Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

Aaaannnd there it is, the announcement for Final Battle for mid December.

and with Joe as the advertised guy. Feel like that’s where this Ring of Jericho is leading to.

He always made sense as the Final Boss for Jericho in this. The only question to me is, does Joe stop the Dishonor, or he the “final conquest” for Jericho just before they let the real center of the rebooted ROH get the rub from stopping Jericho

I would think it depends on the health of Adam Cole

It was inevitable that Jerry Lynn got involved. That’s a pretty good way to do it. 

Hope this does what they are intending it to. 

If they can get Dalton Castle, feels like they can get any of the non WWE former champs.

I’m now hoping that Nigel McGuinness makes an appearance in this angle. And if they do end up with a TV deal, I hope they pull him in as the color man on the announce team

I didn’t say anything last night, because without any real information it felt weird

Glad to hear Hangman is doing ok, and they did the right thing. But there’s always a worry with wrestling that someone thinks they could use this as a work. Would have been very disappointed if that was the case. 

15 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

God damn… give me all the Regal/MJF

THIS is how they should be using William Regal. Not for commentary for one match a show

(Yes Im quoting myself) 

So we have one month, 30 days from right now to build to the MJF title shot at Full Gear. And last night proved to me that Mox should really be nothing more than the Title holding pawn in this, while the actual vertical sparring should be with Regal.

Moxley can talk, dont get me wrong, but his style is just to crass and raw for what is need here. Where that exposed nerve in this battle needs to be MJF, and the counter point needs to be more measured and arrogant. Mox just cant do that well enough.

This has often become my own little RoH notebook, sorry for those of you who dont care about that, but I just like throwing my ideas somewhere;

So with the official announcement of Final Battle, and TK actually speaking of a plan for a weekly show to Sports Illustrated, this seems like its actually happening, and Im excited. As Ive said before, they already have the infrastructure to do this, and Id imagine they get to broadcast it on either Discovery or more likely TruTV. Hoping they go back to the late night Saturday night show, that TV time cant be all that valuable to WB/D. I would also run Dark/Elevation (whatever they land on calling it these days) but also a ROH streaming show as well. Call it ROH: Driven (an homage to an old PPV of theirs) or something like that. In this set up you would run both Dynamite and Rampage on Live TV for their respective nights, you can tape Dark and Driven on Wednesdays to run on YouTube the following week. But you can also Tape ROH before Rampage on Fridays, and package it to run Saturdays nights. 

As far as Final Battle, there are a few ways you can approach this PPV;

The one obvious way is to have it become ROH vs JAS. Obviously Jericho will be involved as the ROH Champ (dont see him dropping before then) and you could run 2.0 against FTR, or have them hook up with Hager go after the 6-Man Belts. Wouldnt be the best, but Anna Jay could go for the Womens Title, or even have both her and Tay in a Triple Threat to make Raquel (or whoever has it by December) look very strong. Danny obviously defending the PURE Title, and you still have Sammy that could take on Joe for the TV Title. Its the paint by numbers wrestling blueprint, and it can definitely work, but I think you are limiting your exposure for who will actually be part of the new show.

The other way to go is have The JAS involved in the Main Event, help sell that PPV, but in the under card really show off a bunch of wrestlers who will be moving over to the RoH brand. Im sure some would rather have a bunch of guys who were part of the previous iteration of the company, and some will likely be back, but this is about making the split between AEW and RoH (Id imagine it will be a mix of Raw/Smackdown and WWE/NXT where some of the bigger guys show up on both AEW and ROH, but they are truly split). Id run this show to set up the new ROH show coming in 2023

Pre-Show/Buy-In

• Danhausen v John Silver
    • I have come to love Danhausen, and I think he would be a guy who would move back and forth as a stunt pop in AEW when needed. But as a wrestler he fits better to me in ROH. And I would also position Dark Order to be a major component in ROH going forward as a force of chaotic good (maybe even chaotic neutral). Without Brodie they dont play as well in AEW, but could really run things in ROH. I would put them all over this card, getting them some shine as they look to take over ROH. Danhausen gets some good spots, including cursing Evil Uno, but Silver pulls the win here, looking like this might be the start of a great night for Dark Order.
  • Sarena Deeb v Willow Nightengale (Womens #1 Contender)
    • ROH could have a very interesting Womens Division. Not being bogged down by Jade and Britt would allow them to just focus more on the wrestlers. Glad Willow got signed, and as she learns she could turn into the biggest womens baby face on this brand, but to start I would set up the "Icewoman" Sarena Deeb (that should be her nickname) to be the first Heel contender for the title.
  • Ethan Page v Wheeler Yuta v Scorpio Sky v Colt Cabana (TV Title #1 Contender)
    • This is probably better than a few matches that will be on the card, but it would be the final draw in for the PPV, which is setting up the new TV show. These are all guys who could be major pieces to the new ROH. I actually would like Page to win this, but I think they want him in that AAC picture for AEW. This is where he can break off from Stokely, as he hasnt come through for him, falling short of his promises (The Firm guys come over to ROH). Yuta is a great piece for ROH, and can compete for any of their belts, he could really shine here (the BCC will stretch across both AEW/ROH). Cabana's involvement is obviously assuming he is going to be part of ROH, and ofcourse be part of DO. He is also in this match to take the pin (if hes out, sub in Stu Grayson). And in the end its Scorpio Sky, who has been lost in the shuffle of AEW, to get the win here, and be a real challenger for (and Id say next in line to win) the TV Title. 

Final Battle PPV

• Daniel Garcia v Lee Moriarty (PURE Championship)
    • Should be a very fun match with these two, and a great way to start the night, especially for the PURE Title. Garcia going on a run here, even as part of the JAS that represents in ROH for a while would be good for him and the title (gets extra shine on AEW). And I do like the future of Moriarty, maybe he is the next one, but not yet. This is also the foil to the Ethan Page angle, Stokely comes through for Lee, getting the title shot, and actually on the PPV. 
  • Samoa Joe v Jake Hager (TV Championship)
    • As part of the Ring of Jericho, this is the way he will combat Joe. With the stipulation that all the titles need to be defended tonight, Joe has to either drop the TV Belt, or defend it before taking on Jericho for the World Championship. Joe isnt willingly handing over his belt, so he gets this matchup with Hager (who gets in the match via JAS shenanigans). As Joe takes it to Hager and is about to win, Jake stoops to the disqualification, and beats on Joe with a chair, hampering him for the Title match later in the night
  • Christopher Daniels v Frankie Kazarian
    • Felt like there should be atleast one match that didnt have a title on the line tonight, and going with the old time, ROH stalwarts seemed like a good idea juxtaposed to all the JAS stuff, as a reminder of what is being celebrated here. Daniels is one of the guys I have always most identified with ROH, and while I probably hold Kazarian higher in that regard than most, he for sure will always be tied to Daniels at the least. Id have Kaz win, and be one of the elder statesmen of the new ROH (hoping that using Option C is the canary in the coal mine that hes coming back from Impact) and have Daniels be more of a figure head/GM or something. Just a fun match to run some old video packages, and remind everyone what ROH is all about
  • Dalton Castle & The Boys v Brian Cage & The Gates of Agony (6-Man Tag Championship)
    • I really like Dalton Castle, the Boys not as much, but they enhance his gimmick. Not enough to carry titles though. Feels like they are building Embassy as a credible threat for ROH, and getting Prince Nana some titles is the right move here. They probably fall short of Joe/FTR, but this could be the right route to go for them. It also frees up Castle to be a factor in the singles space.
  • Mercedes Martinez v Ruby Soho (Women's Championship)
    • Martinez has barely defended this title on anything higher than Dark, and that was back in like May? Just cant imagine shes the title holder they would really want going forward. On the other hand, they have had Soho spinning her wheels since coming over (some of that is injury related) but making her the 'main event' in the RoH womens division would do wonders for her, as well as set the standard for the division. Especially going from the size and power of Martinez to the technical abilities of Deeb.
  • FTR v Dark Order (Tag Team Championship)
    • FTR is the best, seems pretty universally agreed upon at this point, and they are obviously going to be hanging onto these titles here. They can put on an absolute banger with anyone, but against Dark Order (Pres10 and Reynolds) it doesnt have to be the best match of the night, just getting the crowd build back up for the Main Event next. This puts DO in the spotlight, and they can keep contending for these belts with different mixes. At some point, FTR does need to drop these belts, and it should be due to interference from some other Tag Team, who is angling for one of their other sets of titles (Im not sure anyone that will be in ROH can be believably built to take them out clean)
  • Chris Jericho v Samoa Joe (ROH World Championship)
    • The result in this Main Event is obviously dependent on if you have a final ace up your sleeve to take the Belt of Jericho once ROH gets on weekly TV (Ill keep pushing the idea of Adam Cole till I hear he physically cant) But with Joe already going through a match with Hager, with the JAS likely being involved ringside, its all just too much for him to overcome. Jericho claiming he has conquered the final worthy ROH Challenger, the JAS all get in the ring to beat down Samoa Joe. But ofcouse to send the crowd home happy, we have the save made. You can either have a collection of faces that are ROH affiliated (FTR, BCC members, Danhausen, etc) or you can let The Dark Order redeem their night, and be the ones who come out and clear off the JAS. Almost making them the protectors of the 'ROH way', and we can run them against the JAS to build them back up as a strong faction. 
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 1:13 PM, StLunatic88 said:

(Yes Im quoting myself) 

So we have one month, 30 days from right now to build to the MJF title shot at Full Gear. And last night proved to me that Mox should really be nothing more than the Title holding pawn in this, while the actual vertical sparring should be with Regal.

Moxley can talk, dont get me wrong, but his style is just to crass and raw for what is need here. Where that exposed nerve in this battle needs to be MJF, and the counter point needs to be more measured and arrogant. Mox just cant do that well enough.

They should double turn.

8 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Big Cass looks to be in way better shape than he ever was in WWE. They should build him up as a threat to Wardlow.

He looks great, he should be a threat to Everyone. But hes stuck in this tacked on 'Firm' thing, where it seems like it was to focus on Ethan Page (good move) but they signed Morrissey and shoved him in there too, now he overshadows the rest of the group.

I would have had him go with the "I do whatever the hell I want" gimmick, destroy plenty of guys, interrupt matches, and not have a reason for doing so for a while. Its like the anti-Goldberg, not winning any matches, just causing havoc

Edited by StLunatic88

Really enjoyed Dynamite last night. 

Very good match between JAS and BCC. Lead to some good old school storytelling. I really like where this Danielson/Yuta stuff is going. Thats a potential MOTN on any show (including Full Gear). Danielson beating Sammy unconscious was a good move, he needs this edge so hes not just a bland babyface. 

Im alittle surprised they had Jericho open up to "any" Champion from ROH past, curious to see who they have for that. It seems like it wouldnt be one of the previous World Champs, because then there is no reason for the caveat

FTR vs Swerve/Lee was awesome. Its crazy that FTR isnt on more shows. And not only the match (which was great with the Swerve low blow) but The Acclaimed taking a seat was a nice touch, and the Gunn's ringside/holding back Cash was very good. (side note: the Gunn's interference should be the way they pull the ROH titles off FTR). Another Acclaimed/Glory match will be good, I hope this is the catalyst of the Swerve and Lee breakup though. Thats a long story that can be told, and those two should have some great matches.

I dont have much to say about the womens match, but Jamie Hayter is a star in the making. I dont know why they are so hesitant to run the Hayter/Baker showdown? They should actually have one pin the other in a multi-woman match for the #1 Contenders match, and not just the tease of it and then backed off. Unless they are worried Hayter is going to outshine Britt (which she will)...

Im alittle confused on what were going for with Eddie Kingston? Can anyone explain it to me?

Darby Allin was right about himself in that interview he did. He needs to go away for alittle bit. I really like him as a wrestler, and his character can keep going, but he has just been overexposed at this point. Let us want you back, it wouldnt be that long, but let him refresh and separate from Sting. Maybe let Sattnam put him on the shelf? Give him something/anything to be imposing?

The main event was all fine and good for a wrestling match, but I have to ask, why does Penta get a title shot? I know Mox is a "fighting champ" and I know the rankings are mostly gone, but again why is it a title match? Have the match, but dont have the belt on the line, say a title shot is on the line or something. Its one of those things that make it hard when a babyface is Champ. Happened with Cena all the time.

I sort of said it in my last post, I dont enjoy the Firm enough to have them involved at the main event level. It was a fine thing to put together, it made sense to give them the rub of helping MJF, but I just dont by that they are a major threat, even as 7 guys. Not to mention them trying to sell Stokely as smart enough and conniving enough to "get one over" on MJF because he fired them, even though it was described as a loose arrangement. Its a mid-tier gimmick, that would work well there, but shotgunning them in the middle of what should be a great program on its own, just doesnt feel right.

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Im alittle surprised they had Jericho open up to "any" Champion from ROH past, curious to see who they have for that. It seems like it wouldnt be one of the previous World Champs, because then there is no reason for the caveat

I took a quick look to make a guess, If its a former PURE Champ, they are all mostly World Champs as well, other than Yuta and Woods (would be disappointing) but I guess it could be Doug Williams? If we look at the 6-man champs, that brings in Vincent (who I believe left Impact when the rest of The Kingdom did?). Youre not likely bringing in Marty Skrull, but could potentially have it be Brodie King who has been MIA. It also brings in Kazarian and Scorpio Sky (Id enjoy that). And if you go with the standard Tag Team Champs, that opens up a whole bunch of guys, I guess you could do one of the MCMGs (Amercan Wolves both would fall under the World Title already) Matt Sydel or Matt Hardy would fall under disappointing, Colt Cabana alittle less so. And I guess someone like Amazing Red or Ricky Romero would suffice. And TV champs, Dragon Lee, Rhett Titus and Kenny Young would fall under tag champs as well, but dont seem likely. I hope its not Ishii or Sazuki(just not my style), Could they have it be Jeff Cobb? already have that relationship. And while the dream for opening this up is Will Osprey, just cant see that happening, for multiple reasons.

So ultimately, my guess for opening it up this way is they bring in Chris Hero.

He was almost a Labor of Jericho, dont think he has signed with anyone recently, and would be a good hand if they are kicking off ROH again. He could also rejoin with Claudio, and you immediately have a great Tag Team that is formidable as full time ROH guys, and could believably pull the titles off of FTR. Then immediately pivot to the rest of the division on ROH.

In the end, this is a complete guess though.