Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Just turning her into Super Cena of the women's division. 

Which, honestly, isn't a terrible thing, considering that Hunter isn't like Vince and won't have qualms about having her pull the (hyper-impactful) heel turn when the time calls for it.

16 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Amazing way to bring back Wyatt.  Amazing

Pretty much.  The Fiend is tainted by Vince at this point, but the positive to that is that you can literally just let Vince take the blame in silence for all of where that character tanked (merch sales aside), regardless of what was his idea and what was Bray's.

But Bray Wyatt coming back was always going to get a face pop out of the gate, regardless.  Doesn't mean you can't at some point take him heel, but you don't have to because the original character was never a true heel - he was a self-fixated neutral (if you go by the classic definition of "how the character interacts with the crowd" as opposed to "what reaction they illicit from the crowd").  The unmasked Bray was the one that the majority of us wanted back anyway.  Ad in this sense, he really is "the one who destroyed the world"... the world of the Fiend, of the Firefly Funhouse, (I'll be honest, and in a way, despite them having Borash backstage now, hopefully a sharp curtailing on the amount of cinematic-style matches - barring an occasional Boneyard Match type) so a destruction of that world, too.

And maybe I'm thinking a little too much like I'm fairly confident Kevin Sullivan would have looked at this and started spinning, but that "destroyed the world" bit fits in amazingly well with Bray's previous allusions to being an "eater of worlds," if and when they ever do take him full-fledged heel - at which point I'd still keep him (and this is definitely right in Bray's wheelhouse) as a Negan-styled villain.

So, a couple thoughts on how I'd book a "swampish" Bray moving forward:

- Bray was always best as a head of heavies - the fact that each member of the Wyatt family had a stature notably larger than his own always gave him a big boss feel.  That said, Bray doesn't need to be an out-and-out heel as I stated above, and considering that I'd keep him far away from the big titles as long as I could (he doesn't need them; he's very much in the Taker/Piper/Andre vein where he'll draw without the title and the title doesn't really do much more than complicate him and his stories), you just want him to be a force.

- With the above in mind, if I'm putting anyone with him it's in the vein of a Von Wagner, Killian Dain (bring him back, Hunter liked him, he and Nikki are married and spouses always tend to matriculate back - and he's a great example of how with Bray as the mouthpiece, his "cultists," for lack of a better word, don't have to speak so them being foreigners doesn't really matter as much as aesthetically fitting), Dijakovic (though he may be too clean-cut, and honestly I feel like there's better potential for him as a singles babyface), Rowan (if he's brought back).  Gacy is shorter than Bray and next to him looks visibly smaller, which is why I'd hold off from it despite people wanting to match up the gimmicks lazily - honestly I'd pull the Dyad guys (former Grizzled Young Veterans) and put them with Bray before I'd put Gacy with him or even Brendan Vink (Duke Hudson) who may still be too clean cut, but if he grows out his facial hair, it could work too, though he is a bit too pretty to be backwoods.  One other I'd throw in as a near-future possibility, with obvious contingencies needing to be met, would be Buddy Murphy if he does come back eventually; I think it's smart to keep him and Aleister apart assuming both do come back, and Murphy works a strong enough style even as a "light-heavyweight" guy that he could still fit in as a later addition to the group.

- If you're going to give the faction a female, either she's a non-competitor or she needs to have some good size to her too - this is why I feel like Alexa and Nikki Cross really don't work.  Maybe, instead, you rebrand Doudrop.  But realistically, if you're going to have one that's a competitor, you need her to be able to stand eye-to-eye across from a Rhea Ripley, Tamina, or Raquel Rodriguez and not look diminutive.  Or else just don't have one that's a competitor at all, because you don't need one.

- You don't bring back "The Fiend," you give it some other term (The Fiend is fruit of the poisoned tree at this point), but you treat him breaking out the mask for particular marquee matches, similar to how Finn did with The Demon.  (Eventually, you can even finally build to a super card Demon vs Bray showdown).

Love that he’s back, enjoyed the buildup. But I feel like Bray saw that all coming of just a bit more “theatrically” than it did. But I think they did just fine with the constraints of a wrestling show. 

I think it will be a long, long, long time till we see Bray involved with a title, both he and Hunter have to know that was the biggest issue last time.

I don’t think we are clear of the Fiend, I mean they showed him amongst the Funhouse characters, he’s not being shelved. But I do think what I said before, about the masked stable is going to be a thing for Bray. I just really hope they don’t pin them on any particular wrestler. Them being treated as “supernatural” and not actually followers of Bray’s is the best way to go. 

That also leaves the possibility of a Cult stable on the table down the road once he needs to intensify his destruction

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 1

It was very cool to see AEW in Canada, that crowd was on fire

-It is also very cool to see Renee join the company. At the very least she will really help fix the Backstage interviews, which were lacking to say the least. But I really hope they adjust the Announce teams. I dont mind the rotating a bit amongst the matches, but we are way too often getting 4 person announce teams. I LOVE Regal, but him being out there for every BBC match is losing its luster.

-I was so excited for the Jungle Boy angle, and yea Christians injuries are a tough break, but I really feel like we are just spinning our wheels at this point. Something needs to happen here.

-I love some QT Marshall, completely unironically. Wrestling needs these guys and factions like The Factory. We need to always appreciate them. He also points out the dumb stuff in wrestling too, because lets be honest "WarJoe" is the epitome of lazy. It would be fine for that to be a chant, but to officially name them that, ehhh

-Ive said it a few weeks now, but the Embassy/ROH stuff is great. Its simple, old school wrestling. Plus it was nice to see Spears back as Perfect 10. Fits very well with FTR as we all know. (he'd be another guy who could be a center piece of a ROH reboot)

-Hoestly it was fun to see Billy Gunn in action again. Dont need it alot, but it was a very good way for Swerve to get some momentum back. The Acclaimed are so over its great. But they just have no idea what to do with Mark Sterling, he could be great, but needs something better to work with than this "Trademark" stuff (and probably someone more prominent than Tony Nese)

-Wow, that was something form Adam Page. Im excited for the match next week. But it still feels weird to have MJF just hanging out in the club seats, lugging around the poker chip. Although I am excited to see him sever ties with Stokley (although I wouldnt hate if he pulled W. Morrissey, could run something different than what they did with Wardlow)

-Never expected Jericho to drop the ROH Title, but man that crowd was more behind him than I expected. But they definitely got me with another Garcia turn, not sure I like it, we'll have to see where this leads now. (I was hoping they would trim down the JAS) 

-I wont care about the Womens Division until they give me a reason to, I fast forward these segments every week. (although the stolen TBS Title is the first fresh thing they have done in ages)

-I said they were going to pull one of the titles off of Pac, and it would go to the Best Friends, but I am (pleasantly?) surprised that they took the AAC off of him. Im personally happy to see Orange Cassidy get this win, guy is so much fun AND can go. Dont imagine this is a super long run with this belt, feels like it will move over to another International star in short order. BUT, I'll say this again, this ending felt like another step in a "Hammer on a Pole" match between OC and Pac, and I do not see how I will enjoy that.

A few Rampage thoughts as well

-this is what I was talking about with Regal, did we need him on commentary for this meaningless tag match? Save that for bigger moments, have him stand ringside for these

-Nice to see Dark Order expanding again, feels like they would be a great faction for ROH (maybe even give them the 6 Man Tag belts for a while

-Speaking off, great to see them bring in Dalton Castle and the Boys. Really like how they are committing to the Ring of Jericho thing and getting the former champs in. Not just those in AEW

-not sure what they are doing with The Firm stuff, not sure I care. But I do like Ethan Page getting back in TV.

-The Kingdom coming in is interesting (Gives Jericho another RoJ opponent) but as they keep bringing all these people in (possibly Bandido as well) it feels like it has to be for a ROH split. 

Im really setting myself up for major disappointment when this RoH thing doesn’t happen arent I?