. Again, I'm not a "cut Fackrell" guy, but this team really needs a number 3 to emerge. It would be nice to have a guy finish with 5 or so sacks not named Smith.

Last year, Clark had 6, Lowry had 3, Adams had 1.5 and Martinez had 5. All 4 are well off that pace, and sure maybe some of those potential sacks are going to the Smiths, but still. Who's going to be our No. 3?

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Fackrell's  pretty much a coverage sack guy but I expected better from him this season with the Smith's. I'm getting ready to agree with my signature which is very disappointing. I'm sick of watching Gary just run into Tackles and get stonewalled. The guy just doesn't know how to use his hands to turn the corner. 

from Ben Fennell via The Athletic

Rookie first-rounder Rashan Gary is up to 141 snaps in his young career, averaging around 15 snaps a game. Gary has flashed promise in small doses, but it’s important to remember that he isn’t being asked to be a major contributor and is only a depth/role player off the bench.

Gary is primarily playing as a DE or OLB off the edge of the line of scrimmage, but I’ve noticed select snaps with him moving around the defense as well.

Whether standing up in the A-gap or aligned as a 3-technique defensive tackle, I think moving Gary around and isolating him in mismatches could benefit his production. Gary also has been improving against the run each week. Being a strong run defender will get him more opportunities to rush the passer.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/11/05211752/2-RASHAN-GARY_1.mp4

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 2:16 PM, packfanfb said:

Clark is going through what BJ Raji went through: the stud on the line that has to carry much more weight than he should. If this keeps up, I wouldn't blame him for walking after his rookie deal...