The Batman

Acgott

Im gonna watch it again this weekend to see how it is upon 2nd viewing.   Numerous DC offerings, like Man of Steel, Dark Knight Rises and Wonder Woman fell significantly after watching them the 2nd time.    I dont see that happening with this movie, but we'll see.

On 4/19/2022 at 11:18 AM, Matts4313 said:

One persons "pretty much even" is another persons "clean sweep higher rated everywhere"

Meh. I still enjoyed it more. The acting overall is better. Bruce in this Batman is just a pouty goth kid who doesnt talk. 

Like I said, I will rewatch and see if it grows on me. But on first watch through, it seems to be getting overhyped on this site from the pretty good tier to amazing. 

And back in 08 people on here were calling The Dark Knight the greatest movie of all time lol.

It currently sits at #3 ALL TIME on the IMDB Top 100.

No movie has ever been more overhyped than Dark Knight. It's fine. It's not the cinematic masterpiece people make it out to be.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

And back in 08 people on here were calling The Dark Knight the greatest movie of all time lol.

It currently sits at #3 ALL TIME on the IMDB Top 100.

No movie has ever been more overhyped than Dark Knight. It's fine. It's not the cinematic masterpiece people make it out to be.

TDK is a great movie. So your point is kinda invalid.

After watching this for a 2nd time, while solid, TDK and Batman Begins kick the **** out of this movie.  I'd say it's on tier with Rises.  Both have their flaws, both have some great moments, although I think the villains are better in Rises.  This one had a better catwoman.

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

TDK is a great movie. So your point is kinda invalid.

TDK - like 90% of Nolan’s movies - has dumb plot holes, drags severely at points, has way too much exposition and has downright bad dialogue.

It isn’t great, it’s fine

It almost entirely rides the back of a single performance with Ledger...atmosphere, cinematography, believable action and editing are all way better in The Batman

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

After watching this for a 2nd time, while solid, TDK and Batman Begins kick the **** out of this movie.  I'd say it's on tier with Rises.  Both have their flaws, both have some great moments, although I think the villains are better in Rises.  This one had a better catwoman.

This.

4 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

TDK - like 90% of Nolan’s movies - has dumb plot holes, drags severely at points, has way too much exposition and has downright bad dialogue.

It isn’t great, it’s fine

It almost entirely rides the back of a single performance with Ledger...atmosphere, cinematography, believable action and editing are all way better in The Batman

preach christina aguilera GIF

• Like 1

Its crazy how overrated Nolan is.    Its not even that I dislike his movies.   I at least like most of them....but people laughably ignore how logically flawed and terribly written alot of his stuff is, and put him on a pedestal he has no business being on.

I dont care if people like the Nolan films more than this....I can even see a case for Begins and TDK....but as much as I like them, they do get overrated.

Begins because it saved Batman after ut was destroyed via Batman and Robin, and made people take comic movies seriously.

TDK due to hype and Heath Ledgers performance (and this is my favorite Batman movie).

Rises because the first two were great so people outright ignore how absolutely and laughably nonsensical much of the movie was.   Hardy was pretty awesome, tho.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 43M said:

Its crazy how overrated Nolan is.    Its not even that I dislike his movies.   I at least like most of them....but people laughably ignore how logically flawed and terribly written alot of his stuff is, and put him on a pedestal he has no business being on.

I dont care if people like the Nolan films more than this....I can even see a case for Begins and TDK....but as much as I like them, they do get overrated.

Begins because it saved Batman after ut was destroyed via Batman and Robin, and made people take comic movies seriously.

TDK due to hype and Heath Ledgers performance (and this is my favorite Batman movie).

Rises because the first two were great so people outright ignore how absolutely and laughably nonsensical much of the movie was.   Hardy was pretty awesome, tho.

Oh My God Omg GIF by Yellowstone

what actors do you guys want to see join this world? I noticed this had 3 actors from the HBO Chernobyl series and WB being teamed with HBO. I can see some more actors from that show showing up in the films and shows. Skargard would make for a great Mr Freeze, but I think he might be to old for the role. Jared Harris could make for a good Hugu Strange.  Jessie Buckley who's a rising star could make for a great poison Ivy(also would love to see riley keough do Poison Ivy). Crhistopher Abbot is another talented actor on the rise who I'd like to see as Harvet Dent/Two-face.

10 hours ago, August4th said:

what actors do you guys want to see join this world? I noticed this had 3 actors from the HBO Chernobyl series and WB being teamed with HBO. I can see some more actors from that show showing up in the films and shows. Skargard would make for a great Mr Freeze, but I think he might be to old for the role. Jared Harris could make for a good Hugu Strange.  Jessie Buckley who's a rising star could make for a great poison Ivy(also would love to see riley keough do Poison Ivy). Crhistopher Abbot is another talented actor on the rise who I'd like to see as Harvet Dent/Two-face.

Love seeing Riz Ahmed in stuff, would be down for him as whatever. But him as a younger Freeze would be an ok fit.

Mark Rylance as The Ventriloquist is a slam dunk casting. Would be a great character to open up the “what the hell is going on” side to this universe. Have him vie for taking control of the vacuum the mob left

Alex Lawther for Mad Hatter, was tempted to say Radcliffe getting his CBM role. Lawther is a good fit for a big eyed creep, the excitability should be a shade of that for him though. Young blonde-haired girls go missing, Bats has been on the trail for weeks. Finally finds Jervis with the twins from the first one dressed and Tweedle-dee and Tweedle-dum. An off screen case that starts the movie.

Eddie Redmayne would fit Hatter too in a bigger role, but could very easily be your Scarecrow, same for David Tennant.

Zahn McClarnon as Deacon Blackfire. A cult leader taking charge and advantage of the homeless of Gotham after the flood fits in well. Fun actor.

David Costabile as Calendar Man, always nice seeing him pop up in things. From Flight of the Concords to Breaking Bad and on, can be so sweet while being nefarious. I don’t think they’ll do him but a fun little role could be had there, even if it’s just in a spin-off show.

Jodie Comer / Mackenzie Davis as Ivy, Anya Taylor Joy works too…maybe a bit on the nose…actually would be down for any of them being a gender swapped Firefly. Easy to see why a young woman would have a strong urge to burn groups down as well as big parts of the city.

Would be fun to see some other get something Bill Hader (watch Barry), Daniel Kaluuya, Jesse Plemons. Multiple fits, Electrocutioner for Plemons maybe.

Toni Collette, Domhnall Gleeson, Fassbender. John David Washington maybe up for Dent, can’t say I’ve seen him show the Two-face level of emotion yet.

Jamie Dornan has impressed more and more, could be a Hush fit maybe, as well as Dent. J

Pool of characters I’d like to see outside of those listed about Maxie Zeus, Jane Doe, Professor Pyg, Talon & The Court of Owls (third film), Zsasz, Hugo Strange.

• Like 1

I went in with modest expectations at best but it was better than I thought it would be.  It felt like an Elseworlds tale of an alternate world with Batman characters.  I liked the storyline but the script and cliched dialogue were really tough to listen to at times. "I am vengeance."  lol sometimes these things sound better on the comic book page than they do out loudd.  Watchmen proved that.

I was pleasantly surprised to find Pattinson went past the emo (the trailers really leaned into that) and right into the strong silent type that Bale did well.   I remember Pattinson in an interview being dismissive of getting bulked up and into shape for these types of films but it looks like he found a nice balance.  He's an underrated actor and while he's not who I would have picked, he gave a solid performance of this version of Bruce.  AND he kept his mask on more than most of these other (actors) heroes do these days.

The set and production designs were excellent and made for some great shots and locations.  Gotham City was the best version since Tim Burton's.  The suit looked amazing at times and other times it looked like cosplay.  You can tell they stressed maneuverabilty over the look of it and that Reeves really wanted to ground Batman into reality in a way that Nolan completely nailed.  Except Reeves overcompensated and lost a lot of the Batman magic in the process.  

Most characters felt like lite versions of themselves.  Kinda like a bootleg Batman movie except it actually had the licensed characters.  I feel like this movie captured the Gotham PD on a macro and micro level (the corruption and animosity) better than any other Batman movie.  I was underwhelmed by Gordon at first despite but their chemistry and relationship turned out to be one of the best parts of the movie.  Sarsgard was great as the creepy DA.  Turturro was good as Falcone.  

And while Colin Farrell's transformation into Penguin looks remarkable and he gave a good performance, the result didn't land for me.  This Oz had moxie but he wasn't Penguin except in name and felt like a **** Tracy character.  But that's also how this film sorta went across the board with alternate versions of characters.

Selina was pretty nondescript and there wasn't much chemistry.  Riddler had a Se7en serial killer vibe to him which worked very well.   I def preferred the greeting card riddles to the fancy green suits with ?'s all over them Riddler lol.  The manipulation of social media was well done and there were several instances of the movie reminding us this is a modern day technology Gotham City.  Serkis gave us the Alfred that's still a soldier just now in a different war.

The 3rd act, like TDK, was where it went off the rails.  The VM followed by the interrogation of Kenzie was the worst exposition dump I've ever seen in a movie lol.  Took me completely out it tbh.  And my goodness like seminoles said, this movie was way too long and could've used a half hour chopped off at least.

There were some really cool action sequences.  The dark hallway fight illuminated by the sparks bursts of gunfire was awesome.  Would've liked to see more Batarangs etc and the final sequence at the Gotham's version of MSG was all over the place.

Speaking of... I wasn't impressed by the score and WTF was that Vader's March knockoff piece playing while they were fighting on the Jumbotron????

I feel like there was a better movie in here but it needs a better cut. And the scene with Joker was so bad that I woke my wife up from me laughing so hard lol.  I might circle back to this movie at some point but I'm not sure it will have the replay value that others in the franchise might have.  Or it might be a let me jump to certain scenes kinda rewatches.

I have these 3 tiers:

Batman
Batman Returns
Batman Begins

TDK
The Batman
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman vs Superman

Batman Forever
Batman & Robin

Best Gotham City:

1- Burton