Is Drew Brees overrated?

rocky_rams

Bless it. 

Drew Brees plays well in a system designed for good QB play over the years after playing well in another system- he's overrated. 

Lamar Jackson plays 1 good season in a system that we've  seen crash and burn 2 or 3 seasons in, literally tailored to his inadequacies as a QB, and he's elite. 

Joe Montana was let go in favor of Steve Young and that's considered a black mark on his legacy? 

Steve Young isn't widely considered a top 10 All-timer? 

What kind of malarkey is this?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Also, "ranking" players is totally asinine and based off completely random and incoherent criteria that literally can't apply to all of them equally because every player has different abilities and skills. Which is why the entire concept of being able to determine "the best ever" is stupid.

Frame this post to the forum.

• Like 1

It would be nice if there could be a mandatory 24 hour waiting period before making posts like this after a game - particularly a playoff game.  Drew Brees is a class act, who ANY team would love to have as their quarterback.  The man is one of the best to ever play the game and he deserves whatever accolades he receives.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Bless it. 

Drew Brees plays well in a system designed for good QB play over the years after playing well in another system- he's overrated. 

Lamar Jackson plays 1 good season in a system that we've  seen crash and burn 2 or 3 seasons in, literally tailored to his inadequacies as a QB, and he's elite. 

Joe Montana was let go in favor of Steve Young and that's considered a black mark on his legacy? 

Steve Young isn't widely considered a top 10 All-timer? 

What kind of malarkey is this?

Lol why diss Lamar for that? Even if he doesn't pan out as a HOF, what he is doing THIS season is Elite and why is most likely going to win MVP.

No, his playoff resume statistically is one of the best but he's had Kurt Warner type bad luck with his defenses in that they've literally cost him 3 games where he played very well.

That 2011 NFC Divisional against 49ers and 2018-2019 playoffs.

Then you have the obvious of career yardage, TDs and percentage. I mean, the 5,000 yard seasons coupled with 5 of top 6 completion percentages???

He's my #2 all-time and one who if he had say 4 rings to Brady's 6 I might even put him #1, maybe.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Also, "ranking" players is totally asinine and based off completely random and incoherent criteria that literally can't apply to all of them equally because every player has different abilities and skills. Which is why the entire concept of being able to determine "the best ever" is stupid.

More importantly, different situations which is more important than anything else. I often wonder what NFL bust would do if they were on different teams.  

I feel like, on balance he's appropriately rated. Some go a little too far with how great they think he is, but some are overly dismissive, or don't give him enough credit. I think it mostly results in him being fairly rated.

I haven't really thought it fully through, but I could see him sneaking in as a top 10 QB of the Super Bowl era. I'm not going to try and wrap guys like Sid Luckman or Norm Van Brocklin into it.

No. Its silly to even think that. Brees is one of the all-time great QBs. What it shows me that its hard to win in the NFL. Everyone expected the Saints to beat the Rams last season and everyone expected the Saints to beat the Vikings this season. If anything the media pumps up the idea of how impossible it is to go into that dome in the playoffs and win. Then when the Rams or the Vikings to it that makes people question Payton and Brees. To me thats really unfair. Now with that said, has Brees fail to live up to his play during the regular season when the playoffs came as of late? Yes. At the same time I can say, what do you expect from a 40yr old QB? A 40yr old QB who went up against Wade Phillips and the Rams tough defense and then Mike Zimmer and the Vikings tough defense. What I want to say is why Payton thought it was a smart idea to only run the ball 16 times? Only 12 times by their backs. Ill also add that the Saints issue with not giving Thomas help hurts. Thomas was 7/70. Thats not good enough because no other weapon had more than 54yds in the receiving game. I thought the Saints learned their lesson last season when Thomas was 4/36 in the NFCCG and when the Rams started to shutdown Kamara in the 2nd half in the passing game nobody else did anything help out. So again Brees isnt overrated. It just shows you how tough it is to win the NFL and I think Payton and FO need to do a better job to help Brees out. I feel like they ask him to do everything all the time and not realize he is 40yrs old and shouldnt be ask to carry the entire team constantly game after game. 

Brady and Montana really muddied the waters with these topics. Winning a SB is hard. Even then, catching lightning in a bottle twice is really hard. Some of the most talented, most renowned QBs of all-time finish with 1 ring or less. 

He didn’t play well yesterday but he’s also a 40 YO quarterback who couldn’t get 4 seconds to throw. Yesterday’s performance doesn’t indict his whole career.