Who is poised to be your teams breakout player?

RaidersAreOne

Mark Andrews was a pretty exciting playmaker as a rookie at a position where rookies rarely produce. I have really high hopes for him and I think he's going to establish himself as one of the best receiving tight ends in the league in the coming year. Even though our passing volume isn't likely to be huge, he's going to have the opportunity given the fact that our receivers are all JAGS or rookies and Lamar likes working the middle of the field with his tight ends. I expect to see us use a lot of multiple TE sets with Hurst lined up inside and Andrews splitting out wide where he can be a matchup nightmare given his size and speed and I can see him becoming our de-factor #1 receiving option. 

On defense, we got younger and more athletic this offseason so there are going to be a lot of opportunities for guys to break out given the big-name departures. If I had to pick out one guy it'd be Peanut Onwausor, he came on really strong at the end of last season as a playmaker and is ready to jump into a bigger role on defense with Mosley leaving. ILB is a position we've traditionally developed really well at and I suspect Peanut is going to the latest in that assembly line of Pro Bowlers. 

Other guys to consider: Lamar Jackson if you count him, I don't think he's going to be elite or anything but he's going to make bigger strides as a passer than most are expecting. Tim Williams has shown flashes so far and is going to have every opportunity to break out as a pass rusher this year; maybe they'll both suck but I feel like one of him or Tyus Bowser is bound to take advantage of the chance they'r getting. Marlon Humphrey is already a star so he's not exactly a breakout candidate but another year like he had last year might have people finally talking about him in the elite circles that he already belongs. 

• Like 2

I would agree that Anthony Harris is a candidate for the Vikings but my vote would go towards Brian O'Neill.  He actually played better than I had anticipated as a rookie last year.  I think with that season of competition plus an offseason of development is going to put him a good spot.  RT isn't the sexiest pick for a breakout player but any development along our OL will be much wanted.

Otherwise, I would go with one of the late round receivers taken recently.  Treadwell is most likely getting finished as a training camp cut and I think someone like Dillon Mitchell can flash some talent early in his career.

Was thinking Robby or Leo Williams. But then realize Darnold.

Our OC was surprisingly poor last year. Kind of unbelievable bad actually. Our offense was so vanilla, it seemed like DBs knew the routes WR were running and guys couldn’t get any separation. Gase should hopefully be an upgrade from a schematic standpoint. Plus we’ve added Crowder and Bell which should give Darnold some safety valves where he doesn’t have to take so many chances on his 3 or 4 read.

Center is still a question mark but not having a guy snap curveballs should help at the minimum. 

His play down the stretch last year was really good. I think PFF had him as the number 1 graded QB the last 4 games. And that was against good defenses in Buffalo, Houston and New England.

Edited by SDotNova

Has Derrick Henry broken out yet? What do others think of him? If not, I’d go with him. The OL should be greatly improved adding Saffold and getting rid of Kline. Conklin is fully healthy and if he’s not back to himself, Kelly can come in and start with no issues. Plus getting Delanie back should help the run game big time. Henry the last 4 games was insane and should’ve been used well before that but early in the season, Lewis was getting workhorse RB carries. To me, the offense should run through Henry. If he gets the space, no one is going to be able to tackle him in the open field.

On 5/23/2019 at 4:07 PM, BaltimoreTerp said:

Other guys to consider: Lamar Jackson if you count him, I don't think he's going to be elite or anything but he's going to make bigger strides as a passer than most are expecting. Tim Williams has shown flashes so far and is going to have every opportunity to break out as a pass rusher this year; maybe they'll both suck but I feel like one of him or Tyus Bowser is bound to take advantage of the chance they'r getting. Marlon Humphrey is already a star so he's not exactly a breakout candidate but another year like he had last year might have people finally talking about him in the elite circles that he already belongs. 

Lamar hasn't broke out yet so he is certainly a candidate.

Humphrey is also a candidate. I know Ravens fans think he is elite and one of the best but he hasn't started more than 8 games in either season and had 2 interceptions each year so a lot of people don't know much about him yet which is a sign he hasn't broken out. Once he makes all pro or even pro bowl then it is probably too late to get on board with him.

• Like 1