Put your name to the one coach you want.

hornbybrown

Tbh what I really want is a Tomlin type of hire. He was a nobody on a national level but those that know football knew he could maintain or build a culture, which you need in your HC. Good enough within the 60 minutes also. I don’t care how good of a coordinator our head coach is assuming he’s not running that side of the ball.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 2

I don't have one. There are a ton of names floating around that have their pros and cons. I'm not familiar enough with it all yet to know more than...

Stefanski is a solid candidate who would mesh well with the analytics side of the FO.

I'm nervous about McCarthy "reinventing himself". People don't usually change.

Rivera might be the most high floor/low ceiling choice. I'm not against it though.

McDaniels is a gamble, but a very talented one. I mean, the dude took a Tim Tebow team to the playoffs, but he was also the reason they HAD Tim Tebow as their starting QB. The personality stuff is concerning. Backing out on Indy doesn't HUGELY concern me because that HAD to be "well crap, I just talked to my franchise QB and the dude sounds like he doesn't want to play anymore." It's rough, but not a total "off my list" concern.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Tbh what I really want is a Tomlin type of hire. He was a nobody on a national level but those that know football knew he could maintain or build a culture, which you need in your HC. Good enough within the 60 minutes also. I don’t care how good of a coordinator our head coach is assuming he’s not running that side of the ball.

This...

Think about the vision it took for Ozzie Newsome to hire John Harbaugh as Head Coach;

Think about the vision it took for Kevin Colbert to hire Mike Tomlin as Head Coach.

Who are we going to hire that can compete with the year in and year out program/culture building and sustaining that those two elite leaders are able to do?

That's the question. Not who's name is buzzing in coaching firm circles, or who's currently is doing well as a coordinator this year in football.

.. all I want... the best HEAD COACH...Culture/Program/Habits Builder and Leader...

F-Everything else...

Is it so much to ask??? Why do these owners suck at this so bad...

Is Robert Saleh ... or Greg Roman going to compete with Harbaugh and Tomlin? F-no..

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

This...

Think about the vision it took for Ozzie Newsome to hire John Harbaugh as Head Coach;

Think about the vision it took for Kevin Colbert to hire Mike Tomlin as Head Coach.

Who are we going to hire that can compete with the year in and year out program/culture building and sustaining that those two elite leaders are able to do?

That's the question. Not who's name is buzzing in coaching firm circles, or who's currently is doing well as a coordinator this year in football.

.. all I want... the best HEAD COACH...Culture/Program/Habits Builder and Leader...

F-Everything else...

Is it so much to ask??? Why do these owners suck at this so bad...

Is Robert Saleh ... or Greg Roman going to compete with Harbaugh and Tomlin? F-no..

Cool, name that guy.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Cool, name that guy.

Yeah, there's no guy who's going to be a for sure home run hire.

A guy like McCarthy, Rivera, Caldwell, etc. is a safe pick. They're solid to good head coaches, but no one is going to confuse them as being elite coaches. We could take the safe approach (which I'm not against), but those are lower ceiling coaches. McDaniels has HC experience, but he's still less of a sure thing than those other coaches, but you could argue that he has a higher ceiling to be a great coach.

Someone like Stefanski strikes me as a guy that would be a swing or a miss hire. He's a total unknown as a HC, so we could hire him and maybe he ends up being an elite HC, or maybe he ends up being another failure for us. Definitely high risk/high reward. If it's up to Dorsey, I think he'd prefer to go the safe route. DePodesta might be more willing to take a gamble on a guy like Stefanski.

I think the funny part is how much people put stock in finding “an elite coach” but not being an elite organization.

It’s no mistake the same teams seem to struggle year in year out while others are consistently competitive.

Is a head coach part of that? Sure.  But teams like the Steelers and Ravens transition from one coach to another and don’t skip a beat.

We on the other hand have hired half the qualified candidates available over the last decade and apparently they’re all idiots because they didn’t work out here.  

Im just saying, google Occam’s razor.

Until the garbage at the top is gone, we’re ****ed.

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

He can’t.

Nobody can, that’s my point.

There’s no such thing as a “proven culture builder capable of leading a franchise, etc” working as a coordinator or coach.  If they were “proven” they’d have a HC gig already and be killing it.

Every one of these guys is gamble for one reason or another.

I don’t disagree with him that we need a guy who can lead and delegate and organize more than we do an x’s and o’s coach, but it’s a whole lot easier to say that than it is to identify that guy.

That’s why teams are so bad at it.

And owners like Jimmy Haslam could ruin a wet dream.

Tougher competition for us this year as far as getting the pick of the litter with coaches. 

This year we are up against the Giants, Cowboys and Redskins just for starters. These teams are storied Franchises with huge resources in really big markets. Last year was the year to get this right. Not saying we can’t do it this year but competition is far tougher. We were the best gig last season 

3 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

If McDaniels wants his guy as GM hopefully if he is our choice we could have a structure where Dorsey is president of football operations and McDaniels guy reports to Dorsey. 

Id like that, but i doubt it. He will want to be bill jnr, like everyone who comes out of ne