Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

4 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

The Elite and Punk are to blame. Two combustible elements finally exploded.

Aew would be better off without Omega, Bucks, Cutler. Punk is bad but probably not as bad as the elite. According to Brian Last, there’s been other non public issues with the Elite and other people 

Ultimately, AEW could survive without all the above.  And with proper booking without them, they could thrive - despite a number of fanboys likely then going on a smear-and-whine campaign all over Reddit.  Anyone (and I've seen A LOT of it on Reddit the past several days) trying to sell themselves that Punk only has draw in Chicago and that's it, are kidding themselves.  That said, he's too volatile both emotionally and physically to be trusted with long-build storylines at this point.  Honestly, if I were Tony and I were going to keep him around (and could get him to check his ego - which is a big if), Punk has more value as a creative mind, coach, and backstage presence (I'd even argue commentator) than as an in-ring talent.

The Elite need to pick one or the other: Talent or executive.  You don't get to have both.  Even in the 80's when individual talent had the book and pencil, they did so with clear knowledge of who their boss was and that their boss had no qualms about taking that book away from them if anything untoward went down.

As Jericho had said in the scrum, they're at the two-year mark at this point, the time for being that cool guy who hooks your friends up with jobs because you can (especially when it's not your money that's at stake) isn't an option anymore.  Sentimental hires or hand-downs for "all they've done for the industry" don't do your company any good unless you can back that up with moving the needle financially.  (And hey, Chris isn't without sin in this either, he took advantage of this, too.)

But losing the Elite doesn't make AEW just some wayward home for ex-WWE guys the way post-Jarrett Impact did.  And that simultaneously also doesn't mean there's not juice to be squeezed from some of those ex-WWE guys - especially the ones who legitimately were done wrong by Vince because he didn't get them (or whatever other trivial reason he gave), because ultimately the percentage of crowd that wants to see BOTH companies (AEW and WWE) succeed - because it's what's best for all the talent involved - is larger than the niche that wants to see AEW thrive while WWE fails, so they can rub peoples' faces in it (like that's really gaining them anything more than looking like petty children).  AEW could have massive success with runs of giving (with all respect to the ROH title) Claudio or Miro their first major World Title run - with respect to either (but in particular Claudio) I'd put it akin to, had he not died, Chris Candido finally getting a well-earned World Title run in the 90's.

Speaking, just as an aside because it just occurred to me, with regard to a Wardlow WC run, even if/when he was deemed ready, I wouldn't pull the trigger on it until I had at least 6 months or more worth of opponents planned for him and at least 2 or 3 that could be presented as being legitimate threats to him.  For me, that would likely mean holding off until Hobbs was ready to be in a top-of-the-card feud as a challenger - and he ain't there yet; all the potential in the world for it, but he's still just scratching the surface.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Punk has more value as a creative mind, coach, and backstage presence (I'd even argue commentator) than as an in-ring talent.

Oh man, that would be a great way to bring him back early. So instead of missing him for 8 months (just taking the longest timeline) maybe you can cut that to 5, then bring him on commentary as he finishes rehab, and thats actually a great way to start his feud coming back. Some "perceived" trash talk during matches, that go into interviews and eventually turns physical (thats how you use real world events) just probably cant do it with the guys he actually talked about

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Darby is ready, but they should build to the payoff in a similar way to Rey's world title. The ultimate underdog. The big distinction should be that Darby just wont die 

Don't think he's ready but I do agree on the scenario he should win the world title.

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Darby is ready, but they should build to the payoff in a similar way to Rey's world title. The ultimate underdog. The big distinction should be that Darby just wont die 

The story is there though for him to do just that, you don't have to have a David vs Goliath physical situation for it to happen.  Darby was living out of his damn car when he signed for the company, took out a loan to support himself and to go pursue the shot with AEW when there were rumblings of it first starting up.  Max - kayfabe and not - has never wanted for money or opportunity.  Max has no qualms about taking whatever road is necessary to get ahead and to win - I'm fond of comic comparisons, and Max is 100% Emma Frost.  You don't payoff Darby's first shot at Max, hell you probably don't even pay off the second.  You make it to where Max makes Darby put up something utterly dear to him (I don't know what, but I'd go beyond a forced-retirement for Sting, though that could be a step along the way to double-down on Max's heat) in order to even get the opportunity.  Then you pay it off.  And you pay it off, not with a Coffin Drop, but by having Darby sell... and sell... and sell... and when Max is finally screaming at him to "Just die already!"  He pulls the Last Supper (or ideally some other submission that works a head or arm capture, since you'd want Max screaming down onto a prone Darby) and forces Max to quit.

39 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Sami/Bloodline stuff will be missed when it's gone

Yeah, but to be fair, if you're going to properly flip Sami face or even chaotic-neutral (which is more or less what KO is - he just gets cheered) after he's been working the s-bag conspiracy theorist gimmick for so long (this is, in my opinion, why Vince's heavy-handed approach to having Cole and others constantly bring up the buzzwords of the guy's gimmick multiple times every time they're on screen was harmful, it takes some effort to overwrite)... anyway, you need to have the bloodline really glaze him over something fierce - and we're talking kayfabe injury that keeps him off TV for close to a month.

I doubt Haytch will do it (though he does have the balls to do it if it were to occur to him) - I'd do a nod to El Generico by having Sami come back under the mask (but for God's sake don't have Cole/Graves/Byron whoever know the gimmick-name) to be a mystery/saving-grace tag partner for KO after the Usos have beaten down multiple potential tag partners to challenge for the titles that KO might have.

There's still a bit that I can't remember if Generico did in ROH or else on the indies, where someone kept ripping off his mask and he had another one underneath it every time.  I need to see that bit again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Yeah, but to be fair, if you're going to properly flip Sami face or even chaotic-neutral (which is more or less what KO is - he just gets cheered) after he's been working the s-bag conspiracy theorist gimmick for so long (this is, in my opinion, why Vince's heavy-handed approach to having Cole and others constantly bring up the buzzwords of the guy's gimmick multiple times every time they're on screen was harmful, it takes some effort to overwrite)... anyway, you need to have the bloodline really glaze him over something fierce - and we're talking kayfabe injury that keeps him off TV for close to a month.

I doubt Haytch will do it (though he does have the balls to do it if it were to occur to him) - I'd do a nod to El Generico by having Sami come back under the mask (but for God's sake don't have Cole/Graves/Byron whoever know the gimmick-name) to be a mystery/saving-grace tag partner for KO after the Usos have beaten down multiple potential tag partners to challenge for the titles that KO might have.

There's still a bit that I can't remember if Generico did in ROH or else on the indies, where someone kept ripping off his mask and he had another one underneath it every time.  I need to see that bit again.

Sami too good at facial expressions and comedic timing with his facial expressions to have his face covered up. There's arguably nobody better at facial expressions than Sami in wrestling. You want to cover that up so you can re-live an old bit? Shame on you.