Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

15 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

He also didn't run, probably because he packed on 15+ lbs in water weight. No chance he plays close to 210 on game day.

h6jt2mt.png

If these guys really wanted to maximize their athletic profiles, the best way to do it is do bulk up after the conclusion of the CFB season, do all the power drills at the combine, cut until pro day and do all their agility drills there. 

Not running or doing agility drills at all when that's part of your bread and butter as a dual threat QB is a bad look to me.

1 hour ago, Danger said:
16 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

He also didn't run, probably because he packed on 15+ lbs in water weight. No chance he plays close to 210 on game day.

h6jt2mt.png

Expand  

If these guys really wanted to maximize their athletic profiles, the best way to do it is do bulk up after the conclusion of the CFB season, do all the power drills at the combine, cut until pro day and do all their agility drills there. 

Not running or doing agility drills at all when that's part of your bread and butter as a dual threat QB is a bad look to me

Nicely done pairing the pucture with bread and butter!!!

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Not running or doing agility drills at all when that's part of your bread and butter as a dual threat QB is a bad look to me.

Whoever advised Daniels and Nabers to approach the combine and pro day the way they did should never be advising any college athlete ever again. 

On 3/29/2024 at 9:45 AM, Danger said:

To me, avoiding doing certain drills at a Combine or pro day makes me think they're hiding something (unless they're injured).

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 10:45 AM, Danger said:

I feel like that's just the go-to these days with the athletic QBs. Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Trey Lance, Malik Willis, etc. I don't think those guys did ANY athletic testing. Anthony Richardson is the only exception I can think of in recent memory, and it surprised me he worked out.

Really, it seems like we might never see QBs taken in the top 5 do the athletic testing anymore. Burrow, Tua, Lawrence, Wilson, Stroud, Young, Williams, Daniels, Maye, McCarthy (did some agility drills, no 40)... none of them worked out. It's just not really a thing anymore. 

Edited by BRANDON26841X

26 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Feeling more and more like Brian Thomas Jr is a top-11 lock.

So - as an example - Minnesota goes to 5, and Chargers take him at 11? Otherwise, I am not sure where else I see it. 

Jets? 

29 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Feeling more and more like Brian Thomas Jr is a top-11 lock.

Man I really hope so. 4 WR's and at least 4 QB's in the top 11 would slide some real good prospects down the draft board.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

So - as an example - Minnesota goes to 5, and Chargers take him at 11? Otherwise, I am not sure where else I see it. 

Jets? 

Minnesota goes to 4 for a QB. WRs go 5, 6, 9. BTJ goes 11 to Cardinals.

Minnesota goes to 5 for a QB. WRs go 4, 6, 9. BTJ goes 11 to the Chargers.

WRs go 4, 5, 6. Minnesota only moves up to 9 for a QB to make sure the Broncos don't jump them. BTJ goes 11 to the Bears.

QBs go 1, 2, 3, 4. WRs go 5, 6, 9. Minnesota moves out of 11 with the Bills. BTJ goes 11 to Buffalo.

A lot of these scenarios hinge on someone moving up for a QB, but I think a QB trade up somewhere in the top-10 is almost a certainty. 11 (or 12 really, now that I'm thinking about it) is going to be the spot where one of these teams that traded back finds their consolation prize WR after missing out on the big 3 to get a ton of extra draft capital.

And BTJ is worth that pick as well. He's getting overshadowed by the big 3, but guys with his production and size/athleticism are very rare.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Man I really hope so. 4 WR's and at least 4 QB's in the top 11 would slide some real good prospects down the draft board.

I'm not sure the draft has a ton of top end talent beyond those guys though. The EDGE class has every type of flavor, but no blue chip player. Quinyon Mitchell I could see as a top end player. There are like 7 first round quality OL, but they were always going to be available throughout the entirety of the first round. And then there is Brock Bowers, who plays tight end.

I've done a few mock drafts right now, and it seems like being in the top-7 is great (3 QBs, 3 WRs, + Joe Alt), and being in the 16-24 range is ideal. Between is fine as well, but after about 24, you might as well just trade back and try to get more picks in the 24-64 range. Lots of players in the same level in that range.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

I'm not sure the draft has a ton of top end talent beyond those guys though. The EDGE class has every type of flavor, but no blue chip player. Quinyon Mitchell I could see as a top end player. There are like 7 first round quality OL, but they were always going to be available throughout the entirety of the first round. And then there is Brock Bowers, who plays tight end.

I've done a few mock drafts right now, and it seems like being in the top-7 is great (3 QBs, 3 WRs, + Joe Alt), and being in the 16-24 range is ideal. Between is fine as well, but after about 24, you might as well just trade back and try to get more picks in the 24-64 range. Lots of players in the same level in that range.

For a team like the Saints that likely aren't in play for a QB and probably not a WR at pick #14, this draft is basically best case scenario for having top talents that aren't QB/WR fall further than they should. Guys like Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga come to mind as players that might not be around at pick #14 in other draft years, but with the QB/WR runs expected to happen at least one of them should fall. Then there's guys like Dallas Turner and Brock Bowers who are great/elite prospects at their respective positions that could potentially fall to a team like the Saints. So I'd be thrilled if Brian Thomas joined the other 3 WR's in the top 11. 

• Like 1

Las Vegas (the books, not the Raiders) is saying their odds are with Drake Maye being the second QB picked. I still think Jayden Daniels is drafted just ahead of him. I heard one analyst say that he thinks Maye is only #6 in his quarterback rankings (but he obviously won't be drafted that way).

6 minutes ago, Mr.UFO said:

Las Vegas (the books, not the Raiders) is saying their odds are with Drake Maye being the second QB picked. I still think Jayden Daniels is drafted just ahead of him. I heard one analyst say that he thinks Maye is only #6 in his quarterback rankings (but he obviously won't be drafted that way).

Is that "analyst" Chris Simms?